USA’s Taira Shinohara: From soccer to skating | Golden Skate

News USA’s Taira Shinohara: From soccer to skating

News

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Shinohara has two new programs for next season and is excited to perform them. He worked with Jason Brown for the short program and Scott Brown for the free skate.

“I had a great time with both choreographers!” he said. “It’s my second year working with Scott, so we knew each other pretty well and he brought new ideas to try. On the other hand, it was my first time working with Jason, but his preparation and character made the process very seamless. We even saw the solar eclipse together, which was a great addition to the week!”

Can't wait to see Jason Brown's work!! :yahoo:

He sounds like a person who knows where he is going, especially with how he incorporated the triple Axel this season.

"After the 2023 Nationals didn’t go so well the goal for 2023-24 was to skate for myself. This is why I chose the program music myself and decided which elements to include in the program."

What an entertaining and informative series of inyterviews this is!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is it with Chicagoland skaters who play soccer? (Jason also played competitive "travel team" soccer when he was young, and at one point realized skating was his calling).

I have always enjoyed Taira's lyrical style and performance chops and I think a Jason choreo SP will fit him perfectly. I am very impressed by his balanced approach to skating: (from the article in italics, my summary otherwise)

One of his main goals is to be confident in his competitions. This is more important than getting the highest technical score that he's capable of. He wants to "increase the difficulty little by little over the year."

He also wants to develop his artistic side

"I think what separates the seniors from juniors is the expression and projection they bring to a program."

I look forward to his development!