Which program would you use to introduce someone to figure skating? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Which program would you use to introduce someone to figure skating?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've introduced quite a lot of people recently to FS by showing 'La Terre vue du Ciel' by Savchenko/Massot, and all of those were flabbergasted by their triple twist which is huge. They also tended to love the programme as a whole because it was skated so beautifully to the music. In the past I've introduced people to FS with Philippe Candeloro's d'Artagnan programme (and they all loved his steps with the 'duel') as well as later on Alexei Yagudin's Winter (also loved because of the well known footwork). Ice Dancing is more difficult in that sense as people tend to ask 'where is the throwing around of the lady gone?', although Torvill and Dean remain a successful introduction to the discipline - despite the way ID has changed since then. More recently Papadakis/Cizerons' Fame also was quite a success as an introduction with people. Somehow or other I never introduce people to FS by way of the ladies. Probably because it's my least favourite discipline (even though there have been and are quite a few ladies I love to watch).

gkelly

Record Breaker
An acquaintance says they don't like to watch figure skating for one of the following reasons. You may not be able to turn them into a fan, but what one program would you choose to show that their preconceptions are not completely accurate?

I don't like figure skating because

*It's all artsy fartsy froofroo that may be difficult but not very athletic.
(Different examples for freeskating and ice dancing/synchro -- including something for fans of freeskating who don't like ice dance/synchro?)

*It's all acrobatics and contortions with no artistry.

*It's just the same jumps and spins over and over again. Where's the creativity?

*The men are all [insert homophobic slur here].

*The "ladies" are all barely pubescent girls -- there's no room for grown women in the sport any more.

*The women are just judged on how beautiful and feminine they are -- it's a pageant, not a sport.

*Too much boring classical music.

*Too many bad instrumental or cover versions but never some decent songs.

*Now that they're using vocal music it's all boring ballads.

*Pair skating is just about men throwing around little girls.

*Ice dancing is always about compulsory heterosexuality.

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Whilst Yuna Kim was technically perfect, I think it takes somebody who understands figure skating to appreciate her.

I feel from an outside perspective it isn't as exciting unless people understand the technical aspect and the sheer perfection of edgework and jumps.

Oh you're quite right. The reason why I suggested Yuna's program was that she was just so nice to watch. Her elegance and artistry was mesmerizing to me. If I wanted to show something a little more classical, Yuna is my pick. :laugh: But of course there are other skaters out there who are as good (or better) but I probably haven't watched them yet. So if you guys have suggestions for me let me know. I'm still pretty new to this sport. :)

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Kurt Browning "That's Entertainment" The master at his best, what skating really is and should be shown more often. Not a jumpfest, but instead incorporation of all.

Jeremy Abbott Swing SP 2012 Nationals

Jeremy Abbott "How Will I Know?" (Pure skating at it's best and edge control!)

V/M: Prince SD

V/M: Moulin Rouge FD Olympics 2018

V/M: Hip Hip Chin Chin FD 2011 Worlds

Nathan Chen: Nemesis SP

Hubbell/Donohue 2018 Nationals FD (Caught out in the Rain)

Patrick Chan 2011 Worlds SP

Michelle Kwan 96 Worlds "Salome" LP, 98 Dante's Prayer Exhibition

Adam Rippon 2018 OLY LP

Paul Wylie: JFK

Ryan Bradley: 2011 Nationals SP (Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy) , 2007 Nationals Latin LP, and any of his show programs.

Robin Cousins, Torvill/Dean: Basically anything they've done.

ETA: Jason Brown 2017 Worlds SP "Writings on the Wall"

Alexander Johnson 2016 LP Nationals "Eleanor Rigby"

THANK YOU for introducing me to Kurt Browning's skating - that was amazing!!!! So much fun!!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A few suggestions For @gkelly's list of questions

*It's all artsy fartsy froofroo that may be difficult but not very athletic.
(Different examples for freeskating and ice dancing/synchro -- including something for fans of freeskating who don't like ice dance/synchro?)

Nathan's Olympic FS

Ice dance - Meryl & Charlie's Olympic Fd to Scherazade. That first lift is jaw droppingly athletic

*It's all acrobatics and contortions with no artistry.

Jason 4cc or US Nationals Schindler' s List

*It's just the same jumps and spins over and over again. Where's the creativity?
;) in ice dance
Chock & Bates Snake Dance

*The men are all [insert homophobic slur here].

Javi Guys & Dolls

*The "ladies" are all barely pubescent girls -- there's no room for grown women in the sport any more.

Pick any Elizaveta Tuktamysheva program where she lands a triple axel or quad
2019 Cup of China FS

*The women are just judged on how beautiful and feminine they are -- it's a pageant, not a sport.
Maria Bell 2020 US Nationals FS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRTy4mcJjaw

*Too much boring classical music.

*Too many bad instrumental or cover versions but never some decent songs.

*Now that they're using vocal music it's all boring ballads.

Javi Black Betty

Zhigansin & Gaszi Zombie Dance

*Pair skating is just about men throwing around little girls.

Sui & Han are both small
Olympic Sp Hallelujah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzEEVkZUbS8

James & Cipres
Wicked Game FS
Skate Canada 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e45n25llUw

*Ice dancing is always about compulsory heterosexuality

Duchesnays' s Reflections
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zxqaszjDTI

Bestemianova & Bukin Rasputin
https://youtu.be/2nzAbJXeG0k

Skatesocs

Final Flight
An acquaintance says they don't like to watch figure skating for one of the following reasons. You may not be able to turn them into a fan, but what one program would you choose to show that their preconceptions are not completely accurate?
I would question how they were able to pose these questions if they don't already watch.

cl2

Final Flight
Not a program. But while working with my PT to rehabilitate an injury and "get back to skating," he initially thought that skating was just all about jumping. So he just focused on jumping. Until I showed him some videos of myself doing some fundamental skating skills---stroking, edgework, turns---along with explaining exactly where my injury was limiting my execution of those skills. That's when he finally understood what skating is truly about. Core strength, stability and coordination.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha Cohen 2002 Olympics Short program.

I just watched the Senior Ladies ISP Points Challenge and someone skated to the same music. It reminded me of Sasha’s beautiful performance.
I loved that performance. Welcome to Golden Skate, post often.