What kind of skater can I be? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What kind of skater can I be?

sk8chis

On the Ice
Don't upload a picture! We trust you, and this is still a online forum —this is your 8º post, you don't know us, etc.
If skating as a kid for 7 years you didn't get past your flip, be patient when setting your goals —triples seem a bit far-fetched for anyone that didn't have them at 17. But overall, hoping doesn't hurt anyone, so just take your lessons and see where it goes.
Good luck!!

Hi! and yeah triples is really far fetched lol even I know that. I think once you get to a certain age after 18 you forget how to plan short term goals and plan long term for everything [emoji23] happens to me even when I grocery shop too.

Thank you for your post! and thank you everyone else for the help :) I was just using the downtime while I wait for my new skates to come, to do some research and get advice. But i’m just gonna throw out the expectations and just focus on how much i enjoy skating!

jf12

Final Flight
Why harder? I’m pretty underweight for my height and I always got my jumps better/faster than my spins. My body really hasn’t changed at all since I was 16. Even the coaches at my rink I knew before I left said I still look 16 (lol, i get this too often)
I’m not sure how to insert a picture but I can upload one with some guidance

LIke Mussique said, don't worry about getting your doubles 'in a few years'- if it took you 7 years to get the single flip at what's thought of as peak time for learning skating, be prepared and don't get frustrated if you don't get the jumps as fast as you want. 95% of people (esp adults) never get any doubles, and even kids who learn all their singles up to lutz within a year of skating often take another 3-4 years to get their doubles.

I also wouldn't worry about your height at ALL - I think size matters more for triples, but I have seen adults who learn axel and doubles, or maintain axel and doubles they had as a kid, do them at many different weights and heights. The only commonality is that they all have a really high core strength and muscle density for their size. In fact, you might find it to be the case, like many thin people, that once they start working out seriously, that your weight might go up.

Welcome back to skating and I wish you good progress on your goals!!

SnowLily

Rinkside
Doubles are a lot harder. Single jumps came to me easily, but I still can't do a double jump off ice. Also, jumps and spins will probably take longer, even if you haven't changed physically, you might have changed in other ways. Like getting scared before a jump more than you used to.
Don't think of your height as a disadvantage. There is good things to being taller, like skater faster.