Which program would you use to introduce someone to figure skating? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which program would you use to introduce someone to figure skating?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Actually, I agree with you and with the risk of sounding like a snobby millennium, I don't think introducing someone to skating through 80s/90s skaters from the 6.0 era is a great idea. It's not even just about the video quality, but even for a skating fan who has been around for a while, the old school style can be hard to get into, not because it's bad, but because it's somewhat different than the modern skating we are used to. For someone brand new to skating, it can give them the wrong idea about the current state of the sport, both athletically and artistically.

It's called "What program would you use?" What skater would be the ultimate to show. Sorry but for me and many others in this thread, that's Kurt Browning, Virtue/Moir and others. Some of Kurt's best skating's from the mid-late 90's. I know many that go to skating shows and came because of watching the recent Olympics, and they see someone like Kurt skate and go "WOW!" where has he been all my life?!? That they'd rather watch a skater like him compared to many of the recent ones.

I've seen it time and time again. It has nothing to do with the 6.0 era vs IJS.

catbythefirelight

Spectator
A few years back, I got some of my friends into figure skating with Evgenia Medvedeva's and Yuzuru Hanyu's programmes! Now, if I were to get a new friend into figure skating, I'd spam them with these programmes, probably in this order:
- Evgenia Medvedeva: Anna Karenina @ Olympics 2018 - so iconic, it needs to be on this list!!
- Evgenia Medvedeva: Memoirs of a Geisha @ Rostelecom Cup 2019
- Yuzuru Hanyu: Seimei @ Olympics 2018 - maybe not as perfect jump-wise as the version of Seimei from his 2015-16 season, but his sheer determination in this version is just !!!!!!!!!!!
- Yuzuru Hanyu: Chopin @ Olympics 2018
- Maia & Alex Shibutani: Paradise @ Olympics 2018
- Mao Asada: Sergei Rachmaninoff @ Olympics 2014

If the person was my relative, I'd probably recommend them Meryl Davis and Charlie White's Bollywood dance from the 2010 Olympics cause it's totally their thing!

Some exhibition programmes I'd show them too:
- Yuzuru Hanyu: Requiem of Heaven and Earth @ Worlds 2016 - this is the definition of beauty to me!
- Evgenia Medvedeva: Beautiful Mess @ Skate Canada 2018 and idontwannabeyouanymore @Rostelecom Cup 2019 - so great!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Actually, I agree with you and with the risk of sounding like a snobby millennium, I don't think introducing someone to skating through 80s/90s skaters from the 6.0 era is a great idea. It's not even just about the video quality, but even for a skating fan who has been around for a while, the old school style can be hard to get into, not because it's bad, but because it's somewhat different than the modern skating we are used to. For someone brand new to skating, it can give them the wrong idea about the current state of the sport, both athletically and artistically.

I'm anything but a millennium :laugh: when asked my age I borrow from Asimov and say (somewhat generously) I am in my 'late middle youth'. I love Kurt and quite a few of the 6.0 and early IJS skaters and programs, rather more than a lot of the current crop. And I have a very large folder on my external hard drive of fuzzy, tinny but beloved videos.

We all go on what our experiences are in wanting to encourage others to share what we love, taking into account that people these days have an almost unimaginable range of choices.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
It's called "What program would you use?" What skater would be the ultimate to show. Sorry but for me and many others in this thread, that's Kurt Browning, Virtue/Moir and others. Some of Kurt's best skating from from the mid-late 90's. I know many that go to skating shows and came because of watching the recent Olympics, and they see someone like Kurt skate and go "WOW!" where has he been all my life?!? That they'd rather watch a skater like him compared to many of the recent ones.

I've seen it time and time again. It has nothing to do with the 6.0 era vs IJS.

I actually agree with ya, I don't know why it is necessary to debate someone's personal opinion. If the question were "Which program would be the best to convince the current generation to watch skating?" it'd be a different thing.

FayD

spring will come 🌸
On the Ice
I'm anything but a millennium :laugh: when asked my age I borrow from Asimov and say (somewhat generously) I am in my 'late middle youth'. I love Kurt and quite a few of the 6.0 and early IJS skaters and programs, rather more than a lot of the current crop. And I have a very large folder on my external hard drive of fuzzy, tinny but beloved videos.

We all go on what our experiences are in wanting to encourage others to share what we love, taking into account that people these days have an almost unimaginable range of choices.

The millennium part was about myself :laugh: Anyway, I hope people don't take my comment as in "You aren't allowed to like old school skating!", I just meant I don't personally think it's the ideal introduction to someone who has never watched FS before, that's all. But I guess other posters are right, it's to each their own. It ultimately comes down to who are you trying to introduce, what music and styles do they like, etc.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Javier fernandez: any short program or free program after 2012.

Kevin aymoz horns.

Jason brown 4CCs 2020 SP.

Keegan messing 4CCs 2020 sp.

Alexei Yagudin Olympics Winter.

Brian joubert "rise" sp.

Florent amodio 2012/2013 clean sp.

Nathan Chen Nemesis (very popular song which helps).

Yuzuru hanyu 2014 Olympic sp.

Mikhail Kolyada russian test skates sp.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:agree:. I would pick skating no earlier than 7 years ago. And once someone is a fan, then advise on the greats before.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Another vote for Javier's Black Betty, because that was the program that made me not hate lyrics in singles. Prior to that I found lyrics an unwelcome intrusion, but Black Betty was the coolest thing I'd ever seen in skating up to that point.

Tarasova and Morozov's Lord of the Dance, I love that program and I think it would have appeal to the uninitated.

Plushy's Crazy Bird exhibition, because it's hilarious and at the same time the jumps are boss.

Tessa and Scott's Roxanne at the 2018 Olympics.

Sex Bomb for the absolute LOLs.

Liza T's 2017-2018 FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrsXcxE0bqs because its amazing, epic use of a cantilever.

PS. And of course Tribute to Nijinsky at the 2004 Russian Nats ;) my forever fave.

silveruskate

On the Ice
To pour more fuel to the fire, I kind of agree with the poster that spoke of video quality. Maybe I'm a shallow viewer, but even now, seeing the dull colours of a 1994 figure skating video switches me off and I can't focus on the performance properly. My introduction to figure skating was through the whole Queen Yuna 2014 narrative, and when I looked back at Yuna's programs I think the vibrancy of the colours in the 2010 Olympics SP I saw made it so much better and thrilling.

But I also get thinking a certain program is the absolute epitome and will be able to pull others in regardless of things like video quality!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Liza Tuktik, Empress airlines Gala

Thank you, LadyB! As soon as I saw the question, a particular Gala routine popped into my head. But, I didn't want to be the first person to suggest an Exhibition routine, so I was waiting for somebody else to do it! :biggrin:

You all know what my choice is. I need only say 2 words:

:love: *Red Dress* :love:

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - "Koop Island Blues" (2015 European Championships EX)

That said, I might be tempted to go with the following routine:

Adelina Sotnikova - "Welcome To Burlesque" (2012 Skate America EX)

Due to video purges, this is the only video I can find of her doing this routine where there are not people talking over the music. And unfortunately, Adelina happens to fall in this particular performance of the routine. So, maybe not a good choice to introduce somebody to figure skating.

If I was to use a competition programme, this would definitely be my first choice:

Rika Hongo - "Riverdance" (2015 Cup Of China FS)

But, I also have a soft spot this one:

Alena Leonova - "Pirates Of The Caribbean" (2012 World Championships SP)

The Zombie Dance of Zhiganshina & Gaszi
Two from the Grave": Tore My Heart performed by Oona; Et Maintenant by Jean-Marc Zelwer; Rama Lama by Roisin Murphy

That would definitely be my Ice Dance choice too! :agree:

2013 World Championships FD

:agree:. I would pick skating no earlier than 7 years ago. And once someone is a fan, then advise on the greats before.

Oops... :p :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

silveruskate

On the Ice
Thinking about Sotnikova I have to mention the 2014 Olympic SP! It isn't exactly the same since I saw the event while it was happening, but I remember thinking WOW this is even better than Yuna....and this is at a time when I had no idea what a Lutz even was or why it was harder or anything like correct technique. Her different spin variations compared to anyone else, the crowd clapping with her, big jumps and reckless freedom of expression and skating felt so good to watch.

I don't watch Ice Dance or Pairs, so really nice to see these programs being mentioned. :)

EDIT: But when Yuna did that 3Lz-3T even I could tell there was something extra impressive about it. The commentators were also quite helpful with hyping it up.

Fourleaf Clover

Rinkside
Country
Philippines
Speaking out of my own experience, Yuzuru Hanyu programs are the best hook, line and sinker to catch new figure skating fans. He has that "kpop idol" looks, the balanced programs of both tech and artistry, and his charisma is veeery hard to deny. But the problem is, the people I introduced to skating via Hanyu, tend to find his quality jumps and skating on every other skaters they watch (male or female). I also introduced them to Yagudin's Winter, but they gave me that irritating deadpan gaze, disparaging me for the video quality. Then I tried to reel them in with Nathan's Rocketman since I know that they are dancers.. I ended up getting into a heated argument because they thought that the choreography was NOT hiphop. This was figure skating, for pete's sake! Of course real hiphop moves won't translate that well into the ice! So yeah... That's my story.

noskates

Record Breaker
If you want pure skating - go back to the 6.0 period where baby ballerinas weren't throwing quads and triple axels and skating was more organic. A person new to the sport is not going to appreciate 4 revolutions or what might or might not go into making that jump. The people that know I'm a skating fan (and don't know the sport) always refer to how beautiful spirals and spins are and how skaters "feel" the music.

I think a lot of the programs listed in this thread are there because they're favorites of the poster........

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think a lot of the programs listed in this thread are there because they're favorites of the poster........

Well, when a person is trying to persuade someone else to like something they like, they'll rarely start by recommending something they don't themselves enjoy...

Speaking of which, I omitted something from my list: I'd also throw in Team Marigold Ice Unity's 'Transformers' free skate from 2018-19 on the off chance that Synchro might be to their taste too.

sworddance21

On the Ice
I think it depends on what their biases against figure skating are. In my circle of friends many see figure skating as a "sport" and they dislike sport. The majority of my circle of folks are theatre/contemporary dance/ballet folks. For them, I would choose either of Jason Brown's programs from 2020. I might also choose Patrick Chan. Jason is exceptional - as many of us have said - in his carriage and detail. If I wanted to get someone interested in current skating, that's the way I would go. Now, if someone were to feel the opposite - to not appreciate the athleticism of skating - and discount it as a sport - I might go more or Nathan Chen. (Mind you, I also like Natha's style) but it is difficult to deny the sheer athleticism of all the quads he does.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Another vote for Javier's Black Betty, because that was the program that made me not hate lyrics in singles. Prior to that I found lyrics an unwelcome intrusion, but Black Betty was the coolest thing I'd ever seen in skating up to that point.

Tarasova and Morozov's Lord of the Dance, I love that program and I think it would have appeal to the uninitated.

Plushy's Crazy Bird exhibition, because it's hilarious and at the same time the jumps are boss.

Tessa and Scott's Roxanne at the 2018 Olympics.

Sex Bomb for the absolute LOLs.

Liza T's 2017-2018 FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrsXcxE0bqs because its amazing, epic use of a cantilever.

PS. And of course Tribute to Nijinsky at the 2004 Russian Nats ;) my forever fave.

OMG Sex Bomb............YAS!!!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I think it depends on what their biases against figure skating are. In my circle of friends many see figure skating as a "sport" and they dislike sport. The majority of my circle of folks are theatre/contemporary dance/ballet folks. For them, I would choose either of Jason Brown's programs from 2020. I might also choose Patrick Chan. Jason is exceptional - as many of us have said - in his carriage and detail. If I wanted to get someone interested in current skating, that's the way I would go. Now, if someone were to feel the opposite - to not appreciate the athleticism of skating - and discount it as a sport - I might go more or Nathan Chen. (Mind you, I also like Natha's style) but it is difficult to deny the sheer athleticism of all the quads he does.

For your theatre, dance and ballet-loving friends, I’d go with Mikhail Kolyada’s FS yesterday—a breathtaking work of art.

https://youtu.be/sIcO0G6kPXk

And then there’s this fellow; always and forever, a brilliant artist on the ice.

https://youtu.be/FHjf25eDWJA