Upset Choices for US/Canadian Nationals | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Upset Choices for US/Canadian Nationals

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also to @Roo87

I thought Keegan was out of Canadian Nats? Or whatever they're calling it this year...

On the Canadian skaters thread, it's been established that both he and Gogolev are out because of quarantine issues.

Or maybe I'm behind the news cycle. That's happened before...
They’re not out of it. They just didn’t do Challenge.

Attending nationals would pose some logistical hurdles since he’d have to quarantine on entry, though.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They’re not out of it. They just didn’t do Challenge.

Attending nationals would pose some logistical hurdles since he’d have to quarantine on entry, though.
Thank you for the correction.

I'm confusing the Challenge with Nationals.

It's been a difficult season, taking into account there really hasn't been much good skating to keep up with.

I have no idea why I'm faltering.

Roo87

Medalist
Also to @Roo87

I thought Keegan was out of Canadian Nats? Or whatever they're calling it this year...

On the Canadian skaters thread, it's been established that both he and Gogolev are out because of quarantine issues.

Or maybe I'm behind the news cycle. That's happened before...
Keegan is our for the Skate Canada Challenge (airing this weekend and next), but he would have a bye to Nationals.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anyone know why Keegan isn't competing at the Skate Canada Challenge?
Possibly just since he’s not in Canada.

But also, unlike everybody else who is going he has already participated in a high-level competition this season, so he may feel less need to participate in an event that top skaters typically skip in a regular season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think that something that is confusing a lot of people here is simply that usually American and Canadian Nationals are one after the other, in January... However, the season in Canada is so behind that Challenge did not happen in the fall like usually and Nationals are postponed to February... so... we are a bit off-schedule.... Challenge like many said is often skipped by athletes who have byes (and usually one needs to have been a Grand prix event or be a medalist from the previous year... Keegan is in both cases for sure eligible to compete at Nationals... others may have applied to Skate Canada... we will see with the entries for Nationals, when they come in, after Challenge).

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Possibly just since he’s not in Canada.

But also, unlike everybody else who is going he has already participated in a high-level competition this season, so he may feel less need to participate in an event that top skaters typically skip in a regular season.
Aha - yes of course! I forgot he was based in Alaska. Thanks for replying!

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
I wonder if Stephen or Keegan will even go to nationals due to the quarantine. And they'd likely have to quarantine going back, too

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wonder if Stephen or Keegan will even go to nationals due to the quarantine. And they'd likely have to quarantine going back, too
if they consider Nationals as the only and last competition of the winter, then quarantine going back is no big deal... but quarantine in Canada for a couple weeks right before a big event, unless they have a sick set up with personal gym etc, it would be hard to keep fit right before a big event...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
We have a winner, folks! i present to you the come-out-of-nowhere king of US Nationals, Mr. Yaroslav Paniot!
Paniot shimmied his way to a pewter medal in Las Vegas dressed as an Elvis impersonator, which seems entirely appropriate.
That’s a very cool observation on so many levels.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
of course, we didn't have Nationals... just Challenge :) but Canada also has an upset winner... Corey Circelli.. very elegant, balletic type of skater won bronze with two clean programs... no quads... only one 3a per program... but he managed to outscore many seasoned skaters who had some issues landing some quads... it was his first Nationals in senior... he had won juniors last year.... he used to do ice dance as well, but he seems to have stop that to focus on singles, which gave him a new toy, the 3a..... so yeah... i don't think anyone had him in the top 6 prior to challenge... let alone the podium

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
of course, we didn't have Nationals... just Challenge :) but Canada also has an upset winner... Corey Circelli.. very elegant, balletic type of skater won bronze with two clean programs... no quads... only one 3a per program... but he managed to outscore many seasoned skaters who had some issues landing some quads... it was his first Nationals in senior... he had won juniors last year.... he used to do ice dance as well, but he seems to have stop that to focus on singles, which gave him a new toy, the 3a..... so yeah... i don't think anyone had him in the top 6 prior to challenge... let alone the podium
And he was such a joy to watch. It was wondrous, both his SP and his FS.