Vanessa James unaware of abuse allegations against former partner | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Vanessa James unaware of abuse allegations against former partner

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I thought it was? In this case the claim was the girls requested the pic but that doesn't matter because of their age and power imbalance. A 16 year old asking for a d*ck pic still isn't right from a power imbalance point of view, but in Australia that's the age of consent.

I don't think so either but she didn't really make it clear? Like the problem is the statement focused too much on excusing herself, when it should have focussed on the victims and really clearly stated how wrong Morgan's actions were.

That sounds weird because it's kinda obvious you don't send d*ck pics to minors, but if Morgan's lack of contrition and unwillingness to return to the US and face the consequences is any indication some people DON'T get it. It's terrible to think about but I'm pretty sure he doesn't think he did anything wrong at all and is being hard done by!
It's at least morally wrong. Like what would possess you to send pictures of your pen*s to a 13 year old?? She was literally half his age or 13 years younger than him.

Furthermore, regarding Morgan and his coaches, you can't use the excuse that he didn't know it was wrong or that he didn't know it was illegal. You don't try to cover up and threaten someone to not expose something when you're in the right. (I'm personally playing the world's smallest violin over Morgan's "woe is me" attitude. He deserves so much more than what he's getting.)

I think the biggest problem with Vanessa's statement is that it sounds like she's centering herself and it comes off as "damage control" and wanting to make herself look good rather than centering abuse victims. I understand it's a difficult situation for her but true allies don't come out and say they're allies. Actions speak louder than words.

It would have been better if she had not made a a statement at all at this late date. I suppose that reporters and Skate Canada publicists forced her to say something, and this is the best they could come up with. "I am a good person. I think that people shoulld be good and not bad. Thank you for asking."

Amei

Record Breaker
It would have been better if she had not made a a statement at all at this late date. I suppose that reporters and Skate Canada publicists forced her to say something, and this is the best they could come up with. "I am a good person. I think that people shoulld be good and not bad. Thank you for asking."

Wouldn't surprise me, whoever wrote her statement should be fired from whatever PR job they are working.

Weathergal

Medalist

Wouldn't surprise me, whoever wrote her statement should be fired from whatever PR job they are working.
You both pretty much summed what I've been thinking. Her statement certainly read as a prepared statement, but it wasn't - to say the least - well prepared. I'm not sure it accomplished what she wanted it to.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
to be fair to the PR people and even to Vanessa herself : is there really a proper way to deal with this ?... no matter what is said, it's going to sound wrong. I am conflicted about what to think of all this...

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm not sure...if she had said "I made a terrible error of judgement, I'm sorry to anyone who was hurt (rather than FELT hurt because that kinda suggests that you don't think you did wrong it's just oversensitive people) and if something like this happens to you or you see something bad happening report it. There's support out there (maybe even give a phone number or something) to help you and you will be believed."

Obviously that might not be good enough for some but I think of she said it genuinely (and I hope she would) it would go a long way.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don't know... feeling hurt to to me is more inclusive... because you may not have been directly hurt but you may have felt it, by empathy for other victims.... see...it's not that easy ...

mrrice

Record Breaker
to be fair to the PR people and even to Vanessa herself : is there really a proper way to deal with this ?... no matter what is said, it's going to sound wrong. I am conflicted about what to think of all this...
Plus, until this hit the news, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he kept this hidden from her. Lord knows I hid some things from my dance partners while I was touring. Nothing lurid but, I did sneak away from tour after I met that handsome man in Banff. I even snuck him into my hotel a couple of times. Of course, he was 40 so it wouldn't have been a crime.