USFS to Send Liu, Zhou to Nebelhorn Trophy | Golden Skate

USFS to Send Liu, Zhou to Nebelhorn Trophy

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (Aug. 30, 2021) - U.S. Figure Skating announced today the athlete selections for 2021 Nebelhorn Trophy, set for September 21-25 in Oberstdorf, Germany. It is the final qualifying competition for the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022. Based on the results of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021, the United States earned two Olympic entries in both the women’s and men’s competition with the opportunity to confirm a third entry at Nebelhorn Trophy. Alysa Liu and Vincent Zhou will compete to secure Olympic entries in the women’s and men’s disciplines for Team USA.

Alysa Liu is a two-time U.S. champion and will make her senior international debut this season. The 16-year-old is the 2020 World Junior bronze medalist and finished fourth at the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships. Along with Nebelhorn Trophy, Liu is scheduled to compete at Lombardia Trophy, Skate Canada International and NHK Trophy this fall.

Vincent Zhou is the 2019 World bronze medalist and a 2018 Olympian. He is also the 2019 Four Continents bronze medalist and a three-time U.S. silver medalist, most recently at the 2021 U.S. Championships. At the 2021 World Championships, Zhou narrowly missed qualification for the free skate, finishing 25th overall. This fall, he is also scheduled to compete at 2021 Guaranteed Rate Skate America and NHK Trophy.

Nebelhorn Trophy is the third stop of the ISU Challenger Series. In addition to the entries to be confirmed at Nebelhorn Trophy, the U.S. secured two entries in the pairs and three entries in ice dance at the 2021 World Championships.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Solid choices, although I worry about relying on Zhou because he can be pretty bad when he's off.
This is his last chance to prove that Worlds was a fluke. I'm sure he's fallen out of favor with the Fed and this may be his final chance at redemption. Now, I've heard that there might be a ban on US skaters entering the country, is that True?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This is his last chance to prove that Worlds was a fluke. I'm sure he's fallen out of favor with the Fed and this may be his final chance at redemption. Now, I've heard that there might be a ban on US skaters entering the country, is that True?
I don't think any of his results have been a fluke; rather, I just think he's a very up-and-down skater. His Worlds finishes have been 3rd, 14th, and 25th. At GP events, his results have ranged from 2nd to 9th, with an average of around 5th. I'm not sure about any bans, but I would expect vaccinated athletes to be able to attend events without having to quarantine (provided they test negative).

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't think any of his results have been a fluke; rather, I just think he's a very up-and-down skater. His Worlds finishes have been 3rd, 14th, and 25th. At GP events, his results have ranged from 2nd to 9th, with an average of around 5th. I'm not sure about any bans, but I would expect vaccinated athletes to be able to attend events without having to quarantine (provided they test negative).
Well, Vincent has been on the National Podium 4 times. 5, if you include his Pewter Medal in 2020 and I think his future is in his hands. He skates well, he goes to the Olympics. If not, he stays home. I doubt the committee will be holding him up this season.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The EU may recommend to member countries that the US be designated a "red zone".

Even with the designation, athletes with approved vaccinations can enter the country. Moderna, Pfizer and J&J are approved. So vaccinated US athletes (and I know for example Jason is vaccinated) are good to go(y)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Solid choices, although I worry about relying on Zhou because he can be pretty bad when he's off.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry. He had an awful short program at Worlds and was twenty-fifth -- meaning he still beat most of the guys he will be competing with at Nebelhorn in that segment, and that's without the free skate where he has a huge base value advantage. He just needs to be top 7 (and realistically maybe top 8, since Sweden may very well give back its spot).

ucrgirl

On the Ice
I'm not sure anyone can fall out of favor with the Fed without there being someone ready to take their place. With Jason injured and the fourth/fifth/sixth place US men not being quite ready for Prime time I think Vincent is safely within the federations good graces this year.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure anyone can fall out of favor with the Fed without there being someone ready to take their place. With Jason injured and the fourth/fifth/sixth place US men not being quite ready for Prime time I think Vincent is safely within the federations good graces this year.

Just a small note (unrelated to Nebelhorn): There is no proof that Jason is currently injured, unless there is reporting today of which I am unaware. I believe there was a throwaway line in a TSL broadcast about Jason being injured. However, an observer at Champs Camp saw Jason run through Schindler's List, so the throwaway line appears just that. :)

That said, I think Vincent is in good shape, unless he tanks Nebelhorn. He can be inconsistent, (2021 Worlds was not his first unfortunate skate) but he appears to be motivated now, and I think that's a good thing for him. And I certainly hope he brings home that third spot:pray:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Just a small note (unrelated to Nebelhorn): There is no proof that Jason is currently injured, unless there is reporting today of which I am unaware. I believe there was a throwaway line in a TSL broadcast about Jason being injured. However, an observer at Champs Camp saw Jason run through Schindler's List, so the throwaway line appears just that. :)

That said, I think Vincent is in good shape, unless he tanks Nebelhorn. He can be inconsistent, (2021 Worlds was not his first unfortunate skate) but he appears to be motivated now, and I think that's a good thing for him. And I certainly hope he brings home that third spot:pray:
I haven't heard a word about Jason being injured. Unless it's really serious, I imagine he'll be ready for Nationals even if he skips the GP Season. Michelle skipped the Grand Prix one year and she went on to win Nationals so. hopefully Jason will be fine.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They repeated in their most recent episode that he's been dealing with a foot injury during the summer.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They repeated in their most recent episode that he's been dealing with a foot injury during the summer.

I am not one of the parade of "Let's Pile on TSL". But as has been said in the Jason FF, Dave really needs to put up or shut up on this one. Particularly with Scott Hamilton posting a (still) photo of Jason on ice at Champs Camp. ;)

Sorry for the OT....

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am not one of the parade of "Let's Pile on TSL". But as has been said in the Jason FF, Dave really needs to put up or shut up on this one. Particularly with Scott Hamilton posting a (still) photo of Jason on ice at Champs Camp. ;)

Sorry for the OT....
Lease didn’t say Jason didn’t perform. Indeed, he discussed it.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Well, maybe I will actually have to watch before I speak. :biggrin: Although if there is an ill advised comparison to Ashley, as I have heard, maybe not :) But from "broken foot" to "foot injury" to whatever other phrase Dave decides to use, well, it does not inspire confidence.ETA: but again all of this is second hand. If Dave did not actually use the term "broken foot" in any of his vids, then I am wrong and I apologize.

I shouldn't divert from this thread any more though.

Go Vincent! Go Alysa!:clap:

Amei

Record Breaker
I haven't heard a word about Jason being injured. Unless it's really serious, I imagine he'll be ready for Nationals even if he skips the GP Season. Michelle skipped the Grand Prix one year and she went on to win Nationals so. hopefully Jason will be fine.

Michelle for the most part was largely the undisputed #1 skater her main challenger was Sasha Cohen who was generally reliable to make a big enough error to cost her first place (and anyone that knows my posting Cohen is my favorite of the US ladies of the era) ; Jason for all his lovely qualities is not the undisputed #1 skater in the US but right now is 2-3 depending on the errors that Zhou makes and there are high quality skaters behind him that have the technical arsenal to beat him, where he's got to count on them making errors.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
For me, I'm glad to see Vincent going to this event. He's the reason we have to compete for that 3rd spot, so he should be the one to earn it back! I'm sure he's motivated and wants to do great! This really is his to lose. And for Alysa, this is her chance to make her senior debut officially. Best of luck to both of them!!

Here is the article I read:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Really? All I recall was (1) a lot of innuendo about Jason not showing up at Champs Camp in “ideal” condition due to a foot injury this summer, (2) a somewhat oblique reference to Ashley Wagner and Moulin Rouge, and (3) speculation that people who seem to be locks may not be locks anymore. No facts, no real substance.

ucrgirl

On the Ice

That said, I think Vincent is in good shape, unless he tanks Nebelhorn.
I see that Jason being injured/having been injured this summer is not certain. I do still stand by my statement that the US federation cannot afford to put Vincent outside of their good graces. Even if Jason passes Vincent this season, I don't see a second US athlete passing him.

With the last two seasons (and maybe this one too) being heavily impacted by COVID, I'm not sure the US can calculate "body of work" into the selection process, but Vincent seems to be regularly a top 3 US man as far as I can see.