Too old ?

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Standard. Didn't get the answer they wanted, so flounced off.

. . .which is frustrating and sad when those that reply put so much thought into their responses.

I guess the sticky, "So you want to be a figure skater" has disappeared with this board upgrade?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I agree that it will never happen. I never said that it is likely that it is likely that the above poster would get to the Olympics. But there is (however unlikely) a tiny chance.

If the person spend next ten or fifteen years training, with a good quality coaching, I don’t think it is impossible to get to the level of Tankova/Zilberberg (24th in the last Olympics), or Mansour/Ceska (23rd) or Wang/Liu (22nd).

Also, your experience is from a country where there is a huge competition, so skaters really have to earn their spot because the country can send someone else. What if the poster with his/her partner were representing a country who just doesn’t have any other skaters? Then it is only about qualifying, not about being selected as the best. Among blind even one eyed has the advantage.
What about all the 5-12year olds spending 20+years with a coach. Who have been taught the best from day 1.

I hate to say it but this is actually not possible. No matter which fed to represent, getting the scores needed just isn't feasible.

In terms of pairs (somebody else out this), this is just as unlikely (or more so due to fear barrier). Besides, if op is female then even less chance in either as males are hard to come by and they'll go with the better girls.
In terms of if op is male he will be massively disadvantaged in strength and lifting technique. Even if he trains 3hours per day those who started earlier will still be superior in skill.

Don't start skating just because you want to go the Olympics. We all want to go to the Olympics, but for many it's not feasible.

Ic3Rabbit

Le professionnel d'élite
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What about all the 5-12year olds spending 20+years with a coach. Who have been taught the best from day 1.

I hate to say it but this is actually not possible. No matter which fed to represent, getting the scores needed just isn't feasible.

In terms of pairs (somebody else out this), this is just as unlikely (or more so due to fear barrier). Besides, if op is female then even less chance in either as males are hard to come by and they'll go with the better girls.
In terms of if op is male he will be massively disadvantaged in strength and lifting technique. Even if he trains 3hours per day those who started earlier will still be superior in skill.

Don't start skating just because you want to go the Olympics. We all want to go to the Olympics, but for many it's not feasible.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::points:

MiraiFan

On the Ice
I know how that feels. 😅 but OP if you’re reading this. Don’t give up! Figure skating is not only about medals and competitions. It’s about expression, movement, athleticism, and just pure joy. With or without the competitions, this sport is very rewarding.
Absolutely. I started in my 40s and it's brought me so much joy. I have passed a few tests and am working on various patterns, jumps, and spins... and eventually plan to compete. It's a wonderful sport at any age and you can set and reach goals and achieve them.