which boot will fit me? | Golden Skate

which boot will fit me?

playswithsquirrel

Spectator
Hi all,
I am new here. I am in search of a new boot, because after skating in my current skates (and getting a slight ankle injury), i finally realized my boots were too big! I dont think my local skate shop is a good idea because they are very hockey heavy, so I dont know if they will know much about figure skates.

I am an adult skater and my highest jump is just a single lutz, and will probably work on single axels soon.
I recently injured my ankle skating with Jackson Competitor 7.5B. I've always had trouble with those boots, making my feet really sore, but I always just thought it was not broken in yet.

I measured my foot and it is about 236-239cm (without-with socks), so after my coach saying Edea ice fly would be ok for me, I ordered a 240B... they were soo tight, that I returned them and got a 250C. They seem mostly good except for one spot on my left 3rd toe, which feel like there is a slight bend. I have the aboriginal foot type, if that matters (2-3rd toes slightly longer than 1st toe).

So I'm not sure if I should get the Ice Fly in 255C, or punch out that one spot that feels tight in my current 250Cs.
And after doing a bunch of research on here, I'm not even sure if I should get Ice Fly, since many are saying its way too "advance" for others that are my level.

Please advise me!
Thank you!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all,
I am new here. I am in search of a new boot, because after skating in my current skates (and getting a slight ankle injury), i finally realized my boots were too big! I dont think my local skate shop is a good idea because they are very hockey heavy, so I dont know if they will know much about figure skates.

I am an adult skater and my highest jump is just a single lutz, and will probably work on single axels soon.
I recently injured my ankle skating with Jackson Competitor 7.5B. I've always had trouble with those boots, making my feet really sore, but I always just thought it was not broken in yet.

I measured my foot and it is about 236-239cm (without-with socks), so after my coach saying Edea ice fly would be ok for me, I ordered a 240B... they were soo tight, that I returned them and got a 250C. They seem mostly good except for one spot on my left 3rd toe, which feel like there is a slight bend. I have the aboriginal foot type, if that matters (2-3rd toes slightly longer than 1st toe).

So I'm not sure if I should get the Ice Fly in 255C, or punch out that one spot that feels tight in my current 250Cs.
And after doing a bunch of research on here, I'm not even sure if I should get Ice Fly, since many are saying its way too "advance" for others that are my level.

Please advise me!
Thank you!
If you are on the lighter side as far as body weight, you could get away with an Edea Chorus boot. Pair it with MK Pro or JW Coronation ace and you should be good to go! If that does not work with you weight wise, you could go up to the Concerto. You could also consider Riedell, Graf or Risport boots instead of Edea. How are your arches: High, Low, regular? That would help me help you. I would also seek out a pro figure skating tech/fitter to do this properly for you, so you don't keep wasting money on boots that don't work. You need something that's going to support your ankles as well, I would suggest wearing a brace that slips over your foot to right above the ankle.

Reactions: TQB

playswithsquirrel

Spectator
I think my arches are probably regular.. I never had problems with standard shoes. I do think my feet is wider than average (90cm or 3.5 inches at the widest area).
I will look into the other styles of Edea, as well as research the other brands. Do you have specific models to recommend?

Thank you so much for getting back to me!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If your feet are wider, I would NOT go with Edea.

ETA: I can suggest models of other brands to you later when I have time to write it all up.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
@playswithsquirrel While The Oracle (Ic3Rabbit) is busy elsewhere, I'll just mention that I have wider feet (mainly at the front but right now they are swollen with arthritis medication side effects) and the boots I've liked best are Grafs and Risport. Graf do a wider fitting which is really good but I also find that Risport's "normal" C width is good. (Riedells don't suit me at all but that's nothing to do with the width, more the angle of the heel and ankle.)

Good luck with your search. The right boots are out there, it's just a matter of narrowing the field and tracking them down. A good pro fitter is your best bet.

marcopolobear

Rinkside
Country
Canada
So which would you recommend??
finding the right skates is so difficult.. I never knew!
Hi,

Did you ever heat mold your Jacksons? That makes a big difference in fit.

What size street shoe do you wear? Generally, skaters will skate in a boot that is about 1-1/2 to 2 sizes smaller than their street shoe size. It's just a general thing, but if you wear a size 7-1/2 street shoe, you are wearing a way too big skate.

An old adage for climbers and hikers was that you don't break in your boots, your boots break in your feet. It's kind of true in some ways for skating, as your feet will be using and building muscles a lot as you are learning. Kids won't notice so much because they are growing and have fast recovery, but adults who often work all day too, can really feel this. So some of you feet aches may be due to this.

If you don't have a good skate shop near you, the big online shops can be pretty good with their own fitting system. They really work to get it right because they don't want to have to be shipping skates back and forth. But of course it's much better if you can find a good local shop. Especially one with a large selection so you can try on different brands to find the one that fits your feel the best.

Custom Jacksons can be a good way to go though as they can be less expensive than other customs; and if they are leather ones, the heat molding can make them close fitting and comfortable quickly. Sometimes customs are nice for adults since we are not worried about out-growing them soon!

M.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Having just re-read the original post with the length measurements of your foot, @playswithsquirrel a even a 250 boot is too large in length. You are more like a 245. My feet measure 238 in length and I have more than enough space in a Risport 245. In your position, if getting to a good shop/fitter was impossible, then I'd be trying a Risport RF3 Pro in a 245C. You don't need Ice Fly and they are likely to cause more problems rather than help, especially with an ankle injury.

playswithsquirrel

Spectator
Hi,

Did you ever heat mold your Jacksons? That makes a big difference in fit.

What size street shoe do you wear? Generally, skaters will skate in a boot that is about 1-1/2 to 2 sizes smaller than their street shoe size. It's just a general thing, but if you wear a size 7-1/2 street shoe, you are wearing a way too big skate.

An old adage for climbers and hikers was that you don't break in your boots, your boots break in your feet. It's kind of true in some ways for skating, as your feet will be using and building muscles a lot as you are learning. Kids won't notice so much because they are growing and have fast recovery, but adults who often work all day too, can really feel this. So some of you feet aches may be due to this.

If you don't have a good skate shop near you, the big online shops can be pretty good with their own fitting system. They really work to get it right because they don't want to have to be shipping skates back and forth. But of course it's much better if you can find a good local shop. Especially one with a large selection so you can try on different brands to find the one that fits your feel the best.

Custom Jacksons can be a good way to go though as they can be less expensive than other customs; and if they are leather ones, the heat molding can make them close fitting and comfortable quickly. Sometimes customs are nice for adults since we are not worried about out-growing them soon!

M.
I normally wear 7.5-8 in street shoes.
I tried heat molding my Jackson skates in the local rink and they put them in the oven.. and just gave it back to me to do my own thing. I felt like it did not help at all, probably because it was not done properly.

I will look into custom Jacksons, I never really thought about going customs.. as it seems overly professional for just a beginner skater like myself... but perhaps it will be a good investment especially since I'm old and I've already gotten injured in my boots, and though it doesnt hurt, it was taken a lot longer to heal than expected!

Thanks for the suggestion and input!

Reactions: TQB

playswithsquirrel

Spectator
Having just re-read the original post with the length measurements of your foot, @playswithsquirrel a even a 250 boot is too large in length. You are more like a 245. My feet measure 238 in length and I have more than enough space in a Risport 245. In your position, if getting to a good shop/fitter was impossible, then I'd be trying a Risport RF3 Pro in a 245C. You don't need Ice Fly and they are likely to cause more problems rather than help, especially with an ankle injury.
That's what I thought, I measured my foot multiple times... so I was stumped as to why my boots are still not really fitting properly!
Sigh, it going to be hard to part with the ill-fitting ice fly boots! its so pretty and sooo light!

I asked my coach for a local shop recommendation.. I will see if they have all the models mentioned so far and try them on.

Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I normally wear 7.5-8 in street shoes.
I tried heat molding my Jackson skates in the local rink and they put them in the oven.. and just gave it back to me to do my own thing. I felt like it did not help at all, probably because it was not done properly.

I will look into custom Jacksons, I never really thought about going customs.. as it seems overly professional for just a beginner skater like myself... but perhaps it will be a good investment especially since I'm old and I've already gotten injured in my boots, and though it doesnt hurt, it was taken a lot longer to heal than expected!

Thanks for the suggestion and input!
You don't need to go full custom with all the bells and whistles like a pro. You can get semi-custom for what you need. But I still say try the Risport I recommended and @WednesdayMarch backed me up on.

berry

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Hi, I am curious if your Jackson Competitors were WAY too big you? I am wondering because my feet are also 240mm and I wear a 5.5B Jackson which fits me just right.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi, I am curious if your Jackson Competitors were WAY too big you? I am wondering because my feet are also 240mm and I wear a 5.5B Jackson which fits me just right.
Just because their foot could be the same number as yours doesn't mean it will fit exactly the same. Foot shape, arches and more come into play.

berry

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Just because their foot could be the same number as yours doesn't mean it will fit exactly the same. Foot shape, arches and more come into play.
Which I suppose comes back to the point of being fitted by a fitter rather then guessing :)

I do see now that the original poster mentioned the Jacksons were too big on them.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Which I suppose comes back to the point of being fitted by a fitter rather then guessing :)

I do see now that the original poster mentioned the Jacksons were too big on them.
Yes, which is why I always suggest seeing a professional fitter to get boots properly fitted for each individual.

Elija

On the Ice
That's what I thought, I measured my foot multiple times... so I was stumped as to why my boots are still not really fitting properly!
Sigh, it going to be hard to part with the ill-fitting ice fly boots! its so pretty and sooo light!

I asked my coach for a local shop recommendation.. I will see if they have all the models mentioned so far and try them on.

Thanks!
Must be that the shape is not right for your foot. 245 should definitely be the biggest you need. Also just measured my own foot after seeing your comment above about foot size (assume you mean 9cm not 90 lol) at the widest but. Mine is also just under that at the widest part and I wear 240b in edea and have a narrow foot (B being edea’s ‘narrow’ fit). It definitely doesn’t sound like your feet are wider than usual as you mentioned above. Hopefully you find a boot that is a better shape for your foot!