The boooots | Golden Skate

The boooots

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
I have been creeping around and see there is a lot of great boot advice being dished out.
I enjoy skating as a leisurely activity. Perhaps in the spring I would look at lessons but for now I just do some basic fun skating. I wear Riedell diamonds which are perfect for my level, or lack thereof, but I wonder how long I can expect them to last, and where would I go from there because 1. I was around 200 lbs when I got them nearly 3 yrs ago and only recently started skating in them again after dropping a lot of weight. So most of the time I have used them I was quite heavy. Also, unlike Jon Snow I have no problem “bending the knee” and I’m talking those skate tongues are close to being able to fold in half. I don’t anticipate I would be jumping in the foreseeable future but even so, being I’m still heavier around ~160 and aggressive on the knee bends, when the day comes to get new skates should I consider going up 1 level? For the time being the skates still feel great so it’s not a pressing matter, but something to ponder. thanks for attending my lecture!

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I have been creeping around and see there is a lot of great boot advice being dished out.
I enjoy skating as a leisurely activity. Perhaps in the spring I would look at lessons but for now I just do some basic fun skating. I wear Riedell diamonds which are perfect for my level, or lack thereof, but I wonder how long I can expect them to last, and where would I go from there because 1. I was around 200 lbs when I got them nearly 3 yrs ago and only recently started skating in them again after dropping a lot of weight. So most of the time I have used them I was quite heavy. Also, unlike Jon Snow I have no problem “bending the knee” and I’m talking those skate tongues are close to being able to fold in half. I don’t anticipate I would be jumping in the foreseeable future but even so, being I’m still heavier around ~160 and aggressive on the knee bends, when the day comes to get new skates should I consider going up 1 level? For the time being the skates still feel great so it’s not a pressing matter, but something to ponder. thanks for attending my lecture!
If you like Riedell and they fit you well, I absolutely LOVED my Motions, which I got when I got serious about lessons and started preparing for tests. They lasted me almost 3 years and had great support. For reference, I am about 150 lbs and do jump... they took a while to break in, but were fantastic.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Your boots sound beyond cooked and done. You need to go see a pro skate fitter (not someone that's just in a rink skate shop and deals with mostly hockey), and have them measure and trace your feet and see what is best for you, for all you know it may not even be a Riedell.
Also, depending on your skill set is going to base the stiffness, not your knee bend. I've always had killer tremendous knee bend and it didn't make me have to go up a level back when I started skating or anywhere there after while training/competing in ice dance nor freestyle (singles).

That said, if Riedells do end up being a brand that works for you (after fitting), and based on all of the info you told us, I would not put in you in anything lower than a 910 Flair or 255 Motion (both 70 stiffness in Riedell standards). Stiffness standards are not universal across all of the brands. What they call a 70 stiffness in Riedells isn't the same in say, a Jackson (where it would probably be way too stiff for you), so just something to be aware of as you venture into this wonderful world of skating. ;)

Good luck, if you need anything my inbox is always open.

Last edited:

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
Your boots sound beyond cooked and done. You need to go see a pro skate fitter (not someone that's just in a rink skate shop and deals with mostly hockey), and have them measure and trace your feet and see what is best for you, for all you know it may not even be a Riedell.
Also, depending on your skill set is going to base the stiffness, not your knee bend. I've always had killer tremendous knee bend and it didn't make me have to go up a level back when I started skating or anywhere there after while training/competing in ice dance nor freestyle (singles).

That said, if Riedells do end up being a brand that works for you (after fitting), and based on all of the info you told us, I would not put in you in anything lower than a 910 Flair or 255 Motion (both 70 stiffness in Riedell standards). Stiffness standards are not universal across all of the brands. What they call a 70 stiffness in Riedells isn't the same in say, a Jackson (where it would probably be way too stiff for you), so just something to be aware of as you venture into this wonderful world of skating. ;)

Good luck, if you need anything my inbox is always open.
Thanks for your response! Looking back on my post history I got these > 3 years ago. I did actually get fitted into Riedells, but would probably go back to the shop anyhow cause if I’m gonna drop that much $$ on something I might as well be certain. Do those boots come with a blade?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for your response! Looking back on my post history I got these > 3 years ago. I did actually get fitted into Riedells, but would probably go back to the shop anyhow cause if I’m gonna drop that much $$ on something I might as well be certain. Do those boots come with a blade?
No. You would have to buy blades separate. Look at John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro, those are the best two brands and the lowest they make, which both are intermediate blades.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well, MK also makes Galaxy, which is a beginner blade, but it's not clear what level the OP is skating at.
Aware of the MK Galaxy, I was more talking about there's nothing much lower in JW lineup. Either way, I wouldn't suggest the Galaxy anyway.

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
Not really at any level. I took lessons a long time ago as a tween. I really just glide around and go where the physics take me a few hrs a week and alternate that with scoring some “aerobics” points on the fit bit or maybe “cardio” if I can get going fast enough. The one basic spin, crossovers, twirly this way and that, enjoy spread eagles and what not. Whatever feels right. Real casual level. I just really enjoy skating.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not really at any level. I took lessons a long time ago as a tween. I really just glide around and go where the physics take me a few hrs a week and alternate that with scoring some “aerobics” points on the fit bit or maybe “cardio” if I can get going fast enough. The one basic spin, crossovers, twirly this way and that, enjoy spread eagles and what not. Whatever feels right. Real casual level. I just really enjoy skating.
That's a good start. My recommendations for skates/blades earlier in the thread still stands. :)

Have fun skating!

annetter

Rinkside
Aware of the MK Galaxy, I was more talking about there's nothing much lower in JW lineup. Either way, I wouldn't suggest the Galaxy anyway.
I wonder why you would not suggest MK Galaxy - I am considering it as an adult beginner (around half the prices of Coronation Ace and MK Professional available to me now).

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I wonder why you would not suggest MK Galaxy - I am considering it as an adult beginner (around half the prices of Coronation Ace and MK Professional available to me now).

Because it won't do what you need it to do once you've learned to go around in circles at a public skate
^This exactly! I am a professional and won't suggest a crap blade (nor boot for that matter) for you if I know it's not going to be what you need at your level.