want to get new skates! | Golden Skate

want to get new skates!

skater81

Spectator
Hi! so basically i skated when i was younger for like 5 years and quit 5 years ago, and ive recently been thinking of getting back into it. Back then i could do all my single jumps, maybe like a camel spin, sit spin but that was pretty much where it ended. i go skating sometimes in these really cheap recreational skates that dont really let me progress, the blade sucks so i can barely do 2 revs in a scratch spin without falling out of it, but my jumps are alright.

Like i said earlier, i want to get back into it and get a whole new set of boots and blades, but also on a budget. Ive been looking into jackson freestyle fusions with the aspire xp blade but ive seen many reviews that say that they hated the blade, and it was bad for spins, etc. Ive seen people talk highly about the jw coronation ace blades but its a little too much out of my budget.
Does anyone have any good recommendations ?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Hi! so basically i skated when i was younger for like 5 years and quit 5 years ago, and ive recently been thinking of getting back into it. Back then i could do all my single jumps, maybe like a camel spin, sit spin but that was pretty much where it ended. i go skating sometimes in these really cheap recreational skates that dont really let me progress, the blade sucks so i can barely do 2 revs in a scratch spin without falling out of it, but my jumps are alright.

Like i said earlier, i want to get back into it and get a whole new set of boots and blades, but also on a budget. Ive been looking into jackson freestyle fusions with the aspire xp blade but ive seen many reviews that say that they hated the blade, and it was bad for spins, etc. Ive seen people talk highly about the jw coronation ace blades but its a little too much out of my budget.
Have you considered looking into lightly used blades? I got a new pair of Phantoms from a person in a FB group for very reasonable (selling off her mother's hoarding situation), a lightly used pair on another group, and a pair of Gold Seals with about 1/2 life left, all for reasonable in the proper size

Ic3Rabbit

Patineuse élite et professionnelle
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Hi and welcome! Have you had a pro fitting for figure skates? That is how you need to start and they will be able to tell you what brand boot would be best for your foot. A fitter that knows what they are doing will measure and trace your foot.

If you don't mind telling us the area you are in we can suggest a good pro fitter there.
Then once you know what brand of boot is best for you, I can sometimes suggest where you can order them cheaper and same with blades if the fitter is too expensive for what you need. And yes, the blades you talked about upthread are not the greatest.
Your boot style is also going to depend on your height/weight etc.

Good luck!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Have you considered looking into lightly used blades? I got a new pair of Phantoms from a person in a FB group for very reasonable (selling off her mother's hoarding situation), a lightly used pair on another group, and a pair of Gold Seals with about 1/2 life left, all for reasonable in the proper size
Buying used blades, especially online, is a really iffy proposition. Regardless of the amount of sharpenable steel remaining, all it takes is one bad sharpening to ruin a blade. I would recommend buying used blades only if the skater, or an associate (e.g., a trusted coach or friend or tech), (a) knows how to inspect blades properly and (b) is able to inspect the blades prior to purchase [or be able to return the blades for only a small fee should they not pass inspection after purchase]. Otherwise, it's a roll of the dice, and that potential big bargain may end up a big loser.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Buying used blades, especially online, is a really iffy proposition. Regardless of the amount of sharpenable steel remaining, all it takes is one bad sharpening to ruin a blade. I would recommend buying used blades only if the skater, or an associate (e.g., a trusted coach or friend or tech), (a) knows how to inspect blades properly and (b) is able to inspect the blades prior to purchase [or be able to return the blades for only a small fee should they not pass inspection after purchase]. Otherwise, it's a roll of the dice, and that potential big bargain may end up a big loser.
I asked for pictures. I also purchased from someone who knew what they were doing. One pair was brand new (still has the rubber on the sharpenable steel) and one was sharpened 1X