USFS International Selection Pool (ISP) Points Challenge | Page 5 | Golden Skate

USFS International Selection Pool (ISP) Points Challenge

readernick

Medalist
I don't think it's a conspiracy or grand. It's just a strategy. ;) Also I think Thorngren may have been the best technically.
Thorngen did look solid but there were definitely some URs on her combos. For some reason, she always gets lower scores than I would expect. The junior international judges really did not enjoy her skating. Working on her basic skating skills is probably a good idea. She has potential.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
These are all very reasonable requests and hopefully USFS will make these changes if they receive feedback. Perhaps some members can message then on social media with these suggestions. The other posters hoping for TV broadcastlike quality (Yes, even the tiny tots skating in Russia had a video crew) are being unreasonable.

I think this is an unfair summary of what complaints have been. Most fans understand that these videos were never going to be broadcast quality. It's the way the whole thing was handled, the unprofessional and frankly. looking like they didn't even try way the videos were packaged for release (NOT THE QUALITY, the lack of straps with names/clubs/music, the lack of scores between skaters etc), the videos-are-up-but-now-videos-are-down situation, the fact that it was hard to find out who was even going to be in the videos...there was no real advertising.

readernick

Medalist
I think this is an unfair summary of what complaints have been. Most fans understand that these videos were never going to be broadcast quality. It's the way the whole thing was handled, the unprofessional and frankly. looking like they didn't even try way the videos were packaged for release (NOT THE QUALITY, the lack of straps with names/clubs/music, the lack of scores between skaters etc), the videos-are-up-but-now-videos-are-down situation, the fact that it was hard to find out who was even going to be in the videos...there was no real advertising.
First, figure skating in the US is a very minor sport. So, there is probably one guy/lady responsible for all of the editing. Have some pity on this person. It was the first attempt at such a competition. If there are no improvements in the future then you will have a reason to complain.

Secondly, my post was only in reference to the posters who were comparing it to live broadcast in person events being held in other countries. That is an unfair comparison. My post wasn't aimed at the posters who want slight changes like the names of skaters and longer pauses between skaters. Those are fair criticisms that I would recommend informing the USFS of prior to the next event. They would probably welcome the suggestions.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Looking at Gracie’s score I was so confused because that program seemed like it could have been at least 100. What made Gracie 50 points worse than Mariah?? :scratch2:
I didn't see Gracie at all in the ISP virtual feed. What competition are you talking about?

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I didn't see Gracie at all in the ISP virtual feed. What competition are you talking about?
She was initially included in the videos on Tuesday but not the separate result sheet. I haven’t watched since, has she been removed from the videos? It would make sense if they did remove her because that short program video quality was so bad :ROFLMAO:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Oh really? Wow. I had no idea. I couldn't figure why Gracie was being discussed when I didn't see her program at all, and she wasn't on the scoring list either.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Honestly I think Chen fs has potential to be his best fs so far. I think the music choices are good and as long as he doesnt wear some drastically hideous baggy top I think the program will look very beautiful and sleek

Totally agree. I've always enjoyed Nathan and actually think he deserves his PCS but his wardrobe does him no favours in terms of presentation.

He's actually a beautiful skater once you get past the flying loose tops in assorted colors.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't think it's a conspiracy or grand. It's just a strategy. ;) Also I think Thorngren may have been the best technically.

Were you a fly on the wall in the judging proceedings for this event? Or a fly on many walls, since the judges were most likely never in the same room. LOL! :popcorn:

Steinbeck

Rinkside
Were you a fly on the wall in the judging proceedings for this event? Or a fly on many walls, since the judges were most likely never in the same room. LOL! :popcorn:
LOL! There's really no need to be a fly. You just have to watch the skating, and look at the judging decisions to see what and who is being prioritized.

cl2

Final Flight
Totally agree. I've always enjoyed Nathan and actually think he deserves his PCS but his wardrobe does him no favours in terms of presentation.

He's actually a beautiful skater once you get past the flying loose tops in assorted colors.
I hate that it shows off his midriff on his camel spins. Can't he have put on something more presentable? It's like showing up to a Zoom meeting with your boss in pyjamas... oh wait, people do that anyway.

rain

Record Breaker
Posted this in the thread under U.S. Nationals, but looks like all the action is here. So please forgive the double post:

Anyway, a few thoughts a the skaters I've managed to catch up with on Youtube so far:

Jason Brown's programs are so brilliant they made me want to simultaneously cry and give him a standing ovation. Both of them. I'm thrilled to see he's skating the short to Sinnerman, a favourite of mine. Surely he is the best male spinner in the world right now. There is no contest. Love the back kicks he's doing in both programs and the footwork in the LP is to die for — oh what am I saying, it's to die for in the SP as well. I'm in love with the combination double axel/triple toe right into the split jump, into another triple (sorry, missed which type) then into a stag leap. Genius. It makes me sad we won't be able to see these programs repeatedly at competitions throughout a normal season. His jumps are looking really good. I presume that the opening triple in his SP is going to be a quad later on.

Mariah Bell's programs disappointed me a bit. She is one of my favourite ladies, and is probably the best performer in the ladies field in the world today, but I found her music selections don't help her out this season so far. The short is sort of generic angst (which she's normally great at, don't get me wrong), and she is one of the best female spinners in the world, bar none. But it didn't leave a big impression. As for the long, well, I don't think I'm the first to complain about the Mamma Mia cuts that have been chosen. Far too much Winner Takes It All for my taste and not nearly enough of the fun stuff. There's so much great music in Mamma Mia and this does not do it justice. If you are not familiar with the musical you will be very confused as to why these songs have been put together. And they've been done really awkwardly. That said, she looked pretty good and in shape in the program. I just think some re-tooling of the music is in order.

Nathan Chen was of course a masterful display of technical jumping prowess. And I love his SP music and have since I saw Desperado way back in the day. I hope more choreography will be added to the short, particularly in the beginning. There just seems to be a lot of jump set up. I love the footwork sequence, it's brilliant and that's when the program really comes alive for me. I can't tell if it was just his slightly baggy workout gear, but I thought he needed to pay some attention to his arms and shoulders — his shoulders looked sort of high here at times, and I don't recall him ever really having a particular issue with that in the past. His LP is wonderfully choreographed and a really pleasant change (for me at least) from last year's dud. I loved his sensitivity to the music from first to last. Comparing him to Jason, though, he needs to work on those spins. Realistically he's not going to match Jason's unusual and stunning positions, but he could do a lot better on speed and some of them looked downright awkward. Something to work on as the season goes.

I'll post more as I see more skaters. Just wanted to get some thoughts down.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Posted this in the thread under U.S. Nationals, but looks like all the action is here. So please forgive the double post:

Anyway, a few thoughts a the skaters I've managed to catch up with on Youtube so far:

Jason Brown's programs are so brilliant they made me want to simultaneously cry and give him a standing ovation. Both of them. I'm thrilled to see he's skating the short to Sinnerman, a favourite of mine. Surely he is the best male spinner in the world right now. There is no contest. Love the back kicks he's doing in both programs and the footwork in the LP is to die for — oh what am I saying, it's to die for in the SP as well. I'm in love with the combination double axel/triple toe right into the split jump, into another triple (sorry, missed which type) then into a stag leap. Genius. It makes me sad we won't be able to see these programs repeatedly at competitions throughout a normal season. His jumps are looking really good. I presume that the opening triple in his SP is going to be a quad later on.

Mariah Bell's programs disappointed me a bit. She is one of my favourite ladies, and is probably the best performer in the ladies field in the world today, but I found her music selections don't help her out this season so far. The short is sort of generic angst (which she's normally great at, don't get me wrong), and she is one of the best female spinners in the world, bar none. But it didn't leave a big impression. As for the long, well, I don't think I'm the first to complain about the Mamma Mia cuts that have been chosen. Far too much Winner Takes It All for my taste and not nearly enough of the fun stuff. There's so much great music in Mamma Mia and this does not do it justice. If you are not familiar with the musical you will be very confused as to why these songs have been put together. And they've been done really awkwardly. That said, she looked pretty good and in shape in the program. I just think some re-tooling of the music is in order.

Nathan Chen was of course a masterful display of technical jumping prowess. And I love his SP music and have since I saw Desperado way back in the day. I hope more choreography will be added to the short, particularly in the beginning. There just seems to be a lot of jump set up. I love the footwork sequence, it's brilliant and that's when the program really comes alive for me. I can't tell if it was just his slightly baggy workout gear, but I thought he needed to pay some attention to his arms and shoulders — his shoulders looked sort of high here at times, and I don't recall him ever really having a particular issue with that in the past. His LP is wonderfully choreographed and a really pleasant change (for me at least) from last year's dud. I loved his sensitivity to the music from first to last. Comparing him to Jason, though, he needs to work on those spins. Realistically he's not going to match Jason's unusual and stunning positions, but he could do a lot better on speed and some of them looked downright awkward. Something to work on as the season goes.

I'll post more as I see more skaters. Just wanted to get some thoughts down.
I must say I am not enthralled with Mariah's programs either. The short is angsty and ordinary. The free starts off cute and gets more and more unraveled as it goes. If she really wants ABBA then she should use it for the short - dancing queen or change to the edgier Voulez vous. I think the edgier song would work better plus the lyrics nothing promised, no regrets and master of the scene on repeat would toughen her up mentally. Not that she isn't tough, she just needs that extra nudge sometimes. I think the song is just begging to be used for a SP. For the free I would like to see her do something soaring and inspiring like The Piano.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Just watched Bradie Tennell's programs and had a few thoughts. I couldn't judge the music, because the video had so much echo, especially for the SP that it was actually hard to hear what it was. The choreography overall is just blah. Come on, surprise me! That's what Jason's choreography does so brilliantly, from combinations of moves, to cool moments. You could see the underrotations in real time. I'm going to chalk that up to a late start because of the pandemic. Bradie does not get the props she deserves for being one of the world's best female spinners. Last year I would have actually rated her No. 1. Here, the spins needed some work, like the jumps, but the potential is there. Incredible speed, precise positions, originality. It's one of her very best skills.

rain

Record Breaker
I must say I am not enthralled with Mariahs programs either. The short is angsty and ordinary. The free starts off cute and gets more and more unraveled as it goes. If she really wants ABBA then she should use it for the short - dancing queen or change to the edgier Voulez Vouz. I think the edgier song would work better plus the lyrics nothing promised, no regrets and master of the game on repeat would toughen her up mentally. Not that she isn't tough, she just needs that extra nudge sometimes. For the free I would like to see her do something soaring and inspiring like The Piano.
Yes, inspiring is really her wheelhouse. This Mamma Mia mix is just kind of all over the place. And I adore ABBA and Mamma Mia.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, inspiring is really her wheelhouse. This Mamma Mia mix is just kind of all over the place. And I adore ABBA and Mamma Mia.
What do you think of Voulez vous for a SP?

rain

Record Breaker
What do you think of Voulez vous for a SP?
Voulez vous could be tons of fun as a SP. I'd love to see a SP to Knowing Me Knowing You. Or heck, Mamma Mia or Take a Chance on Me or Money, Money, Money. How about Gimme, Gimme, Gimme.