What is your 'mohawk'? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What is your 'mohawk'?

Arwen17

Final Flight
Single Axel. After I landed it though I got my double loop and double toe quite quickly

This is what I'm hoping happens with me. When single axel finally, finally clicks in my brain, hopefully double salchow and double loop will quickly follow. I don't think double toe will follow quickly, but I might be wrong.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Double lutz. Have landed triples though they aren't consistent. 2Z doesn't want to happen. Have not landed it once.

Maybe it's because if I remotely feel myself off the edge I don't attempt. No way in hell am I letting myself flutz, that's for sure. Rather no lutz then a flutz.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Spins. All of them.

I'm just not a natural spinner. I learned basic two-foot and one-foot spins well enough to pass those levels in LTS, and haven't gotten a single spin skill past that. I can't seem to simultaneously keep my balance on the right part of the blade and manipulate my body into a proper forward scratch position. I have hip flexibility issues that make the sit spin position really stiff and uncomfortable for me. My best backspin to date was one and a half revolutions, but not quite in the proper position.

I haven't been on the ice much since COVID, but the last couple times I skated I could still manage crossovers, half jumps and most of my turns. Spinning was completely gone. Sigh.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Back counters (give me a back rocker or forward counter any day...)

Also, footwork loops... I'm surprised they were invented before loop jumps, because they are definitely harder to do!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Back counters (give me a back rocker or forward counter any day...)
Quick tip that seems to help a lot of the people I teach who are stuck on back counters. A mini edge pull and counter rotation have to happen at the same followed by an arm switch and moving yoru weight to be over the back part of the blade at the same time. Back counters are very timing heavy, so if they're inconsistent, focus on the timing of the successful ones and try to mimic it.

kappa_1

On the Ice
I LOVE this thread.

I have 3 I think:
1) Loop from back cross-over entry. I learned the FI3 entry years ago and can just barely now pull off a kind-of loop from the backward cross-over entry. My left shoulder just flings open and it's game over.

2) Lunges with my left foot in front. Can do them all day everyday on the other foot but I'm imbalanced sorry!!

3) Forward cross-rolls. It's always something. Been working on my silver moves for years and I think these are still the weakest while the other ones surpassed it.

Other things like camel spin have taken me a lot of time and labor but I do feel slow and steady progress. The others I listed I feel like I "should" have gotten them by now based on what else I can do but oh well. The joy of skating :D

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
2) Lunges with my left foot in front. Can do them all day everyday on the other foot but I'm imbalanced sorry!!
This is me with my right. And other girls are just doing it in their warm up for their spirals like it's nothing.

swansongs

Spectator
mohawks are my mohawk LOL. I learned my 3-turns months and months before trying a mohawk until another coach was supervising group lessons and had us all doing mohawks. I don't practice them as much as I should but it's one of those elements where I just needed to wait for it to "click". with most of my jumps, I struggled a lot at first with learning one element and then forgetting another (ie when I first landed my loop, I had my arms awkwardly up like a t-rex and whenever I get the arm placement right, I forget how to take off with my feet). my coach is endlessly patient with me and understands that it's not that I'm not listening to her, it's just that my brain has trouble combining all the parts of a skill when I'm actually doing it.

mystery905

Rinkside
Since I originally posted 3 years ago, I now have my toe-loop, loop, and just got my flip with a very good and patient coach.

Current difficult move is: backspin, and without it have no hope of learning any double jumps.

I had my spin rocker adjusted so I am not rocking too much back and forth and it seems a bit easier (can do a single revolution from stand-still), and my forward upright spin is a lot better.