Struggling with balance (new skates) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Struggling with balance (new skates)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You can’t buy direct from Edea though, they don’t sell through their website. On their website they even show brio and motivo wothout blades, and those definitely come as a set with blades. So i guess for overtures it depends which dealer you buy from, but most i found when i was looking (this was a few years ago) sold all the lower level boots (the first three edea models) already mounted.

That's interesting because no where I know of sells them pre-mounted. Boot only. And this is all over the world.

Elija

On the Ice
That's interesting because no where I know of sells them pre-mounted. Boot only. And this is all over the world.

Just edited my post as you typed this - I think perhaps it’s in smaller countries with very limited markets. I really don’t know. My country only has like three shops selling figure skates, and that’s how they come here. I do know people who have bought them like that and then switched out the blades though

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just edited my post as you typed this - I think perhaps it’s in smaller countries with very limited markets. I really don’t know. My country only has like three shops selling figure skates, and that’s how they come here. I do know people who have bought them like that and then switched out the blades though

That's fine. I never said to buy them off the website, we buy them through dealers just like most any brand. Shops shouldn't be doing that with the pre-mount but whatever.

My skates aren't Edea (dislike them) and they're custom and I get them right at the factory with the rep.

Elija

On the Ice
That's fine. I never said to buy them off the website, we buy them through dealers just like most any brand. Shops shouldn't be doing that with the pre-mount but whatever.

My skates aren't Edea (dislike them) and they're custom and I get them right at the factory with the rep.

I wish that were possible here. Unfortunately we are geographically as far from any skate manufacturer as possible. As in, 13+ hour flight to California, 20+ to Europe :(

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I wish that were possible here. Unfortunately we are geographically as far from any skate manufacturer as possible. As in, 13+ hour flight to California, 20+ to Europe :(

More like it's something I do because I'm former elite, now pro.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I know. But it’s nice that you can. Our skaters struggle to get to that level due to lack of resources.

I busted my tail for years. It wasn't handed to me because I'm from a North American country, it was actually harder because of so many other skaters in the system, I'm insulted and done here now.

Elija

On the Ice
I busted my tail for years. It wasn't handed to me because I'm from a North American country, it was actually harder because of so many other skaters in the system, I'm insulted and done here now.

Um, wow ok, that’s not at all what I was meaning. Never even crossed my mind. I’m well aware how much work skating takes. I was simply saying I wish we had more rinks, coaches and opportunities for skating where I live. Wasn’t even about you personally.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Looks pretty common to me. http://skatesus.com/category/ice/ice-skates/ Skates US has mounted my roller skates perfectly and is reputable. I would say that the beginner has to strengthen the ankle muscles.
No, the OP has to go back to the shop, and have the tech check out the boot fit and blade mount. Blades are typically initially mounted with a "temporary (or trial) mount" for a good reason: the skater tries out the mount, and gets the blades readjusted if needed. In some instances, the range of adjustment in the temporary mount is not enough, the blades need to be removed, the old holes need to be plugged, and the blades need to be remounted. The blade mount needs to be customized for a specific skater.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No, the OP has to go back to the shop, and have the tech check out the boot fit and blade mount. Blades are typically initially mounted with a "temporary (or trial) mount" for a good reason: the skater tries out the mount, and gets the blades readjusted if needed. In some instances, the range of adjustment in the temporary mount is not enough, the blades need to be removed, the old holes need to be plugged, and the blades need to be remounted. The blade mount needs to be customized for a specific skater.

:clap::agree:

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Hope this is not too off-topic (apologies, OP!):

I am now curious whether these Edea Overture boots sold with the blade are all temporarily mounted then.

E.g. here https://www.skatehut.co.uk/skates/i...sto=nosto-wrapper-product-details-bottom-copy

https://www.skates.co.uk/edea-boys-...DSVEkkfnEwxBPX4tMuelWvVC1CYByT0hoCIBYQAvD_BwE

Is this a scam or just bad practise? Is there anything we can/should do about it? It's pretty bad for any newbies who try to buy better skates I assume...I mean, I certainly would have fallen for it until 2 weeks ago or so (basically, before I received some wonderful advice from experienced people on here and on our regional FB group!)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It's fairly common in the UK, I believe. A friend bought her Overtures with blades from a reputable skate shop in the UK. They came as a set, although the blades are screwed not riveted and can be moved if necessary.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Hope this is not too off-topic (apologies, OP!):

I am now curious whether these Edea Overture boots sold with the blade are all temporarily mounted then.

E.g. here https://www.skatehut.co.uk/skates/i...sto=nosto-wrapper-product-details-bottom-copy

https://www.skates.co.uk/edea-boys-...DSVEkkfnEwxBPX4tMuelWvVC1CYByT0hoCIBYQAvD_BwE

Is this a scam or just bad practise? Is there anything we can/should do about it? It's pretty bad for any newbies who try to buy better skates I assume...I mean, I certainly would have fallen for it until 2 weeks ago or so (basically, before I received some wonderful advice from experienced people on here and on our regional FB group!)

They should all come with temporary mounting. The bad practice is the seller not TELLING you that. It's not only bad that they don't watch you skate and adjust them for you, it's not SAFE to use a temporary mount for a long time. So the manufacturer sells a set with a temporary mount. So either the shop is adding screws for a permanent mount before confirming blade placement or they're letting you leave without making the mount safe long term.

ETA: If you did buy the ones in your link and they were permanently mounted. It's not 100% permanent, you can move them, there will jsut be many more holes to plug, and you can only move them so many times before you've made too many holes. Just another reason why buying skates off the internet is not the wisest choice. If you buy from a fitter the price will be nearly the same and you should get your mounting done included. If you buy online then have the mount moved, you'll be paying for the fitter to move the mount, so you didn't save any money. Plus heat molding etc. If you buy an Edea from a fitter they should be trained in properly shaping them, which will be included in the price. If you buy them online and need them punched/stretched/pinched etc, you'll be paying for that.

amb

Spectator
To add to the chorus: where I am (northeastern US, with many reputable skating shops), lots of quality boots are sold as a kit with blades but the blades are only screwed down with a few screws, and a mandatory part of fitting is, after the boots are well-fitted to your feet, to lace them up properly and at least have you walk around (if not skate) to check blade positioning. Diagnosing skate problems over the internet is a chancy thing but it does sound to me like the blade isn't where it's needed. Worse, if the skate is only held down with a couple of screws in slotted holes it's an accident waiting to happen.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
ETA: If you did buy the ones in your link and they were permanently mounted. It's not 100% permanent, you can move them, there will jsut be many more holes to plug, and you can only move them so many times before you've made too many holes. Just another reason why buying skates off the internet is not the wisest choice. If you buy from a fitter the price will be nearly the same and you should get your mounting done included. If you buy online then have the mount moved, you'll be paying for the fitter to move the mount, so you didn't save any money. Plus heat molding etc. If you buy an Edea from a fitter they should be trained in properly shaping them, which will be included in the price. If you buy them online and need them punched/stretched/pinched etc, you'll be paying for that.

Even though I just started discovering the world of buying/fitting iceskates, I need to second this! :D

I just visited the fitter in my home-icerink on last Sunday, and they've been really helpful and genuine with their recommendations. They actually would've gone for a cheaper skate in the first place, but when I gave them some more insight, they cautiously started suggesting I could try the EDEA Overture but also warned me about pricing etc.

I don't know if this was a selling technique or something, but in the end it made me feel much more comfortable buying directly from this icerink-shop and have them fit the boots for me (based on what they observed/measured and on what my coach recommends).

I feel like I would've missed out on so much insight and good situational advice if I would've bought my boots online. It also makes me much more comfortable with the actual decision for specific boots, and because they'll know me they will also support me further in the future.

So, if you get the chance, defo meet up with a professional fitter and ask them to revise your blades and see what they can do. Even if they don't change much, even a tiny bit can matter a lot and provide peace of mind that your equipment is safe and fitted for your needs.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There is a huge difference of them coming as a kit or them coming already MOUNTED. The latter is what I have been saying should not be, especially if it's a perma-mount.

Annie122

Rinkside
Hey all, I recently got my first pair of figure skates (Edea Overture) fitted by my local dealer and have tried them on the ice for a few hours. I noticed that, compared to the rentals, there was much more lateral movement and I had trouble balancing on the flat part of my blades (Usually leaning inwards). I read that this could be due to poor fitting however, they're very comfortable and snug. I can fit a few fingers down the side of my boot up until my ankle bone (which presses against the side of the boot). I am wondering if this is just part of the breaking in process as the ankle part of the boot is still very stiff. I have also been using the recommended lacing techniques. Could this issue be my lack of ability, or are the skates not broken in enough? Here is an exaggerated image of my problem www.hockeytutorial.com/skating-tips/ankles-straight-ice-skating-ankles-inwards-skates/www.hockeytutorial.com/skating-tips/ankles-straight-ice-skating-ankles-inwards-skates/

Thanks for any help! :)

Sooooo did your skates have all the screws in them? Or just a couple of them so that after you got on the ice you could go back with feedback on blade placement?

I've seen that done with friends skates at pro shops where they do the assessment based on walking, but don't have the ability to see the skater on ice. But it's VERY temporary.

In any case, the chorus telling you to go back to the shop where you bought them is correct.

Pingoo

Rinkside
Hey all, I ended up getting a full refund. I bought a new pair in a bigger size. They seem to have fixed most of my issues, however I should see about blade drilling. In response to Annie122, there are only 4 screws on each skate