Wally jump with more than one revolution? | Golden Skate

Wally jump with more than one revolution?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Really curious if anyone ever does a Walley jump with more than one revolution? Is there any such thing as a Double Wally? Also, what is the reason why its not considered a jump in the way salchow, lutz, loop, etc. are considered jumps? What is the history there?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Really curious if anyone ever does a Walley jump with more than one revolution? Is there any such thing as a Double Wally? Also, what is the reason why its not considered a jump in the way salchow, lutz, loop, etc. are considered jumps? What is the history there?
Yes, there have been attempted and accomplished double walleys. A series of them can be done down the ice right after another with long edge pulls from outside to inside in b/t. ISU considers them transitional moves due to them using the edge pulls as a means of momentum for take off.

A reverse direction walley (from the skaters natural jumping direction) has been used at times before as an entrance to lutz.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Yes, there have been attempted and accomplished double walleys. A series of them can be done down the ice right after another with long edge pulls from outside to inside in b/t. ISU considers them transitional moves due to them using the edge pulls as a means of momentum for take off.

A reverse direction walley (from the skaters natural jumping direction) has been used at times before as an entrance to lutz.
Oooh...I'd love to see someone doing a "double Walley"! Sounds cool!

Thanks for clarifying why it isn't a jump and scored as such. Doesn't sound like a Double Walley will get you much points then!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Pretty sure there is a video of Brendan Kerry doing it in practice a couple of years ago. I'll have to see if I can hunt it down after work. It was on instagram I think but rockerskating put it on twitter as well.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Here's the only example I know of in competition:

I've heard Josef Sabovcik was also trying them in practice in the 1980s.

I've seen a video of Jozef doing a double walley triple toe in practice. (He was the one who showed us the video).

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Here's the only example I know of in competition:

I've heard Josef Sabovcik was also trying them in practice in the 1980s.
That was cool but seems risky and a lot of effort for "footwork", now that I know how its scored!

gkelly

Record Breaker
Well, I think the ISU could leave the single walley as an unlisted element but add the double and triple to the scale of values. But no one's asking me.

And I'd expect a lot of reviews for edge calls.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I've landed Double Walley before. It was extremely scary - scarier than any triple.
So if it were to be added to the Scale of Values, what do you think would be a fair value for double walley?

I'm thinking at least 3.0, perhaps up to about 5.0? It would be good to get input from people who have actually tried them.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
So if it were to be added to the Scale of Values, what do you think would be a fair value for double walley?

I'm thinking at least 3.0, perhaps up to about 5.0? It would be good to get input from people who have actually tried them.

It's easier physically than a double axel or triple jump, but much harder mentally. You have to throw yourself and hope for the best to some extent. The falls are consistently bad if you don't make them.

If they were an element I'd put them at 3.3 (easier than double axel physically but not mentally).

Maybe have them as an euler option but with an intentional change of edge. Make it double axel points as then otherwise no motivation to do it over a double half loop (which is quite easy).