USFS has broken my heart | Page 3 | Golden Skate

USFS has broken my heart

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well.. i never liked the 6.0 system.. I guess it makes me a math person. Ranking very good people one after another is like choosing which one of your 7 children you like best. Of course, ranking lower, those who faltered, easy... but the code of points, though it's far from perfect, really helped me accept results and make sense of them.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brent was lovely, but he is gone. Last year they had a breakfast with a panel of former skaters discussing why we should not crowd them or touch them inappropriately. Rachel Flatt told a story about how she was at an event and got surrounded by people crowding her and someone - her choreographer? Coach? had to physically clear the way for her to get away. We were all horrified. I mean I think these are good things for people to be aware of.
Be aware of yes, but I'm not sure that was quite the entertainment what the attendees were hoping over with their cornflakes?:scratch2: I've been to one or two similar things for writers and would be more hoping for fun and harmless, happy gossip at that hour.

The only reason I could possibly think to do it would be if there were more people than the space would allow for.

Last year in the Boitano Lounge it was MAYBE 1/4 full. This event is on Sunday morning. It is not like large groups of non skating people are clamoring to use meeting spaces during this time.
Which indicates (at least to me) that it's economics, maybe taking into account the fees charged by the stars they needed to up the prices to try and cover costs.

moonvine said:
OMG People put peas in spaghetti?

cheerknithansen said:
A way my nanny I had growing up tried to have me eat veggies.

I eat my peas with honey. Done it all my life.
It makes 'em teaste quite funny, but it sticks them on my knife.

4everchan said:
well.. i never liked the 6.0 system.. I guess it makes me a math person. Ranking very good people one after another is like choosing which one of your 7 children you like best.

Or is it like ranking which of 7 aspiring pianists played the best and deserves first prize?

But yes, either way, you are a math person. Math people like ordinal numbers (1st, 2nd, 3rd) as well as cardinal numbers (1,2,3) and numbers on the number line (5.624, square root of 2, pi). ;)

Last edited:

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I eat my peas with honey. Done it all my life.
It makes 'em teaste quite funny, but it sticks them on my knife.
If you are English (as my late wife was) you need to learn to eat peas on the back of your fork:rolleyes:. It apparently helps if they are mushy peas or if you can mix them in with mashed potatoes.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We are very off
If you are English (as my late wife was) you need to learn to eat peas on the back of your fork:rolleyes:. It apparently helps if they are mushy peas or if you can mix them in with mashed potatoes.
We are very off-topic I know, but I wonder how many people here have tried or heard of the classic pie floater from South Australia... a pie 'floating' on pea soup.

Getting back to the Friends of Figure Skating, I have the impression that these things are essemtially fund-raisring efforts to attract rich donors. Frends of Public Radio. Friends of Mayor Plumpfront's re-election campaign, Friends of the Cancer Research Fund.

What can the donor expect in return? Besides the glow of having contributed to a wothy cause, you get to sit next to Mayor Plumpfront's third cousin at the thousand-dollar-a-plate chicken dinner.

I once paid $500, in the form of a donation to the Detroit Institute of the Arts, for a meet-and-greet with "skaters like Michelle Kwan." It turned out that the skaters "like" Michelle Kwan were Belbin and Agosto. :rock: :love: Money well spent, and I supported the art museum, too!

And if you know who Mayor Plumpfront was, congratulations at having lived so long! ;)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think trying to blame too much on the IJS vs 6.0 system is counterproductive. Remember, some of the biggest stars of all time - and biggest audiences, not even counting online - have been since IJS came in, even if the last few years it's fractured for one reason or another. I know this is all easy to discount when said stars and audiences are not from the country in question (aka the USFS's country) but still...

I am really sorry for people like @moonvine who really want to support their skaters but are being priced out due to corporate greed/ineptitude.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^Perhaps in Russia, Japan, etc has it been more popular since IJS, but certainly not in the US which is what we are predominately discussing in this thread.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Exactly! If it was a simple matter of IJS bad for fans, it wouldn't only be specific-countries-bad.
:cautious: And that would be great and all if all events were in those countries but it's not. So the sport needs more than certain countries fans that like IJS.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:cautious: And that would be great and all if all events were in those countries but it's not. So the sport needs more than certain countries fans that like IJS.
The point is that it isn't the system putting people off or it would be putting them off in other countries as well. I really can't be doing with the idea that Americans are more confused or offended by the sight of complex mathematics than other folk, and it can't be only that Japan and Russia had winning stars and therefore ignored the confusion (or the dodginess) because, well... Chen?

I keep reading these "all these rules make it too hard" arguments. I just don't buy them.

gkelly

Record Breaker
In general, I think people tend to prefer the scoring system that was in place when they first became fans.

There were probably more American fans during the 6.0 era when American women were consistently in the running for world/Olympic medals, and some men as well. Fans of those skaters got comfortable with the scoring system then in place (some in general terms, others in nerdy detail).

American media has really not encouraged fans to prioritize pairs or especially ice dance, and it was rarer for American teams to be vying for medals.

At the time judging system was changing, the media was initially opposed to the change and didn't make it easy for fans to catch on quickly.

At the same time, American women were becoming less competitive with the rest of the world as Japan and Russia became more dominant.

So fans were lost who no longer had stars to be fans of and who no longer approved of or understood the new scoring system.

And there weren't enough new American stars, especially in the discipline that the media had always promoted and the casual fans tended to prefer, to attract newer and younger fans.

(Of course, the media landscape changing was also a factor.)

If there should suddenly be an American woman or several consistently winning world/Olympic medals, especially charismatic ones, new fans will come and will learn the current scoring system.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Getting back to the Friends of Figure Skating, I have the impression that these things are essemtially fund-raisring efforts to attract rich donors. Frends of Public Radio. Friends of Mayor Plumpfront's re-election campaign, Friends of the Cancer Research Fund.

What can the donor expect in return? Besides the glow of having contributed to a wothy cause, you get to sit next to Mayor Plumpfront's third cousin at the thousand-dollar-a-plate chicken dinner.

I once paid $500, in the form of a donation to the Detroit Institute of the Arts, for a meet-and-greet with "skaters like Michelle Kwan." It turned out that the skaters "like" Michelle Kwan were Belbin and Agosto. :rock: :love: Money well spent, and I supported the art museum, too!

And if you know who Mayor Plumpfront was, congratulations at having lived so long! ;)
Friends of Figure Skating used to have multiple tiers, starting at $65, which I can afford, and even a few more up to $500.

I found and downloaded a copy of the old brochure.

This is even crazier than I thought.

They've gotten rid of things that cost them little to nothing. Behind the scenes tour, chalk talk, autographed program, call from team USA member...have they lost their minds?

I feel like emailing them with both programs side by side and ask them how getting rid of half the stuff is supposed to be better.

Then again I guess I can email them what I want, they won't answer. Lots of people on another board have emailed, no answers.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We are very off

We are very off-topic I know, but I wonder how many people here have tried or heard of the classic pie floater from South Australia... a pie 'floating' on pea soup.
I bet @anonymoose_au has heard of it if not tried it!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Friends of Figure Skating used to have multiple tiers, starting at $65, which I can afford, and even a few more up to $500.

I found and downloaded a copy of the old brochure.

This is even crazier than I thought.

They've gotten rid of things that cost them little to nothing. Behind the scenes tour, chalk talk, autographed program, call from team USA member...have they lost their minds?

I feel like emailing them with both programs side by side and ask them how getting rid of half the stuff is supposed to be better.

Then again I guess I can email them what I want, they won't answer. Lots of people on another board have emailed, no answers.
I think this is the worst bit. I mean, we all know about prices going up because of this, that and cost of living: we probably all also know about shrinkflation (one's favourite choccie block staying the same price but shrinking in quantity and yes mine did and no I wasn't happy). But to do both at once and so sweepingly - double prices for a blatant fraction of the benefits - is just stupid. If they had to bump up the prices that much, they should have found a way to offer extra perks... or at least try to be seen to.

Last edited:

midori green

On the Ice
I think trying to blame too much on the IJS vs 6.0 system is counterproductive. Remember, some of the biggest stars of all time - and biggest audiences, not even counting online - have been since IJS came in, even if the last few years it's fractured for one reason or another. I know this is all easy to discount when said stars and audiences are not from the country in question (aka the USFS's country) but still...

I am really sorry for people like @moonvine who really want to support their skaters but are being priced out due to corporate greed/ineptitude.
I also know many casual fans who referred to a perfect score as a 10.0 during the 6.0 era, so I don't think they really understood that system, either. :shrug:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this is the worst bit. I mean, we all know about prices going up because of this, that and cost of living: we probably all also know about shrinkflation (one's favourite choccie block staying the same price but shrinking in quantity and yes mine did and no I wasn't happy). But to do both at once and so sweepingly - double prices for a blatant fraction of the benefits - is just stupid. If they had to bump up the prices that much, they should have found a way to offer extra perks... or at least try to be seen to.
There is a FAQ that was found by someone on another board.

I could see it even doubling ($65 to $130) AND the price of the breakfast doubling (from $25 to $50) I would have had to budget for that but this is just outrageous.

$1000 is my mortgage AND what my car payment used to be to combined.

Is watching skating not for those of little means? I guess not.