Transition to dance boots/blades | Golden Skate

Transition to dance boots/blades

sk8rmamma

Spectator
I’m an adult skater testing bronze dances, partnered. I’m wearing a Reidell Motion in a wide with a Coronation Ace blade. The boots are a year old and very comfortable but breaking down, and the blades are 20 (they took 18 years off). I prefer the low Reidell heel to Jackson’s high heel.

My dance coach let me test drive her Risport Dance with MK blades. (Very, very carefully). Wow. Now that I’ve driven a Ferrari, how do I upgrade my reliable and practical Honda to something more sporty? I’ve wondered if the coronation dance is just the same blade with a shorter tail. I’d like something with more speed and easier edges, but that could be operator error. Anyhow, appreciate any thoughts you might offer.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What shape are your feet? How high is the arch? Are you looking into just dance or something you can use for both dance and freestyle? What's your approximate weight?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Ha ha ha, your description is quite apt! My impression is that MK Dance is by far the most popular dance blade out there. If you are only learning ice dance skills and not also freestyle skills, that's what I would switch to. Coronation Dance is identical to the Ace except for the shorter tail, and of course, thinner blade (as all dance blades are).

sk8rmamma

Spectator
What shape are your feet? How high is the arch? Are you looking into just dance or something you can use for both dance and freestyle? What's your approximate weight?
I have flat to normal feet (a lot of running) with wide-ish toes. I think my freestyle days are over - just MITF and dance at this point .#135

sk8rmamma

Spectator
Ha ha ha, your description is quite apt! My impression is that MK Dance is by far the most popular dance blade out there. If you are only learning ice dance skills and not also freestyle skills, that's what I would switch to. Coronation Dance is identical to the Ace except for the shorter tail, and of course, thinner blade (as all dance blades are).
Are the Coronation Dance thinner than the Ace? They aren’t a slimline like MK or Eclipse, so I wasn’t sure. All of the other specs except the tail seem the same as the Ace.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here is a nice chart that has some width information:

Blade comparison chart

Cheers, M.
The chart does not list any parameter designated "width". Not sure what you mean by that. At any rate, it also does not list "thickness", the parameter of interest to the OP. This is the distance (orthogonal to the longitudinal axis of the blade) measured from inside edge to outside edge.

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
MK Dance are by far the best dance blades on the market. They are slicker and faster than any other blade, too. I think the description of "Ferrari" is pretty apt!

My advice would be to not move to both a dance boot and dance blade at the same time. Maybe consider something like a Risport Royal Pro (which is a bit shorter cut but not as low at the back as a dance boot) plus a Coronation Dance blade to start with. You might find it easier to transition via one of the less slick dance blades as you're moving from Coronation Ace. Don't want to scare yourself witless to start with, especially if you're intending to test MITF, which will have a lot more backward three turns than pattern dances. And those can be pretty hair-raising on a shorter blade and a low cut boot.

marcopolobear

Rinkside
Country
Canada
The chart does not list any parameter designated "width". Not sure what you mean by that. At any rate, it also does not list "thickness", the parameter of interest to the OP. This is the distance (orthogonal to the longitudinal axis of the blade) measured from inside edge to outside edge.

Sorry,

It was not a very technical chart -- I've never seen one that actually listed blade thickness. I think for a precise answer one would need to head to a shop with a caliper or micrometer! I was assuming on the chart, that "parallel" meant the standard figure blade width, and "slimline" meant a thinner than normal blade. But obviously the best bet would be to head to the shop and if one wanted a certain blade width.

sk8rmamma

Spectator
MK Dance are by far the best dance blades on the market. They are slicker and faster than any other blade, too. I think the description of "Ferrari" is pretty apt!

My advice would be to not move to both a dance boot and dance blade at the same time. Maybe consider something like a Risport Royal Pro (which is a bit shorter cut but not as low at the back as a dance boot) plus a Coronation Dance blade to start with. You might find it easier to transition via one of the less slick dance blades as you're moving from Coronation Ace. Don't want to scare yourself witless to start with, especially if you're intending to test MITF, which will have a lot more backward three turns than pattern dances. And those can be pretty hair-raising on a shorter blade and a low cut boot.
Thoughts on Royal Pro vs RF3 for dance? Is it just about which is more comfortable at that point?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I skate in Royal Pro, I know others who dance in RF3s. You can dance in anything. Yes, a lower back stay makes the toe point more effective but it isn't necessary and many people are more comfortable in a higher cut boot.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Risport Royal Pro with JW Coronation Dance blade would work best for your situation at this point.
Have you looked at the Riedell Dance boot? That might work for you since you seem to skate well with Riedell in the past, another blade choice you could look at for dance is the Eclipse Dance blade.

I wish you luck, if you need anything ask. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I also wanted to add @sk8rmamma that you might also want to look into the newer beginner dance boot from Risport the Turchese.

sk8rmamma

Spectator
I also wanted to add @sk8rmamma that you might also want to look into the newer beginner dance boot from Risport the Turchese.
Thanks. I had not focused on those. Do you think the support rating (35) is ok for an adult? The description made it sound like they were for kids - also they are very shiny. My current boot is a 65 albeit a Reidell.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks. I had not focused on those. Do you think the support rating (35) is ok for an adult? The description made it sound like they were for kids - also they are very shiny. My current boot is a 65 albeit a Reidell.
As I said prior, look into the Riedell Dance boot as you prefer that brand, the other was just an "it exists" kind of thing since there aren't many stand alone dance boots out there. And also mentioned the Turchese because the Dance Prime will be too advance and much for your level at this time and that you hadn't previously in this thread mentioned your previous boot stiffness rating (that IIRC). :)

I really, really think Riedell Dance boot is the best bet for you. Good luck and if you need anything else, just ask. Happy dancing! :)

julesthesk8tr

Spectator
As I said prior, look into the Riedell Dance boot as you prefer that brand, the other was just an "it exists" kind of thing since there aren't many stand alone dance boots out there. And also mentioned the Turchese because the Dance Prime will be too advance and much for your level at this time and that you hadn't previously in this thread mentioned your previous boot stiffness rating (that IIRC). :)

I really, really think Riedell Dance boot is the best bet for you. Good luck and if you need anything else, just ask. Happy dancing! :)
Ic3rabbit - how long have you had your Risport Dance Prime boots? Do you know when these became available? Getting some conflicting information. Thanks 😊

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ic3rabbit - how long have you had your Risport Dance Prime boots? Do you know when these became available? Getting some conflicting information. Thanks 😊
I've been wearing top level dance boots for many years, and Risport at that, not the same pair because I go through a pair yearly to most recently every 16-18 mos. The elite level Risport dance boot was not always named Prime.

May I inquire why you ask?
Also, what level are you?

Welcome to the forum btw! :)

julesthesk8tr

Spectator
Thanks for the welcome 🤗
I was seeing three references to Risport dance boots: Turchese, Prime, and Elite and only saw Prime and Turchese on the Risport site. When I inquired at a skate shop, I was told the Prime is not yet available. Thanks for the info about the name differences - that makes a lot of sense.
As for my level, I am working on preliminary dance - was a freestyle skater years ago. From what I have read, it sounds like the Turchese is the way to go at this point.