Tips for learning to figure skate on my own? | Golden Skate

Tips for learning to figure skate on my own?

Emilymeg

Spectator
Hi everyone. I live on the isle of man in the uk and we are about to get a winter ice rink. Lessons are not offered at this rink and their are no coaches here.

I'm 18, and I've been doing inline figure skating on my snow whites since July and have been loving it. I'm ordering some new edea overtures and a decent blade through a skate shop and im super excited to try the ice properly for the first time! Ive skated on ice before but only ever in the awful plastic rentals.

I do not plan on jumping or anything any time soon. I'm more interested in just skating well and spins ect for fun and for exercise. On my snow whites I can do a basic two foot spin but not well, and I would like to learn to spin decently on the ice.

Does anyone have advice for learning on my own? Best place for tutorials ect?

Thank you!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone. I live on the isle of man in the uk and we are about to get a winter ice rink. Lessons are not offered at this rink and their are no coaches here.

I'm 18, and I've been doing inline figure skating on my snow whites since July and have been loving it. I'm ordering some new edea overtures and a decent blade through a skate shop and im super excited to try the ice properly for the first time! Ive skated on ice before but only ever in the awful plastic rentals.

I do not plan on jumping or anything any time soon. I'm more interested in just skating well and spins ect for fun and for exercise. On my snow whites I can do a basic two foot spin but not well, and I would like to learn to spin decently on the ice.

Does anyone have advice for learning on my own? Best place for tutorials ect?

Thank you!!
You run the risk of learning incorrectly without a coach and getting hurt. I would not try to learn myself. There has got to be someone that could coach you in time, after the rink is open for some time, you may see a coach or two appear at the rink.

Emilymeg

Spectator
You run the risk of learning incorrectly without a coach and getting hurt. I would not try to learn myself. There has got to be someone that could coach you in time, after the rink is open for some time, you may see a coach or two appear at the rink.
Sadly the rink is only a February to late January one. We live on an island with closed borders so no one is comming over and I've asked around on local groups if anyone knows any skating coaches and everyone says theirs no coaches - so it's really not an option for me 😭

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sadly the rink is only a February to late January one. We live on an island with closed borders so no one is comming over and I've asked around on local groups if anyone knows any skating coaches and everyone says theirs no coaches - so it's really not an option for me 😭
Then I'm not sure what to tell you. I stand by what I have said upthread about it not being safe and you risk learning wrong techniques and could get injured. Blades on ice are very, very different than wheels on rollerblades/snow whites/pic.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If you have been successfully skating in Snow Whites for a few months then I think you'll at least be able to step on the ice and be comfortable skating around. And falling on the ice is not as bad as falling on wood or concrete. :) However, you will have the added challenge of breaking in new boots which may be stiffer than your Snow Whites.

I know you want to "get right in there" and start learning spins but I suggest that you go on YouTube and look at some basic instructional videos first. And by that I mean techniques for proper skating stance, starting to stroke, swizzles, backward skating, etc.
The Learn to Skate videos go from Basic 1 to Basic 6 (this is the US Figure Skating track).

Now I know you will also look at videos for starting to spin and since there is no coach to teach you in-person, reviewing a video will have to suffice for now. Perhaps there will be a visiting skater that knows proper techniques that could give you some tips; you never know who will turn up.
Start slow, good luck, and most of all - have fun!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
There are a few reputable skate tutorials on YouTube, although I still find very few people actually teach the right method for forward stroking. Check out Ice Coach Online, iSkateCoach and Oleg Altukhov for some tips. You can always message me here or PM me on Facebook. I believe we've chatted about skating, our respective home islands, boots, blades... I used to teach skating and will be happy to help in any way that I can to help you safely in your skating journey. MPB

Emilymeg

Spectator
If you have been successfully skating in Snow Whites for a few months then I think you'll at least be able to step on the ice and be comfortable skating around. And falling on the ice is not as bad as falling on wood or concrete. :) However, you will have the added challenge of breaking in new boots which may be stiffer than your Snow Whites.

I know you want to "get right in there" and start learning spins but I suggest that you go on YouTube and look at some basic instructional videos first. And by that I mean techniques for proper skating stance, starting to stroke, swizzles, backward skating, etc.
The Learn to Skate videos go from Basic 1 to Basic 6 (this is the US Figure Skating track).

Now I know you will also look at videos for starting to spin and since there is no coach to teach you in-person, reviewing a video will have to suffice for now. Perhaps there will be a visiting skater that knows proper techniques that could give you some tips; you never know who will turn up.
Start slow, good luck, and most of all - have fun!
Thank you! I will definitely be spending some time on just the basics for a few sessions (I'm planning on going 3 times a week in the times I currently spend at the roller rink so will have plenty of time for that! I will check them videos out!

Sadly we have our borders closed and their are no coaches or experienced skaters on island (I've checked around) so as much as I wish I could meet someone more experienced Its extremely unlikely :(

Emilymeg

Spectator
There are a few reputable skate tutorials on YouTube, although I still find very few people actually teach the right method for forward stroking. Check out Ice Coach Online, iSkateCoach and Oleg Altukhov for some tips. You can always message me here or PM me on Facebook. I believe we've chatted about skating, our respective home islands, boots, blades... I used to teach skating and will be happy to help in any way that I can to help you safely in your skating journey. MPB
I love ice coach online, I use them for my snow white skating! I'll check out the others later today

And yep I think it is you I have spoke to haha. About what skate shop I'm going through, how I'm getting my skates and what its like here on the isle of man? :p

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I love ice coach online, I use them for my snow white skating! I'll check out the others later today

And yep I think it is you I have spoke to haha. About what skate shop I'm going through, how I'm getting my skates and what its like here on the isle of man? :p
Yes, guilty as charged. :biggrin: