The thread for all figure skaters rolling around | Golden Skate

The thread for all figure skaters rolling around

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi there,

I know that some countries have lifted their restrictions regarding icerinks by now, but there's still many where icerinks aren't allowed to reopen or just couldn't reopen safely or due to financial reasons so far (e.g. in my city, the main rink is still closed!)

Like many others, I have picked up skating on wheels while lockdown and must say it's great fun! :agree:
I've chosen to go with Inline Skates as they were the most feasible solution (Snowwhite skates or other figure skating roller skates were completely sold out and Edinburgh has TERRIBLE roads)...so far, I have absolutely no regrets! :luv17:

It's not the same as Figure Skating of course, but for someone like me who was just working their way through various intermediate figure skating levels, I believe it has helped me tremendously in building up leg strength and further balance. I finally have well-defined outside edges, one-leg slalom abilities and more, and hope that those skills will transfer over somewhat onto figure skates once I'm back on the ice!

My question for the forum now is:

Who else has started rolling around (be it actual figure skating off-ice skates, quad skates, aggressive skates or inline skates) and enjoys it?

How far were you able to transfer iceskating skills onto wheels?

What things go well? What things don't work at all? Is there anything you can do better on wheels than on iceskates, actually?!

Will you stick with it when you get back to the ice or do you consider it a mere workaround solution to keep active until the rink is back open for good?

I appreciate that the main focus for most will of course be figure skating, but I also know that some rinks already announced they won't reopen which leaves some people in pretty sad situations (my heart goes out to all of yous!).

I myself have decided to stick with both. As a non-pro, I don't get as much icetime from my rink (public session times aren't very suitable for working folk so I'm kinda limited to 1-2x a week á 2hrs!), so I'll satisfy my skating urges off-ice with complementary urban skating. I've learned to embrace all pebbles, surfaces and obstacles on the ground and have to say, it's been quite the adventure! :shocked:

How about you? :) I want to know everything about your experience on off-ice skates, no matter which! This also applies to any folk who were already rolling around before Covid happened, of course! <3

Cheers
Snorlax

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Great topic. Good for you! I was a figure skater in my youthful years and I did roller skate from time to time. I was better on ice than on wheels but it was fun. Our roller rink was closed a couple of years ago. I do sometimes like to look at roller skating championships on youtube. I'm from Canada so roller skating is not as big here as it is in the US. We all head to the ice rink when winter comes, some even skate outdoors. Our rink is going to open to the public in a couple of weeks. They have a covid plan, you have to register - no drop in - and there is a protocol for putting on your ice skates. I'm not sure about the figure skating club, as I'm not active in any figure skating now. Still I'm looking forward to the new FS season and possibly returning to the ice. All the best!

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Aww, a response and I overlooked it for a solid two days, shame on me! :eeking:

Thanks for your response - I hope that this thread draws out some more rolling (figure)skaters!

I hope that your return to the ice is soon and permanent. The UK government is currently hinting more and more about future restrictions being increased again, so I still don't think my rink will reopen anytime soon.

I'd love to live in Canada when it comes to skating (both ice and rollerskating). The roads here in Scotland are really bad and narrow (at least in Edi) and the weather isn't exactly the best (you get 4 seasons in 30mins :D ) While your lakes etc. freeze over in Winter, our Winter is just wet and around 0°C, some snow but never cold enough to make water bodies freeze over.

Also, you have two amazing skate Youtubers based both in Toronto, as far as I know - Bill Stoppard and Shaun from Shoptask - looks like you also have plenty of skateable ground and space! (Yes I'm slightly jealous ;))

All the best to you too - and I hope that others chip in their rollerskating stories :cool14:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I roller skated/bladed all the time as a kid. Then I switched to figure skating at 10 and completely lost my ability to skate in a roller rink. I could probably still do it on pavement, but I'm not willing to try...

Those who can do both have some kind of magic power that I lack. Or maybe they just started figure skating once their brains were fully developed. With me, I can practically hear 20-year-old neurons deep in my brain going, "PARTS OF YOUR BLADES ARE MOVING INDEPENDENTLY OF ONE ANOTHER. STOP NOW. THIS IS DANGEROUS."

So yeah, be careful, everyone! :laugh:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hello! I'm ashamed that I've only just found this thread!

I have Off-Ice brand wheels, which I've just swapped to my lovely new Risport Royal Pros after a couple of months on Graf Edmonton Specials. So far, I've only been able to skate on them for 5 minutes in the sitting room (weather has been too bad to go to Plymouth to skate on the Hoe but I'm hopeful for this afternoon) but I am much happier already.

The off-ice experience has been a bit of a mixed one for me. I used to roller skate as a child but stopped at the age of 12 when my parents objected to me wearing out wheels at the rate of a set a week. The factory that made the skates said, "Just put her on the ice." When my Off-Ice skates arrived, I was overjoyed and really hoped that I'd be able to practice properly on them, as I was about to start my coaching qualification again (it's all changed since I did it before and now I need the FM levels in order to qualify properly) but I wasn't prepared for The Terror. Now, it probably doesn't help that I'm now 52 and have a leg with metalwork and "issues" but I really hadn't bargained on the fear I felt when I put them on. Honestly, I just stood there and shook! I still do when I first put them on. And I'm far too scared to do much on them at all. It's pathetic. I'm better in the sports hall on Sundays (although that's getting complicated with the new restrictions) but on the Hoe I don't do much more than skate up and down the length and practice edges as it slopes in all directions and has metal things you really need to watch out for. I was just getting the hang of forward inside open mohawks a few weeks ago, when I got caught by a gust of wind (it's really windy up there overlooking Plymouth Sound), flew up in the air and came smack down on my backside, bruising my tailbone. At that point, I was really, REALLY grateful for the transdermal morphine I have for my arthritis as I know I'd have been in a lot more pain without it! But it still put my progress back a while and made me even more nervous. I subsequently nailed the mohawks in the sports hall on the first week we went there but I'm still nervous. It's much more like ice on that surface (smooth, flat, just lovely) but I still can't do a three turn so my hopes of nailing all the Field Moves before getting back on the ice to train properly as fading fast!

The really lovely bit of wheels, however, is the feeling of just flying along slightly downhill on Plymouth Hoe (NOT towards the water!!!) I just relax and go with it and it's honestly glorious. Hopefully the winter weather will be kind to us and we can still do this throughout.

Back home in my moorland village in Cornwall, there's pretty much nowhere to skate. I tried the little car park behind the village hall but it's not flat and needs a lot of sweeping before it's even remotely suitable for wheels. Plus the hall is now opening up for things and the school is open so there are cars using it, which in my opinion is just rude! Don't they know I need that space?! Pfft.

I would really, really like to get to grips with the wheels thing and keep on even if we do get a rink open in Plymouth again. It's a different sport and I dislike being beaten by things. I have long dreamed of happily rolling along esplanades and through parks.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
@hanyuufan5 : I started skating when I was 11, but somehow I managed to convince my brain that wheels are okay too! :D
@WednesdayMarch : Well done on the progress despite struggles and other things that set your exercise mode to hardcore level! 🌟 I know exactly how you feel - it's hard to find good places to roll around on here, and I've had to make compromises with myself and accept that I decided to start skating in a city that is considered rough for skating even by expert level skaters 😵

Falling on wheels is definitely scarier than it is on the ice. I only skate in full protection gear, and fortunately fall very rarely (similar to when I was still on the ice, actually).
Regardless of that, I have skated about 700km or so since I got my skates at the end of June and had a few falls, including one that got me some nasty elbow scrapes and pain - took a while to get over it (physically and mentally), so I can very well understand anyone who is hesitant to get brave on wheels and try new stuff. Anyone who's scared - you can do it, just take it slow and easy at your own personal pace 💜

Despite all this, skating on wheels overall has helped me a great deal with building confidence:

These days, I need to go over rocks and uneven surfaces, cobble stone, clutter, grass, bumps, curbs, drain covers - can't be scared at pebbles anymore.:oops: I need to deal with uphill/downhill stretches and sometimes I may run into impossible situations, but somehow I manage to survive and feel better after every challenge.
Surfaces that scared the s*** out of me before are now "my friends", and I think skating over all these uneven surfaces really helps building strength and muscle memory.

Of course I should mention that I am on inline skates with 80mm wheels, which enable me to realistcally deal with a lot of rough surfaces. Bigger wheels would be even better, and actual off-ice skates like Snowhites would be much less forgiving with the smaller wheels. Big wheels are great in that regard, even though they're not as maneuvrable as small wheels.

While all the ugly surfaces are really good for building strength and balance, I do appreciate finding smooth bits where you can just glide without worries. Totally agree with Wednesday, just flying along some nice path is an unbeatable feeling. I sometimes just focus on my stride and fitness and go back and forth and leave all the stopping/trick drills for another day and it's really meditative not having to constantly think about every little bit.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Kurt Browning is just as amazing on roller skates as he is on ice. I've seen him on ads and TV shows on roller blades, makes it look easy of course!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I had a much better session yesterday! On a lovely smooth sports hall floor in my brand new Risport Royal Pros. Oh, what a difference it makes having comfortable feet, albeit "new" feet because I've never worn these before. Apparently I'm almost "wafting" about like I do on ice! I'm not so sure about that, but it was a nice thing to hear. I'm going to work very hard on building up my fitness and flexibility now. Much more motivated now I know it's isn't always going to be a hellish, dismal experience and no substitute for ice. It's different but that's okay.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
One week on, and my third time in the Royal Pros (skated on Thursday on Plymouth Hoe which is very slopey in all directions and incredibly windy but fun for exercise). Today, in the sports hall, I definitely worked harder and made progress on all the basics, edges, changes of edge, slaloms (one and two feet) and two foot turns (threes and power rockers). Then, nearing the end of the 2 hour session, I managed three turns. Actual threes. Forward outside on both feet and forward inside on my right foot. I am over the moon. Practically delirious with joy and relief.

And now I need a nap.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
One week on, and my third time in the Royal Pros (skated on Thursday on Plymouth Hoe which is very slopey in all directions and incredibly windy but fun for exercise). Today, in the sports hall, I definitely worked harder and made progress on all the basics, edges, changes of edge, slaloms (one and two feet) and two foot turns (threes and power rockers). Then, nearing the end of the 2 hour session, I managed three turns. Actual threes. Forward outside on both feet and forward inside on my right foot. I am over the moon. Practically delirious with joy and relief.

And now I need a nap.
I am very happy about your two recent posts - so good to hear that you got "used" to it and that it's going so much better. 💜 I can relate - my first few sessions on wheels were...odd, and I was a bit demotivated at first, but once you get the hang of it, you want more... 8)

I managed to do a slide stop (Powerstop?) now, which I am super proud of. :D

Usually I wouldn't post a video of moi, but...here we go :ninja:

Not sure if it would work on PIC/Snowwhite skates but if anyone tries and is successful, please let me know :D

I would like some off-ice figure skates too, but due to lack of smooth surfaces, I will remain on my normal Inline Skates and continue to conquer the hills and crazy potholes of Edinburgh:

...so far, it's the other way round and they've conquered me.
My current solution is jumping over them 😅

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Wow, Snorlax, you look like a superhero from a Japanese comic! Very impressive skating! I'll try that on my wheels on Sunday.

Wheels certainly are an acquired taste after ice. I can't see them ever replacing the cold stuff in my heart but I'm starting to enjoy them.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Wow, Snorlax, you look like a superhero from a Japanese comic! Very impressive skating! I'll try that on my wheels on Sunday.

Wheels certainly are an acquired taste after ice. I can't see them ever replacing the cold stuff in my heart but I'm starting to enjoy them.
Thanks a lot! It is funny you say that, because people on Facebook have made similar comments. I've had comparisons to The Matrix, Jessica Jones (???) and The Ninja Turtles :ROFLMAO: Whilst some adults may feel weird about these comparisons, I am a sillybilly and take all of these as encouragement to keep doing what I'm doing :cool:

Regarding the ice - it's been such a long time since I've been on the ice last.... feel like my feet have forgotten what smooth ground is like, I am so used to wobbles now! I'm really, really curious how all the new skills translate into iceskating, I feel like I've progressed a lot in terms of building edges, but who knows, maybe they're all gone once I go back onto my Edeas! :jaw:But still no sign of our city-rink reopening :( I may need to commute to one of the other rinks in the general area, gonna be fun to travel 3hours for a 60min skate! :/

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks a lot! It is funny you say that, because people on Facebook have made similar comments. I've had comparisons to The Matrix, Jessica Jones (???) and The Ninja Turtles :ROFLMAO: Whilst some adults may feel weird about these comparisons, I am a sillybilly and take all of these as encouragement to keep doing what I'm doing :cool:

Regarding the ice - it's been such a long time since I've been on the ice last.... feel like my feet have forgotten what smooth ground is like, I am so used to wobbles now! I'm really, really curious how all the new skills translate into iceskating, I feel like I've progressed a lot in terms of building edges, but who knows, maybe they're all gone once I go back onto my Edeas! :jaw:But still no sign of our city-rink reopening :( I may need to commute to one of the other rinks in the general area, gonna be fun to travel 3hours for a 60min skate! :/
It was definitely a compliment!

I'm hoping to be back on ice in a couple of weeks, three at most. The seasonal rink at the Eden Project (Cornwall) is about 20 miles away from me, closer than the usual "permanent" rink, which is still closed. The next nearest rink is 200 miles away from me. I'm also really curious to find out whether the inline skating, albeit rockered artistic inlines, has done anything to help preserve my ice skills or whether it's just messed me up! I'm hoping it's the former, as I'd like to keep on with the inlines, at least once a week whether I have ice or not. Let's face it, although this pandemic will hopefully eventually be over, the fact is that there may well be more unless humans drastically change their way of living and treatment of other living creatures. And then there's the massive consumption of energy required to keep ice pads frozen. Ice rinks may have their days numbered. I hope not but I'm going to keep skating whatever happens!

Caspen

Spectator
It was definitely a compliment!

I'm hoping to be back on ice in a couple of weeks, three at most. The seasonal rink at the Eden Project (Cornwall) is about 20 miles away from me, closer than the usual "permanent" rink, which is still closed. The next nearest rink is 200 miles away from me. I'm also really curious to find out whether the inline skating, albeit rockered artistic inlines, has done anything to help preserve my ice skills or whether it's just messed me up! I'm hoping it's the former, as I'd like to keep on with the inlines, at least once a week whether I have ice or not. Let's face it, although this pandemic will hopefully eventually be over, the fact is that there may well be more unless humans drastically change their way of living and treatment of other living creatures. And then there's the massive consumption of energy required to keep ice pads frozen. Ice rinks may have their days numbered. I hope not but I'm going to keep skating whatever happens!
Hi there! Did you find out whether the inlines have preserved your skills or built any bad habits? Our local pond has sadly melted and I'm searching for any way to keep skating during the summer when our rink closes (and just to get in more time; ice time is expensive)! I probably won't be able to afford anything like PIC skates, but I'd still really love to hear how it's gone for you. What exercises were most helpful?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Well, things were a little different as apart from the time off the ice, I also had a bad flare up of arthritis, plus completely new boots and blades to deal with! I could feel I'd been away from the ice but the wheels had definitely given me a helping hand in keeping my muscles strong.

As an ex-coach, I'd say that the exercises that help most will always been basic stroking with an emphasis on the correct technique, plus lemons/swizzles, inside and outside edges (both forwards and backwards), crossovers, Russian stroking and landing positions but on both feet/directions. Make sure you're getting as much knee bend as possible, and working your ankles just as hard. Jumps and spins are just the icing on the cake. Turns are useful but it's really the basics that are the most important thing for you to keep going and improving. Good luck!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you; that's really helpful and encouraging! I hope your joints feel better and you're enjoying your new boots and blades. :)
Joints are grim at the moment, but no skating anyway as we only had a brief 3 weeks or so on ice before the UK went back into lockdown and the rink closed. It's only a seasonal rink and our full-time one is being used as a vaccination centre, so goodness only knows when I'll get to use my lovely new boots and blades again. In the meantime, I'm waiting for decent weather and a lifting of lockdown restrictions so I can go somewhere to use my wheels again...

Caspen

Spectator
Joints are grim at the moment, but no skating anyway as we only had a brief 3 weeks or so on ice before the UK went back into lockdown and the rink closed. It's only a seasonal rink and our full-time one is being used as a vaccination centre, so goodness only knows when I'll get to use my lovely new boots and blades again. In the meantime, I'm waiting for decent weather and a lifting of lockdown restrictions so I can go somewhere to use my wheels again...
Oh no! Sorry to hear that. I'm wishing you sunny skies and perfect health! And barring that, I hope the chance to rest your joints does them good and you can get back to peak performance when the time comes. <3

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Oh no! Sorry to hear that. I'm wishing you sunny skies and perfect health! And barring that, I hope the chance to rest your joints does them good and you can get back to peak performance when the time comes. <3
Thank you! Sadly, resting doesn't help and I'm sure the rain causes rust :laugh: but I'm working hard on flexibility and strengthening and hope to be back at a reasonable level of performance without too much delay once we get ice back. Which will most probably be October here in Cornwall. <sigh> Hopefully I'll get to use my wheels before that, though. I'm quite fascinated by this new (to me) discipline and am wanting to try all the frames and wheels...

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Kurt Browning is amazing on roller skates - of course he can do anything on skates, ice or roller. I love his bit on the commercial he does for the reverse mortgage. Kurt truly is the King of the Blade!