Want to get back into skating | Golden Skate

Want to get back into skating

StepfordCuckoos

Spectator
When I little (8 or 9) my dad thought that I was pretty good on the ice when he would take my little brother and I ice skating. So my mom put me in it when I was 9 and I skated for the next two years. I got up to the point of testing into freestyle I (forget what the level before it is called but I was in that one), but there was one skill I couldn't get. I believe it was inside or outside edges- something like that (it's been a long time...I'm 28 now). I just could not get the hang of it and ended up quitting skating. I think it was a combination of me not being able to get that skill and also having to devote more time to iceskating once I went into freestyle I. We had an iceskating rink up the street from my house so I would randomly go with my friends throughout the years. I haven't been in a long time though. I do miss it, and have been debating on signing up for an adults beginners class. I feel like I would be able to get the hang of it because I think my body somehow still reverts to ice skating when doing similar-ish sports. I got on roller blades last summer and one of the times I fell was because I (for some reason) automatically went to do a hockey stop as if that would work.

I don't think I would have progressed incredibly far into skating anyway- I'm 5'10 and I just don't see my long body being able to do intricate jumps and such. However, I am interested in possibly taking an adult beginners class. Does anyone who is around my height/female have experience with this? I know ice skating is more suited for shorter individuals, and I don't want to take a chance and do something that will completely mess up my knees. I just miss skating and think it would help with my anxiety.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When I little (8 or 9) my dad thought that I was pretty good on the ice when he would take my little brother and I ice skating. So my mom put me in it when I was 9 and I skated for the next two years. I got up to the point of testing into freestyle I (forget what the level before it is called but I was in that one), but there was one skill I couldn't get. I believe it was inside or outside edges- something like that (it's been a long time...I'm 28 now). I just could not get the hang of it and ended up quitting skating. I think it was a combination of me not being able to get that skill and also having to devote more time to iceskating once I went into freestyle I. We had an iceskating rink up the street from my house so I would randomly go with my friends throughout the years. I haven't been in a long time though. I do miss it, and have been debating on signing up for an adults beginners class. I feel like I would be able to get the hang of it because I think my body somehow still reverts to ice skating when doing similar-ish sports. I got on roller blades last summer and one of the times I fell was because I (for some reason) automatically went to do a hockey stop as if that would work.

I don't think I would have progressed incredibly far into skating anyway- I'm 5'10 and I just don't see my long body being able to do intricate jumps and such. However, I am interested in possibly taking an adult beginners class. Does anyone who is around my height/female have experience with this? I know ice skating is more suited for shorter individuals, and I don't want to take a chance and do something that will completely mess up my knees. I just miss skating and think it would help with my anxiety.
Hello and welcome!

@Mods, can this please be moved to Lutz Corner so we can properly help OP there?

You should do fine with starting adult classes, make sure you get fitted properly for boots/blades and have fun!
If nothing else, it is great exercise!

Good luck! :)

StepfordCuckoos

Spectator
Hello and welcome!

@Mods, can this please be moved to Lutz Corner so we can properly help OP there?

You should do fine with starting adult classes, make sure you get fitted properly for boots/blades and have fun!
If nothing else, it is great exercise!

Good luck! :)
Ah sorry about that! I looked at the different forums and wasn't sure where this post would fit best.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Taking an adult beginners class is a great idea! It's fun and you'll meet and hopefully make new friends while you laugh.

As Ic3Rabbit says, get fitted properly for boots and blades. It's not just the comfort factor. If you were struggling to get on a proper edge - whichever one - then it could be that you need orthotics in the boots to support your arches or even your blade(s) moved slightly. You wouldn't believe the difference a slight tweak to the equipment can make. But you do need a good skate tech/fitter for this and the right set up to start with. If you let us know where in the world you are, we can almost certainly help with a recommendation for where to go to get fitted properly.

Exciting! Enjoy the journey. :)

StepfordCuckoos

Spectator
Taking an adult beginners class is a great idea! It's fun and you'll meet and hopefully make new friends while you laugh.

As Ic3Rabbit says, get fitted properly for boots and blades. It's not just the comfort factor. If you were struggling to get on a proper edge - whichever one - then it could be that you need orthotics in the boots to support your arches or even your blade(s) moved slightly. You wouldn't believe the difference a slight tweak to the equipment can make. But you do need a good skate tech/fitter for this and the right set up to start with. If you let us know where in the world you are, we can almost certainly help with a recommendation for where to go to get fitted properly.

Exciting! Enjoy the journey. :)
Oooh, thank you for the insight. I never even thought about the boot fit being improper and whether that might have impacted it. I do remember whichever one I didn't have, I was very good at the opposite. Which, I think, made me even more frustrated. I'm located in MD on the Eastern Shore. Growing up though, I skated at Piney Orchard in Odenton, MD. At the time (I'm not sure they still do) the Caps practiced there. I have lots of memories of them coming off the ice and giving us signed pucks. But yeah, I did get my skates from that in rink shop but I'm going to guess my mom and I (having no frame of reference) probably didn't do research for what was best and just bought whatever they suggested at the time.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Oooh, thank you for the insight. I never even thought about the boot fit being improper and whether that might have impacted it. I do remember whichever one I didn't have, I was very good at the opposite. Which, I think, made me even more frustrated. I'm located in MD on the Eastern Shore. Growing up though, I skated at Piney Orchard in Odenton, MD. At the time (I'm not sure they still do) the Caps practiced there. I have lots of memories of them coming off the ice and giving us signed pucks. But yeah, I did get my skates from that in rink shop but I'm going to guess my mom and I (having no frame of reference) probably didn't do research for what was best and just bought whatever they suggested at the time.
You're welcome. Correct equipment, fitted properly, is key to success. It's incredibly frustrating for the pros to see people struggle because they have the wrong things on their feet - and not just at the very beginner level!

I'm in the UK, so I can't help with recommendations for MD, but I'm willing to bet that Ic3Rabbit will be able to. She has an encyclopaedic knowledge of every good fitter in the Universe...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@StepfordCuckoos Closest to drive to from Eastern Shore is going to be Pro Skate in Bowie. If it were me though and mileage didn't matter (not that it's very much further), I'd go to Wheaton Ice Shop. You can book your appointment here and point of contact is Quy Vu.

Good luck!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I've been skating my whole life, so different situation, but I am also female, 5'10'' and about 200lbs (150lbs when I was skating seriously) and I'm about your age. Definitely worth getting back on the ice if you want to. I was doing doubles and am currently working on my diamond dances. It's harder when you're tall, but it doesn't mean it can't be done.

The only thing I'd say is that if you decide to dance, the quick ones are crazy hard when you've got long legs, especially if you have slow twitch muscles like I do. The Polka is death. On the other hand, the smooth waltzes and some of the tangos are built for skaters with longer legs and are really great to do when you have the extension that being almost 6 foot gives you.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I'm about your height and not particularly thin. I jump and spin just fine. Axel has been a go to jump from about 6 months after I got back on the ice at about 28 until now and I can land a couple double jumps. It's a matter of proper technique and understanding it over and over...