USFS to Send Liu, Zhou to Nebelhorn Trophy | Page 5 | Golden Skate

USFS to Send Liu, Zhou to Nebelhorn Trophy

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only bad part for Alysa is that she has maxed out her international competition points already, and the season has barely begun. The only other points she can get now are in the GP, and she has two tough events.

She is at #11 on World Standings, and is vulnerable to be passed by skaters like Hendrickx and Valieva who are also in the GP and haven't maxed out their internationals. And the Japanese, as well.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USFSA - smart choices that paid off. Both Alysa and Vincent won. Alysa has now won 2 major intl. events this year = momentum!
Definitely agree that this is good for momentum and confidence. A win is a win and you can’t take that away.

However, I am not getting on the hype train until I see her compete with tougher fields. Skate Canada in a month will be a good first final exam. If she wins that, then it’s all aboard.

She won every event that she was the favorite in. Nothing more, nothing less.

She certainly won’t be the favorite in Canada. Let’s see where she places.

I can certainly see where @icybear is coming from. I want to see a step up in opposition strength as well.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Definitely agree that this is good for momentum and confidence. A win is a win and you can’t take that away.

However, I am not getting on the hype train until I see her compete with tougher fields. Skate Canada in a month will be a good first final exam. If she wins that, then it’s all aboard.

She won every event that she was the favorite in. Nothing more, nothing less.

She certainly won’t be the favorite in Canada. Let’s see where she places.

I can certainly see where @icybear is coming from. I want to see a step up in opposition strength as well.
A route to the GPF might be easier than her winning Skate Canada. Remember a 4th place finish and a silver medal on the GP circuit will get you to the GPF over someone who got 2 Bronze medals. 4th at Skate Canada and 2nd at NHK Trophy is not completely out of the question, especially if she can get a consistent 3A.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
A route to the GPF might be easier than her winning Skate Canada. Remember a 4th place finish and a silver medal on the GP circuit will get you to the GPF over someone who got 2 Bronze medals. 4th at Skate Canada and 2nd at NHK Trophy is not completely out of the question, especially if she can get a consistent 3A.
Based on current form (Kihira hasn't competed this season), I can realistically see Alysa coming in second behind Valieva at SC. Her 3a's were good in practice at Nebelhorn.

Olympic

On the Ice
LOL they're just challenger competitions hardly major competition. The only serious competitor she faced was You young and Mariah bell whose chance of even making to the olympics are looking slim
No need to LOL at me, buddy. I meant it was good momentum that she got off on the right foot at her 1st Senior international competitions. That’s all.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
The only bad part for Alysa is that she has maxed out her international competition points already, and the season has barely begun. The only other points she can get now are in the GP, and she has two tough events.

She is at #11 on World Standings, and is vulnerable to be passed by skaters like Hendrickx and Valieva who are also in the GP and haven't maxed out their internationals. And the Japanese, as well.
Maxed out? And you know this how? Alysa hasn't maxed out anything. As long as she's consistent, Alysa's scores are only going to get better and better as the season progresses.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Maxed out? And you know this how? Alysa hasn't maxed out anything. As long as she's consistent, Alysa's scores are only going to get better and better as the season progresses.
Maxing out ISU world ranking points from the challengers which helps determine where Alysa can appear in the SP draw order at Worlds and the Olympics.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Well there’s not much she can do about it if it happens except skate her best, is there? And skating in an earlier warmup group won’t necessarily doom her. There’s almost always someone who overcomes that - for example, Yuma Kagiyama started 15th at 4CC 2020, was 5th after the SP, and ended up taking bronze. Karen started 21st at Worlds this year and ended up 4th. Besides, she will still get points for her GPs even if she doesn’t medal - I think she could place as low as 8th and still get nearly 200 points.

Sjs5572

Final Flight

Considering that the ranking system does not account for the canceling of last year's junior season, she is doing all she can as a first year senior. Two challenger wins at this stage in the season added 600 points....can't do better than that.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the ISU World Ranking system, points for International competitions (including both Challenges and Senior Bs) are limited to two per year. Already this early in the season, Alysa won two Challenge events, which earned her 300 points apiece, and that IS the maximum any skater can get in the International Competition category. Alysa can compete in other Challenges or B competitions, but she won't get any additional World ranking points.

Of course, she can earn points for both her GP events (with an additional bonus should she make it to the GPF). She can also earn points for an ISU championship event. Again, a skater can go to multiple ISU Championships (4CC, Olympics, Worlds) but will receive points only for the one with the highest points.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Maxing out ISU world ranking points from the challengers which helps determine where Alysa can appear in the SP draw order at Worlds and the Olympics.
Again, as long as Alysa skates her best, that shouldn't be a problem. Sasha Cohen skated very early in the SP at the 2002 Olympics and ended up third going into the FS. And as she hadn't gone to Worlds in 2001, the Olympics were her first major international senior competition, as it hopefully will be for Alysa next year. Sarah Hughes also skated early (before Sasha I think), was in 4th going into the FS and wound up winning the whole thing. Different scoring system but it's still a similar situation. Alysa obviously has to skate lights out but I can still see her in the final or penultimate group at the Olympics. And she won't go into the Games as a relative unknown which also helps. Imo, her PCS scores are key. Hopefully they'll keep improving as the Olympic season progresses, as well as her jumps. I think international judges have shown that they like her and are willing to give her high scores as she progresses.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bradie Tennell skated first in the SP at the 2018 Olympics, but made it into the next-to-last group for the FS. She finished 9th overall in her first major championship, ahead of both Mirai and Karen.

zebobes

Final Flight
Not just those competitions, the GP series as well is also based on World Ranking.

That said, she now has plenty of points to allow her to be in the second group at any Grand Prix, so I think she's set herself up well for her first official senior season.

Dawn825

Medalist
4CC will have a lot of points up for grabs. The top US skaters might end up doing it if it ends up coming to America.
Is that a possibility? Like, has the US expressed a desire to hold it or you're just saying America is one of the four continents so it could be there?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
4CC will have a lot of points up for grabs. The top US skaters might end up doing it if ends up coming to America.

Is that a possibility? Like, has the US expressed a desire to hold it or you're just saying America is one of the four continents so it could be there?

The only possible Asian venue is Taiwan, and Canada hasn't hosted 4CC in 20 years. So the US seems the most likely candidate. We should find out soon.

If it turns out to be Taiwan, probably the Olympic-bound skaters won't go, as the dates between 4CC and Olympics are too close, and it would be too much traveling prior to the competition.