Trying to find new skates - need help! | Golden Skate

Trying to find new skates - need help!

El!! On Ice

Spectator
Hello! My current skates are Jackson Freestyle Fusions (size 6.5 w/ Aspire XP blade) and I've had them for about a year now and I think it's time for me to get a new pair. I'm usually at the rink for 7-10 hours a week, and I'm a Solo Ice Dancer (I'm currently at Novice solo dance free skate and Pre-Gold Pattern Dance). Due to the fact that Jacksons hurt the crap out of my feet, I was thinking of switching company's, possible to Edea. I have Jackson C/D (Wide) skates and I don't really know if the Edea widths would work for me (I was thinking either the D or possibly the E width) as I have the typical "Jackson foot" (wide toes, super high arches, wide heel, and wide foot overall). The fit of Jacksons is basically perfect, they just hurt my feet so much at this point (not the insoles fault, just the way they are made I suppose). If I were to get Edea, would Ice Fly's or Piano's be too much for ice dance? (I'm a late teen skater). Once I pass my Senior/Gold Ice Dance tests, I plan to start on MITF again (currently at Juvenile), so would Ice Fly/Piano's be more than what I need?

*** I also have probably one of the worst cases of terrible, busted ankles in my whole state :LOL:, and my pro shop doesn't know what to put me in either since I live in a small town, and I'm one of the only Solo ice dancers here (one of the highest rank too, so that doesn't help me, and the next nearest fitter is 6+ hours away).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! My current skates are Jackson Freestyle Fusions (size 6.5 w/ Aspire XP blade) and I've had them for about a year now and I think it's time for me to get a new pair. I'm usually at the rink for 7-10 hours a week, and I'm a Solo Ice Dancer (I'm currently at Novice solo dance free skate and Pre-Gold Pattern Dance). Due to the fact that Jacksons hurt the crap out of my feet, I was thinking of switching company's, possible to Edea. I have Jackson C/D (Wide) skates and I don't really know if the Edea widths would work for me (I was thinking either the D or possibly the E width) as I have the typical "Jackson foot" (wide toes, super high arches, wide heel, and wide foot overall). The fit of Jacksons is basically perfect, they just hurt my feet so much at this point (not the insoles fault, just the way they are made I suppose). If I were to get Edea, would Ice Fly's or Piano's be too much for ice dance? (I'm a late teen skater). Once I pass my Senior/Gold Ice Dance tests, I plan to start on MITF again (currently at Juvenile), so would Ice Fly/Piano's be more than what I need?

*** I also have probably one of the worst cases of terrible, busted ankles in my whole state :LOL:, and my pro shop doesn't know what to put me in either since I live in a small town, and I'm one of the only Solo ice dancers here (one of the highest rank too, so that doesn't help me, and the next nearest fitter is 6+ hours away).

If you have a foot shaped well for a Jackson, then Edea is not going to be the brand for you, and even if they had been: Ice Fly and Piano are way too advance and stiff for you.

Why not try Riedell or Risport? Graf might work as well for you. If you are skating Solo Dance only, then perhaps look into a lower cut freestyle boot or a dance boot, the latter will give you more movement and flex you need for dance.

You definitely need to make the sacrifice and get to a fitter.

If you need any specifics or whatnot, feel free to inbox me.

Good luck!

MiraiFan

Final Flight
If you have high arches, you may need insoles in any skates you get... but see a competent fitter before switching brands.

El!! On Ice

Spectator
If you have a foot shaped well for a Jackson, then Edea is not going to be the brand for you, and even if they had been: Ice Fly and Piano are way too advance and stiff for you.

Why not try Riedell or Risport? Graf might work as well for you. If you are skating Solo Dance only, then perhaps look into a lower cut freestyle boot or a dance boot, the latter will give you more movement and flex you need for dance.

You definitely need to make the sacrifice and get to a fitter.

If you need any specifics or whatnot, feel free to inbox me.

Good luck!
Thank you for your help! Unfortunately, no fitter near me (my fitter or the one 6.5 hours away) stocks or will order Graf skates due to import costs. As for Riedell, I've been told that they won't work for my wide feet since they are so narrow (My fitter said the only one that would work are the EvoD width ones, but those boots are at least $500, and no one stocks the wide in that boot around me. My fitter would order them for me though, but I would have to pay full price first plus shipping, and I feel like its not worth the risk.) Well, I haven't tried Risport yet, so I'll definitely drive the 6.5 hours to the fitter since he stocks them. Thank you for your help! :)

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you for your help! Unfortunately, no fitter near me (my fitter or the one 6.5 hours away) stocks or will order Graf skates due to import costs. As for Riedell, I've been told that they won't work for my wide feet since they are so narrow (My fitter said the only one that would work are the EvoD width ones, but those boots are at least $500, and no one stocks the wide in that boot around me. My fitter would order them for me though, but I would have to pay full price first plus shipping, and I feel like its not worth the risk.) Well, I haven't tried Risport yet, so I'll definitely drive the 6.5 hours to the fitter since he stocks them. Thank you for your help! :)
Agree with what Ic3Rabbit said about Edeas and your feet shape not agreeing. If you're taking the time to go to a fitter and they deal in Harlick or SP-Teri, you should also check into those. However, Harlicks are custom and therefore more $$. But at the level you're at, they would be a good investment.

El!! On Ice

Spectator
@sandraskates Thank you for the advice! I was thinking about venturing into customs since I also have some other weird foot problems, along with another custom insole (due to my high arches, the ones in my current skates are fantastic). In your opinion, what would you say is the better company(s) to get customs for? I've seen that Jackson, Riedell, Sp-Teri, Harlick, and Aura all do custom skates, but I really don't know what do go with.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
@sandraskates Thank you for the advice! I was thinking about venturing into customs since I also have some other weird foot problems, along with another custom insole (due to my high arches, the ones in my current skates are fantastic). In your opinion, what would you say is the better company(s) to get customs for? I've seen that Jackson, Riedell, Sp-Teri, Harlick, and Aura all do custom skates, but I really don't know what do go with.

Oh my @El!! On Ice - that's quite a question!
I've been a custom Harlick girl for umpteen years. They make a beautiful boot with many options for customization. I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel, high arches. I really like the Powerstep insole that they can add in.
But one of the factors you're going to run into is what your fitter deals in. Before you make that trip to the fitter, make an appointment and also ask what companies they represent.
Aura is interesting; they are so new. I don't know anyone that has them but I've read good reviews.

I also suggest asking the other skaters at your rink what boots they have (besides Edea). Maybe someone has foot similar to yours that could also give you some valuable input. Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have very high arches and that's never been the case for me in any brand.
If you have high arches, you may need insoles in any skates you get... but see a competent fitter before switching brands.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It depends on the Riedell boot. They do make them wider and I have experience with skaters and that, so whatever you were told was incorrect. And in seeing your convo with sandraskates, if you are going for custom or semi-custom you can do Riedell, Risport, Jackson, Harlick, SPTeri because they are just that..custom. I'm just warning you though that If you don't like Jackson, then you aren't going to like Harlick.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm an (old) ice dancer, with super high arches, wide, arthritic feet and narrow heel. After finding my old favourite Grafs just uncomfortable, I asked Ic3Rabbit's advice and she recommended Jackson or Risport. And Risport Royal Pro in particular. They are wonderful. Light, incredibly comfortable and slightly lower in cut, so I can still get the lines and great toe point I'm known for, but not so low at the backstay that I'm terrified by back threes. I love these boots. So much so that I bought two pairs, so I have one pair for ice and another the same for off-ice frames.

El!! On Ice

Spectator
Thank you for telling me about your experience! Luckly, the dealer I traveled to carried Risport, and I ended up loving them (I got the Risport Dance Elite) and they are so comfy. Now I just need to figure out what blade I'm gonna get (We had to order my correct size, so in the meantime he said I should research what blade I wanna get, and then he will give me his recommendations afterwards.) If you/anyone has any ideas on what blade I should get, please let me know! I was thinking the MK Gold Star since a lot of my programs have spins in them, and they are known to have an amazing spin rocker.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for telling me about your experience! Luckly, the dealer I traveled to carried Risport, and I ended up loving them (I got the Risport Dance Elite) and they are so comfy. Now I just need to figure out what blade I'm gonna get (We had to order my correct size, so in the meantime he said I should research what blade I wanna get, and then he will give me his recommendations afterwards.) If you/anyone has any ideas on what blade I should get, please let me know! I was thinking the MK Gold Star since a lot of my programs have spins in them, and they are known to have an amazing spin rocker.
Why not a dance blade?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
My favourite blades for dancing are definitely MK Dance. I don't think any other dance blade betters them. So smooth, slick and fast. I really miss that. HOWEVER, I don't like them with dance boots. I tried very, very hard but never adjusted to the shortness of the heel with the lower backstay of the dance boots so swapped back to my beloved MK Phantoms. Soon discovered that the massive top toe pick on the Phantom is A Very Bad Idea with dance boots, as I would catch it as I swung my free leg through and go flying. (Damn you, beautiful toe point!) So once I settled on Risport Royal Pro (which are lower than most boots but not as low as the Dance Elite, and therefore the perfect boot for me) I decided to try MK Gold Star because they don't have such an extreme top pick and are alleged to be excellent blades for spinning. Oh boy, the spinning. I've always liked spinning but now I absolutely love it. I think I'm going to love them for everything, dance, MITF and spinning. Did I mention the spinning? Oh, the spinning is gooooooood...

If I was happy with the short heel and backstay and was mostly doing dance, then I'd pick MK Dance, no question. But it terrifies me, especially on back three turns, and I don't particularly like spinning on them, so I've found the best solution for me. YMMV.

El!! On Ice

Spectator
Why not a dance blade?
I'm not against a dance blade, I honestly just don't think I need it. I've never skated in a dance blade, and with the shorter heel, I feel like I would not do good in them. I was thinking about getting a synchro blade since its right in the middle of a dance heel and a freestyle heel, but since I'm progressing fast, I feel like getting a dance blade would be a good investment (I've only been skating about 1.5 years now) and I'm still pretty new to all of this :giggle:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you're only doing solo ice dance, then a dance blade would be your best investment.
I'm not against a dance blade, I honestly just don't think I need it. I've never skated in a dance blade, and with the shorter heel, I feel like I would not do good in them. I was thinking about getting a synchro blade since its right in the middle of a dance heel and a freestyle heel, but since I'm progressing fast, I feel like getting a dance blade would be a good investment (I've only been skating about 1.5 years now) and I'm still pretty new to all of this :giggle: