Which boots I should get? | Golden Skate

Which boots I should get?

lemonadegarlic

Spectator
Hello, I need your advice on deciding which boots I should get.

I'm an adult skater, currently working on single axel and double sal. My risport antares boots already need to be replaced and I'm planning to get another risport boots with more support. I'm thinking to buy either rf3 or royal pro, but there are pairs of royal exclusive that is on clearance sale and it's available on my boots' size. My concern is that royal exclusive is rated for triple and quad jumps. So I'm torn in between buying a pair of boots that is suitable for my current skating level but it's more expensive, or buying the cheaper one even though it means that I'm overbooting.

Ameliaskates

Rinkside
Assuming you have been properly fitted for risport, I would say that you 100% should get the boots that are for your level, even if they are more expensive that the more advanced ones. You're better paying more for a boot than medical bills for injuries that come from overbooting. However, I'm not an expert so someone like @Ic3Rabbit will correct me if I'm wrong and be able to offer better advice.

Ic3Rabbit

Patineuse élite et professionnelle
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hello, I need your advice on deciding which boots I should get.

I'm an adult skater, currently working on single axel and double sal. My risport antares boots already need to be replaced and I'm planning to get another risport boots with more support. I'm thinking to buy either rf3 or royal pro, but there are pairs of royal exclusive that is on clearance sale and it's available on my boots' size. My concern is that royal exclusive is rated for triple and quad jumps. So I'm torn in between buying a pair of boots that is suitable for my current skating level but it's more expensive, or buying the cheaper one even though it means that I'm overbooting.
DO NOT buy the Royal Exclusive. That is what I wore doing triple-triples in elite international competitions, you do not need anything that stiff probably ever. And you risk injury amongst other things.

Rf3 should be just fine for your level. That is, if you were properly fitted and Risport is the brand of boot that truly does work for you.

WednesdayMarch

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Yep. Please don't buy the Royal Exclusive. It would be a false economy. Always buy the appropriate level for your skating if you want to progress. Stiffer boots will - at best - impede your progress and you would also be risking injury.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also, please explain what happened. I thought you were an edea person and were wearing those 4 months ago. How are you going through so many boots at your skill level?!?!

We told you to move to an Edea Chorus (70 stiffness rating) based on your stats and that you were in an Overture (50-55 stiffness rating) and it was creasing.
Why on earth would you downgrade to a basic Risport boot (antares stiffness is 30 or 35) that shouldn't be doing the jumps you are and giving you the support you need?!? And I personally find it odd that your foot fits a Risport and an Edea. That usually does NOT happen.

Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
OP does not appear to be a native English speaker, and I would guess that her post from December mistakenly made it sound like she was skating in Edeas. I think she was only asking about Edeas but she's been skating in the Risport boots she references in this thread. ETA: Nevermind, I read the old post and she did indeed say she was skating in Overtures (she asked if she should get another pair of them or upgrade). I have no idea why she'd already have 2 pairs of boots so broken in in 2 years of skating.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
OP does not appear to be a native English speaker, and I would guess that her post from December mistakenly made it sound like she was skating in Edeas. I think she was only asking about Edeas but she's been skating in the Risport boots she references in this thread. ETA: Nevermind, I read the old post and she did indeed say she was skating in Overtures (she asked if she should get another pair of them or upgrade). I have no idea why she'd already have 2 pairs of boots so broken in in 2 years of skating.
Exactly my point. I don't ask questions if there isn't a real reasoning behind it.