When is the right time to upgrade my boots and blades?

Ihave2braincells

Rinkside
Okay, finally got to visit the pro shop, I was remeasured (to confirm my length in Jackson’s was correct, which it was) and tried on some Ripsort too, the ripsort boots felt pretty good (maybe a bit better than Jacksons but without actually skating it would be hard to tell) and they might be able to hold my heel/ankle better if I laced them tightly but it would still be a gamble. Other than that I was told to look into getting extra padding or gel in the area so my ankle can’t move, but I don’t think that’s a great long term solution. I was also told I probably won’t need new boots soon (wasn’t asked about my weight or size though and also the person telling me this was a hockey skater). Other than potentially switching brands or extra padding no other solutions were presented. Unfortunately one of my parents is of the opinion that I’m being melodramatic about the whole thing and that the heel/ankle moving even with pretty tight lacing isn’t a concern or potential safety issue. I literally had to waste the first 20 minutes of my practice session today because I had to go re-tighten my boots (with high effort in tightening) just so my foot wouldn’t move. Sorry about the mild rant. On a more positive note though, my spins have improved a lot, so that’s good I guess.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Unfortunately one of my parents is of the opinion that I’m being melodramatic about the whole thing and that the heel/ankle moving even with pretty tight lacing isn’t a concern or potential safety issue. I literally had to waste the first 20 minutes of my practice session today because I had to go re-tighten my boots (with high effort in tightening) just so my foot wouldn’t move. Sorry about the mild rant. On a more positive note though, my spins have improved a lot, so that’s good I guess.

I put a cosmetic pad at the back of my heel because even tho I have custom boots I still have some heel slip. I take the pad and place it at the indent above my heel, and then put on my sock.
I've also started using the ankle gel sleeve and that helps with alleviating ankle movement.
Give those a try.

Ic3Rabbit

Patineuse élite et professionnelle
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Okay, finally got to visit the pro shop, I was remeasured (to confirm my length in Jackson’s was correct, which it was) and tried on some Ripsort too, the ripsort boots felt pretty good (maybe a bit better than Jacksons but without actually skating it would be hard to tell) and they might be able to hold my heel/ankle better if I laced them tightly but it would still be a gamble. Other than that I was told to look into getting extra padding or gel in the area so my ankle can’t move, but I don’t think that’s a great long term solution. I was also told I probably won’t need new boots soon (wasn’t asked about my weight or size though and also the person telling me this was a hockey skater). Other than potentially switching brands or extra padding no other solutions were presented. Unfortunately one of my parents is of the opinion that I’m being melodramatic about the whole thing and that the heel/ankle moving even with pretty tight lacing isn’t a concern or potential safety issue. I literally had to waste the first 20 minutes of my practice session today because I had to go re-tighten my boots (with high effort in tightening) just so my foot wouldn’t move. Sorry about the mild rant. On a more positive note though, my spins have improved a lot, so that’s good I guess.
As I mentioned before, you don't want a hockey person who doesn't know figure skating fitting (which this person obvs didn't) doing your fitting. Please tell me you didn't get those boots.

Ihave2braincells

Rinkside
As I mentioned before, you don't want a hockey person who doesn't know figure skating fitting (which this person obvs didn't) doing your fitting. Please tell me you didn't get those boots.
No, nothing was purchased don’t worry, we just came in to discuss the fit issue I’d been having

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Don’t be afraid of the gel inserts or padding! It’s just another way to tweak your fit. My older skater used bunga pad sleeves every day on the ice for a good fit. She initially had trouble with loose ankles and heel slip in her skates and had to re-tie often. These were heat molded skates that fit well otherwise. After she played around with getting it in just the right spot, it was just part of putting on her skates. I’ve seen skaters at nationals this past weekend with the gel sleeves. You can get a generic version that’s less expensive to try at first.

Hopefully your parents will come around To understand. It takes a while to understand how intricate the fit of skates are. My DH came along to a skate fitting and my DD walked out with skates that had to be replaced within a few months (too big) After wasting ice time, coaching time, lots of time and money, we learned our lesson. Maybe have a coach talk to them? Have then help you get some pads and give some guidance on where to put them for the proper effect.

Lat but not least, from my experience in running and fitting running shoes, there are alternate methods of lacing that can keep the skate secure but help tighten or relieve pressure in specific areas. I tied the ankle anchor method on my older DDs skates, even with the bunga pads, to snug her heel down. I believe there is an online demonstration and some skater who posted the different methods. I’ll see if I can find it. I did show this to the national level skate tech for the brand and he approved so it was fine for the Jackson Elles and Debuts she was in.

Ihave2braincells

Rinkside
Don’t be afraid of the gel inserts or padding! It’s just another way to tweak your fit. My older skater used bunga pad sleeves every day on the ice for a good fit. She initially had trouble with loose ankles and heel slip in her skates and had to re-tie often. These were heat molded skates that fit well otherwise. After she played around with getting it in just the right spot, it was just part of putting on her skates. I’ve seen skaters at nationals this past weekend with the gel sleeves. You can get a generic version that’s less expensive to try at first.

Hopefully your parents will come around To understand. It takes a while to understand how intricate the fit of skates are. My DH came along to a skate fitting and my DD walked out with skates that had to be replaced within a few months (too big) After wasting ice time, coaching time, lots of time and money, we learned our lesson. Maybe have a coach talk to them? Have then help you get some pads and give some guidance on where to put them for the proper effect.

Lat but not least, from my experience in running and fitting running shoes, there are alternate methods of lacing that can keep the skate secure but help tighten or relieve pressure in specific areas. I tied the ankle anchor method on my older DDs skates, even with the bunga pads, to snug her heel down. I believe there is an online demonstration and some skater who posted the different methods. I’ll see if I can find it. I did show this to the national level skate tech for the brand and he approved so it was fine for the Jackson Elles and Debuts she was in.
Thanks so much for the insigh :), we've looked into getting padding/gel for the ankle area and I've tried relacing my skates in a different way that's supposed to help tighten the boot more (it's helped a bit but not hugely but I'll keep trying)

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Thanks so much for the insigh :), we've looked into getting padding/gel for the ankle area and I've tried relacing my skates in a different way that's supposed to help tighten the boot more (it's helped a bit but not hugely but I'll keep trying)
My one daughter used “gel sleeves” which fit around her entire ankle in a tube. We bought a less expensive brand on Am@zon. They worked better than individual pads because of her specific issues. I hope your next skates gice you the support and fit you need!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Try Bunga pads, even though I doubt you are going to get the fit you need by doing anything other than getting a proper fitting boot.

ehirata

Spectator
Country
United-States
It definitely sounds like you need new boots. I recently got new boots a few weeks ago. I switched from Riedells to Edeas, and I'm sooo glad I made the switch. It took me maybe a week to break them in? Quite a contrast from breaking in my Riedells (which felt like it took months). So that was really nice. They're so cozy and lightweight - they're like pillows on my feet! But one thing that's really neat about the Edeas is how they are meant to lock your heel in place while allowing your ankle to bend much more. If you have an Edea supplier near you, I would encourage you to check them out and try a fitting to see if it might work for you.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It definitely sounds like you need new boots. I recently got new boots a few weeks ago. I switched from Riedells to Edeas, and I'm sooo glad I made the switch. It took me maybe a week to break them in? Quite a contrast from breaking in my Riedells (which felt like it took months). So that was really nice. They're so cozy and lightweight - they're like pillows on my feet! But one thing that's really neat about the Edeas is how they are meant to lock your heel in place while allowing your ankle to bend much more. If you have an Edea supplier near you, I would encourage you to check them out and try a fitting to see if it might work for you.
Edeas are okay for some, but they aren't the be all end all for everyone. There are many skaters that hate the things, I've worn every brand and Edea is not as great as they have been marketed. Also, if you don't get a good fit with them, as many have not---the heel lock doesn't matter b/c no matter what their heel won't lock. I'm glad they worked for you, but the OP needs a better skate fitter than anything.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Edeas are okay for some, but they aren't the be all end all for everyone. There are many skaters that hate the things, I've worn every brand and Edea is not as great as they have been marketed. Also, if you don't get a good fit with them, as many have not---the heel lock doesn't matter b/c no matter what their heel won't lock. I'm glad they worked for you, but the OP needs a better skate fitter than anything.

Fully agree about Edea.

Everybody in my club had Edea's before (It felt like we were all sponsored by them, because the coach had a system of skates and put everybody in the exact same skates).
I absolutely hated them. They were loose around part of my foot, and I've never managed to have a pair last more than 3months (compared to the time I wore a pair of Graf skates for 2years for example). When I moved to the Ice Fly's from Edea I felt like they were good and strong and finally happy with Edea - for about 2weeks, before they went the same direction as my previous pairs of skates.

Edea work really well if your feet and jumps work well with them. But to see them as a one size fit's all type of skate (or to see any skate brand as perfect for everybody) doesn't work out.

axelanika

On the Ice
Country
United-States
There are many skaters that hate the things, I've worn every brand and Edea is not as great as they have been marketed. Also, if you don't get a good fit with them, as many have not---the heel lock doesn't matter b/c no matter what their heel won't lock.
My heel comes up when I point my toes but not when jumping. Is this an issue? I'm currently in Edea's so hearing this this makes me concerned.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My heel comes up when I point my toes but not when jumping. Is this an issue? I'm currently in Edea's so hearing this this makes me concerned.
I would definitely mention it to your fitter/tech and see what they think.