Country
Austria
Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

My cat jumps better Axels than me.
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
There was a short report about Olga on Austrian TV this week. You can watch it here (not sure if it is geoblocked outside of Austria though): https://vorarlberg.orf.at/tv/stories/3100448/

Basic translation of what Olga says: If I think of figure skating, I have positive emotions only. I just love it because of the jumps and spins, the air in my face and the sound of my blades on the ice. I started figure skating because my dad plays ice hockey as a hobby and my parents took me to the rink.

Elena Romanova (Olga's coach): I have colleagues in Ukraine and they told me there is a very talented girl but no coaches for her level. I just said as a joke that they should send her to me. Two weeks later her dad called me and they came to Austria.

Olga, twelve years at the time, liked it so much in Austria that she decided to move with her mother, while her father stayed in Ukraine.

Olga: To be honest, at the time I didn't realize what the move to another country meant. I just viewed it as a big adventure. But of course it was not that easy. I didn't speak any German, had to get used to all the new things and study a lot. But now I am very happy, I love Austria and the beautiful landscape and the good quality of living.

[Olga's German is almost perfect now, btw. And you can hear the distinct Austrian dialect as compared to the high German that is spoken in Germany. :biggrin:]

Elena Romanova: I was relatively sure that Olga would skate well [at worlds], but I did not anticipate her excellent result. It was a big surprise for all of us.

Let's hope we will have another such surprise at the Olympics next season! :cheer:

alexocfp

Final Flight
Country
United-States
There was a short report about Olga on Austrian TV this week. You can watch it here (not sure if it is geoblocked outside of Austria though): https://vorarlberg.orf.at/tv/stories/3100448/

Basic translation of what Olga says: If I think of figure skating, I have positive emotions only. I just love it because of the jumps and spins, the air in my face and the sound of my blades on the ice. I started figure skating because my dad plays ice hockey as a hobby and my parents took me to the rink.

Elena Romanova (Olga's coach): I have colleagues in Ukraine and they told me there is a very talented girl but no coaches for her level. I just said as a joke that they should send her to me. Two weeks later her dad called me and they came to Austria.

Olga, twelve years at the time, liked it so much in Austria that she decided to move with her mother, while her father stayed in Ukraine.

Olga: To be honest, at the time I didn't realize what the move to another country meant. I just viewed it as a big adventure. But of course it was not that easy. I didn't speak any German, had to get used to all the new things and study a lot. But now I am very happy, I love Austria and the beautiful landscape and the good quality of living.

[Olga's German is almost perfect now, btw. And you can hear the distinct Austrian dialect as compared to the high German that is spoken in Germany. :biggrin:]

Elena Romanova: I was relatively sure that Olga would skate well [at worlds], but I did not anticipate her excellent result. It was a big surprise for all of us.

Let's hope we will have another such surprise at the Olympics next season! :cheer:
Thanks for sharing! What a story.

Not geoblocked in the USA.