USFS International Selection Pool (ISP) Points Challenge | Page 3 | Golden Skate

USFS International Selection Pool (ISP) Points Challenge

katymay

Medalist
Start order- Audrey Shin, Julia Biechler, Paige Rydberg, Gracie Gold, Rena Ikenishi, Pooja Kalyan, Lindsay Thorngren, Maxine Bautista, Sierra Venetta, Courtney Hicks, Starr Andrews, Mariah Bell, Bradie Tennell
Thank you! I knew Audrey, Rena Pooja and of course the last four, but couldn't figure out Julia, Paige, Gracie, Lindsay, Maxine or Sierra.

readernick

Medalist
I thought Mariah looked a lot better than Bradie. I never noticed Bradies posture this much before but she looked much less secure than Mariah.
Yes, I really like Bradie. However, she is obviously experiencing growing pains from her coaching change (which is normal). Nothing looked quite ready. (which doesn't mean she won't be ready soon, she just isn't there yet). Mariah looks ready for competition. Her jump landings are generally so much smoother. Hence better GOE. There was definitely some reputation inflation scoring in the men's and ice dance, but ladies scoring and pairs scoring looked fair.

Speaking of pairs Callang/Johnson looked so good. I really enjoyed the minimalistic music in the SP, and their basic skating is really world class. They are a definite threat for the Olympic team.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States

katymay

Medalist
What did Gracie Gold score?
Turns out she was never really there. It was all an illusion, a hallucination. Ghost Gracie scored 51 I think, (there was an out of focus video of someone who I think landed a 3Lutz3toe) I can't remember the long score, again though, none of it really ever happened. LOL (Her score, name, and video has disappeared, and on the Fan site, The women are now not accessible. Glad I saw most of of when I did, even if I had no clue who some of them were)

katymay

Medalist
FYI for anyone curious about the Ladies results, the official page says that due to a "post-production error" the videos are in the process of being re-uploaded.
I found a good link on Reddit. I hope we get three slots back for the women-that way Bradie and Mariah will both be on the team. If we only have two slots....one will be cut and that will be sad. Mariah looks strong and in great condition. I don't like the Abba, just too lightweight or something, and it seems like she is doing last years program to Abba. I think though, that Mariah Bell is finally going to be going to the Olympics, and a long time coming this is. I love Bradies music, she isn't as strong as Mariah right now, but it is only the beginning of the season. Paige is on the cusp of being great-the first jumps in her program are always spectacular, and then it all falls apart. Someone who skated in a maroon dress hit every jump in the FS-no clue who this might be. (would it really be that difficult to put a name on the bottom before they skate?)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@frida80, what did you mean by 'wanting this for years'? Wanting what for years? I just wonder what you are specifically referencing.

I'm glad to finally see some new season competitive programs in competition mode. They have to make do with the situation that exists. I hope that more competitions, even if locally and regionally will be developed. Skaters need to compete in order to improve, gain experience, grow and prosper. Plus, they need viable motivation and incentive with realizable goals to reach for.

I'm going to discuss the scoring outcomes in the various discipline threads.

Apple1078

Final Flight
I really loved Mariah Bell's FS the last two seasons and the moment she created at US Nats back in January was so special but I'm kind of underwhelmed with the ABBA medley. Not sure about the SP either to be honest. So I'm bit disappointed.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This seems like it should have been the easiest competition stream possible. Pre-recorded programs, pre-judged scores, assemble them together, hype it up on social media and hit the go button! Specify a time and date and have a huge watch party, and upload the videos for re-watching later! Instead it turned into an absolute cluster-flip. Videos going up and down, nobody quite sure when the videos were going up or who was competing, no names attached to the videos so that unless you were a die-hard you didn't know who you were watching except the big names, choppy presentation...

Of course, trust USFS to make a meal of it. They had a captive audience of starving skating fans, knew that two of the biggest names in world skating in Nathan and Jason were debuting brand new programs, and they blew it. How on earth did they blow it?

Jason was wonderful, as expected. Superb new programs for him and he gets better every year. Selfishly I want to see him continue beyond the next Olympics just to see more delights from him!

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Jason was wonderful, as expected. Superb new programs for him and he gets better every year. Selfishly I want to see him continue beyond the next Olympics just to see more delights from him!
He'll be 31 in 2026, an age some still compete at. I just hope he'll go AT LEAST two more seasons after 21-22. He has great potential being kind of a late bloomer by a fortunate changing of coach late-ish in his career.

Apple1078

Final Flight
He'll be 31 in 2026, an age some still compete at. I just hope he'll go AT LEAST two more seasons after 21-22. He has great potential being kind of a late bloomer by a fortunate changing of coach late-ish in his career.
I can't find any info about it so my memory might totally deceive me here (or I dreamt it). :) But isn't worlds supposed to be in Boston or somewhere in the U.S. in 2024? If that's the case, maybe he'll continue for two seasons. Who knows? :)

katymay

Medalist
I really loved Mariah Bell's FS the last two seasons and the moment she created at US Nats back in January was so special but I'm kind of underwhelmed with the ABBA medley. Not sure about the SP either to be honest. So I'm bit disappointed.
Agree. ABBA doesn't work for me, but is more about ABBA-it's not 'skateable' or something. I'm not sure anyone could skate to ABBA, except maybe a little kid. But this is not the Olympic year, and I was glad to see that she looks fit, strong and ready for the season.

katymay

Medalist
This seems like it should have been the easiest competition stream possible. Pre-recorded programs, pre-judged scores, assemble them together, hype it up on social media and hit the go button! Specify a time and date and have a huge watch party, and upload the videos for re-watching later! Instead it turned into an absolute cluster-flip. Videos going up and down, nobody quite sure when the videos were going up or who was competing, no names attached to the videos so that unless you were a die-hard you didn't know who you were watching except the big names, choppy presentation...

Of course, trust USFS to make a meal of it. They had a captive audience of starving skating fans, knew that two of the biggest names in world skating in Nathan and Jason were debuting brand new programs, and they blew it. How on earth did they blow it?

You would think, huh? And while I was waiting for Russian Cup on You Tube I was watching a Russian competition with tiny tots, doing 1 minute programs, and some how the stream managed their names, their scores, and everything kept rolling along smoothly. I almost can't believe how poorly the USFSA executed this idea.

readernick

Medalist
You would think, huh? And while I was waiting for Russian Cup on You Tube I was watching a Russian competition with tiny tots, doing 1 minute programs, and some how the stream managed their names, their scores, and everything kept rolling along smoothly. I almost can't believe how poorly the USFSA executed this idea.
The Russian Cup was an in- person (possibly COVID spreading) , live broadcast on Russian TV ( Channel 1 which I believe is #1 channel in Russia 😉) with professional video crews. It can't be compared to an event where the kids coaches or parents are filming them, with. an online audience of perhaps a few thousand. That isn't realistic. Given the circumstances and constraints it is fine.

trkvy

Match Penalty
The Russian Cup was an in- person (possibly COVID spreading) , live broadcast on Russian TV ( Channel 1 which I believe is #1 channel in Russia 😉) with professional video crews. It can't be compared to an event where the kids coaches or parents are filming them, with. an online audience of perhaps a few thousand. That isn't realistic. Given the circumstances and constraints it is fine.
There were no 'tiny tots' with 1 minute programs at the Cup of Russia. I think katymay means 'New day' competition which has nothing to with TV and Channel 1.
Still it is much better broadcasted than ISP.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think katymay means 'New day' competition which has nothing to with TV and Channel 1.
Still it is much better broadcasted than ISP.
Still, that seems to be an actual in-person filmed in one location with one camera, skaters taking the ice one after the other, announced by an on-site announcer, and presumably scored by on-site officials.

Totally different from skaters at their home rinks each getting a coach or family member to video a performance and then sending it digitally to be edited into a compilation. And scored by officials watching the video from their own homes. Probably waiting until all the videos had been received and scored before doing the editing.

Yes, the editing could have included graphics to let you know who was skating when. But the organizers at headquarters had no control over the quality of the individual videos.

readernick

Medalist
Still, that seems to be an actual in-person filmed in one location with one camera, skaters taking the ice one after the other, announced by an on-site announcer, and presumably scored by on-site officials.

Totally different from skaters at their home rinks each getting a coach or family member to video a performance and then sending it digitally to be edited into a compilation. And scored by officials watching the video from their own homes. Probably waiting until all the videos had been received and scored before doing the editing.

Yes, the editing could have included graphics to let you know who was skating when. But the organizers at headquarters had no control over the quality of the individual videos.
This. Of course, the video isn't good it was filmed by mom, dad, grandpa, or coach on a simple recording device (possibly a cellphone). How good do people expect the video to be? I do agree that it would have been helpful if they had included a simple graphic with the skaters' name at the bottom of the screen. But, other than that.. lets have reasonable expectations people... especially given what we are living through right now..