Thoughts on Pair's FS at Russian Nats? | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Pair's FS at Russian Nats?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
- Tarasova/Morozov were on their way to their first clean free skate in years until the final minute or so, which is too bad, but all the same they rallied well and she, especially, was obviously overwhelmed by winning the national title again.

- Boikova's throw landings seem to be becoming a problem.

- Pavliuchenko/Khodykin had probably their best free skate, in terms of execution at least.

- Mishina/Galliamov have now underperformed in two nationals in a row, which is a bit of a developing problem given the stakes (particularly next year).

- Panfilova's triple Salchow still looks hopeless, which is a shame when everything else is so good.

- lots of talent in the lower ranks that struggles to get international assignments.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
- lots of talent in the lower ranks that struggles to get international assignments.
Exactly, that's one thing I am glad to see so many Russian competitions, I am enjoying quite a few skaters/pairs which we might miss out in international competitions. I hope they continue to be accessible world wide in the future.

Personally Pavliuchenko/Khodykin was the highlight, I am so happy they got on the podium, while they have been written off by so many. I really hope they will keep improving and remain among the top, they are one of my favourites.

Gutted for Mishina/Galliamov, I expected them on the podium, if by a slim chance on top of it. No doubt they will come back strong.

I am not a fan of Tarasova/Morozov but they deserved the win, even with the fall. Congratulations, it's hard to believe they are by now "senior citizens" of the bunch!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Obviously, we wanted to win," Kozlovskii said, "but what happened, happened. Today, we put out a good fight, we fought for each element, for each second of the program. We had no real preparation and I am proud of my partner, who, regardless of the difficult circumstances this season, was able to pull herself together and help me to pull myself together to give a good performance."

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I loved the competition. 🥰 Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin getting bronze was a wonderful surprise! But i am still so worried about how ill B/K look like

NAOTMAA

Medalist
B/K REALLY need a good rest. Like one of those bed chambers where they put you to sleep for awhile or something. They both look so exhausted and have so for quite some time.

Is nationals going to become some curse for M/G ala Courtney Hicks or something? I hope not

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
My favourites won! :D
I do like B/K and P/K are endearing together, but in terms of synchronicity and unison T/M look more like a pairs team to me. They just have this classical line and power which is so pleasing to watch. It's great to see them being mostly clean after struggling last season.

Sad for M/G though - they've had such a good season. At least they have a chance to redeem themselves at the Russian Cup final.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Galliamov is sick but I am not sure that's the only reason for their problems remembering last two Nationals. They surely would have done better here with a healthy partner but would they have been able to avoid at least one serious mistake?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As a total T/M fan girl I was screaming when their score came in!! 🥰 Like Maxim Trankov I was dying during the wait.

Congratulations to Sasha B and Diva Dima, as well as Daria and Denis!

And Sasha and Dima congratulating Zhenya and Vovan was such good sportsmanship. Wonderful to see!

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
TBH, as the ladies competition was disappointing at Rostelecom and pairs were the highlight, this time the pairs were disappointment for me. The performances were mostly good, but not as perfect as they should be at this level. It's not a critique, just that if the Russians want to challenge Sui/han, they can't offer the mistakes we've seen yesterday.

I'm sad for Mishina/Galliamov, I hope they are not predestined to remain just one step outside of medal position at nationals forever.

Artemisa

Final Flight
First , I think it wasn't who was the best pair but who did the few mistakes
- Tarasova/Morozov --> they seem in the right path finally
- B/K --> She got sick in December, he in November so for me they doing both of the programs were very good ... but they need a little break.. they looked exhausted after the SP
- Pavliuchenko/Khodykin --> I has really happy for them!! .. was time for them to have a break
- Mishina/Galliamov --> well they were on shape, good results pre nationals, they could have medal but again they flop at nationals.. and that is a problem .. because even the other teams will not flop enough for russia loosing there 3 spots for olympics .. so there place in worlds is far from safe
- Panfilova -->good team but there always something missing

hanca

Record Breaker
TBH, as the ladies competition was disappointing at Rostelecom and pairs were the highlight, this time the pairs were disappointment for me. The performances were mostly good, but not as perfect as they should be at this level. It's not a critique, just that if the Russians want to challenge Sui/han, they can't offer the mistakes we've seen yesterday.

I'm sad for Mishina/Galliamov, I hope they are not predestined to remain just one step outside of medal position at nationals forever.
I think you are being unreasonable. Several top pairs, especially T/M, B/K and P/K are recovering from illnesses. They have been ill in November and December. I think it is a miracle that they all managed to get well enough to skate. Even simple cold or flu can leave a person completely drained for a few weeks. Pairs discipline is much demanding on the stamina; it is much harder to get back after illness because the males needs their strength to be lifting and carrying and throwing the females. The females also need their strength to assist with the lifts (push themselves up). I really appreciate the treat of watching them to compete, and I would not expect them to skate in their top competitive shape when some of them had only a week after their illness to prepare! Being unhappy that they can’t measure with Sui/Han after they just stepped on the ice after being ill, seriously?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I think you are being unreasonable. Several top pairs, especially T/M, B/K and P/K are recovering from illnesses. They have been ill in November and December. I think it is a miracle that they all managed to get well enough to skate. Even simple cold or flu can leave a person completely drained for a few weeks. Pairs discipline is much demanding on the stamina; it is much harder to get back after illness because the males needs their strength to be lifting and carrying and throwing the females. The females also need their strength to assist with the lifts (push themselves up). I really appreciate the treat of watching them to compete, and I would not expect them to skate in their top competitive shape when some of them had only a week after their illness to prepare! Being unhappy that they can’t measure with Sui/Han after they just stepped on the ice after being ill, seriously?
I'm not reproaching them for it. If that sounded negatively towards them personally, then that wasn't my intention.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I enjoyed this event. In fact I turned up late for a Boxing day 'party' (only 4 of us and with quite some distance between us too!) just to watch it until the end. I'm glad I did because otherwise I would have missed that wonderful K&C moment with all those emotions pouring out and some great sportsmanship too.

I was really happy for T/M, especially because that fall really made it so nerve racking - despite the programme still being wonderful to watch with a lot of quality elements in it. B/K were good too (aside from the not so good throw and the less then stellar first SBS jump), while B/K had a really good skate. I felt sorry for M/G, and for P/R too - she did try that triple - as I've seen both couples do much better earlier in the season.