The commentator is terrible | Golden Skate

The commentator is terrible

sandyi

Spectator
This commentator she is shocking her comments have no relevance most of the time to the skating .....ladies free live now ladiy clearly had a bad skate she said absolutely nothing Her information is inaccurate most of the time shd stops through mid sentence terrible .....

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
She's definitely not the level of Ted and the TV commentators, but we should be glad the ISU or the Nebelhorn organizers took the trouble to provide the audience with a commentary. They didn't have to.

RUKen

Rinkside
I believe that she identified herself as Ria Schwendinger--who is an ice dancer that lives and trains in Oberstdorf. Her mother was one of the award presenters for the ladies' medal winners. Whether I am correct about this identification, I am certain that she referred to Oberstdorf as her hometown. In short, she is a young, local person who was recruited, probably on short notice, to provide some commentary to the live-stream. I found her unobtrusive, and enjoyed hearing commentary from someone on site.

katymay

Medalist
This commentator she is shocking her comments have no relevance most of the time to the skating .....ladies free live now ladiy clearly had a bad skate she said absolutely nothing Her information is inaccurate most of the time shd stops through mid sentence terrible .....
.I'm okay with her. Assuming she is German, speaking a 2nd language-English. As the competition went on, I got used to her. I thought it was kind of cool they had a commentator who spoke English.

readernick

Medalist
I rather enjoyed her understated positive commentary. As someone who speaks several foreign languages (with different levels of fluency) , I also had respect for her ability to convey her thoughts clearly in a foreign language. She made a few factual mistakes, but in general she didn't interrupt the performances and tried to focus on the positives she saw in each skater. I believe it was Ria's first attempt at commentary, I think she did really well.

oaponice

Spectator
I thought she was great. Obviously English was not her native language but she is a young figure skater herself and like Ted Barton did not talk during their performances and did not pick holes in their skating. Well done Ria. Also loved the smallest flower girl.
Oberstdorf really made the best of really bad situation, well done to everyone.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought she was great. Obviously English was not her native language but she is a young figure skater herself and like Ted Barton did not talk during their performances and did not pick holes in their skating. Well done Ria. Also loved the smallest flower girl.
Great first post. Post often. :)

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Like everyone else, I was ok with her, and I appreciate her effort, although it was clear that she wasn't expert at her assignment and lacked some knowledge, but I knew she made a lot of effort to provide the service. Considering the situation I think it's unfair to complain about her performance - actually I would prefer her to many of the "professional" well-known commentators.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Our BC office of health, Bonnie Henry, has coined a phrase during covid: "be calm, be kind, be safe".

There is a style of commentary that I appreciate (personified by Ted Barton) that could use the phrase "be calm, be kind, be silent (during the program)".

It sounds like this commentator subscribes to that style.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm just gonna have to call you out! You've been a member for over 12 years and this is your first post! :clap::cheer::hb:Looking forward to more!!

viennaskater

Medalist
Interesting to get peoples' opinions on this commentator. I agree that she was not very professional, but I found her far preferable to the total idiot man who commentated last season at the Euros (which happily I saw live, so only heard his appalling commentary on the videos) and at Four CC. He had a dreadful style and had little technical knowledge. Painful! I think his background was horse-racing commentary ... what's up with that??

I really liked that she kept completely quiet during the performances. The only time I don't mind any sort of talking is when someone like Chris Howarth points something out regarding an element, but he certainly doesn't rabbit away, he saves his comments until afterwards, which is great and very helpful.

In addition, her voice was fairly quiet and unobtrusive - good.

icetug

Medalist
I may be a little biased as I liked Ria as a dance figure skater very much (and was devastated when she had to retire). Surely she's not a Ted Burton but I think she did very well for a debut in a foreign language. She provided comments for three consecutive days and I could imagine how bone-tired she was on Saturday so I didn't even pay attention to her mistakes (if she made any...). And it was nice to hear her soft voice :)

FayD

spring will come 🌸
On the Ice
Interesting to get peoples' opinions on this commentator. I agree that she was not very professional, but I found her far preferable to the total idiot man who commentated last season at the Euros (which happily I saw live, so only heard his appalling commentary on the videos) and at Four CC. He had a dreadful style and had little technical knowledge. Painful! I think his background was horse-racing commentary ... what's up with that??
Calling him "idiot man" is a bit rude, but his commentary was indeed very bad and wouldn't be informative even for a casual watcher. Not to mention some of the plain offensive comments at 4CC like jokes about the virus and the whole thing with Jun's hat. :palmf: I feel the bare minimum for every commentator should be to not be totally biased or insulting the skaters, but this seems more and more rare.
That being said, I don't expect super detailed and professional commentary for Challengers anyway (or commentary at all), so the NT commentator can be cut some slack.

bouncy

☀️
On the Ice
Agreed. To me, it's quite obvious that English is not her native tongue, and I personally do not think it's something to be hyper-critical about.
As is already mentioned, I'm thankful as well the hosts still managed to find a commentator though they didn't have to.
She has a lovely voice btw.

Last edited: