Who do you send as the second U.S. ladies’ skater to Worlds? | Golden Skate

Who do you send as the second U.S. ladies’ skater to Worlds?

kirauza343

On the Ice
It’s so hard between Amber and Karen! Karen has the benefit of much better PCS internationally and being a bit more reliable but Amber’s much less likely to get dinged for underrotations and her triple axel means she has the potential to put up a good short program score. Either one would deserve it but I think I’d give the edge to Amber slightly.

Of course my bet is they’ll just send Mariah anyway on the basis of her past record...I really hope that’s not the case but it wouldn’t surprise me

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I love love love Amber, but I think they'll decide that Karen is the better bet for Worlds, and hope they'll place high enough for 3 slots at the Olympics and send Amber then as the third.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m advocating for a fresh face, especially since we know that Bell isn’t going to make a massive jump at this point.

And it sends a fantastic message to the hungry youngsters that if you work hard, and get results, you will be rewarded.

What message does “we let the veterans cling to their spots no matter what” sends?

You won’t run through walls for the fed if you know that your upward mobility is zero until someone gets hurt or retires.

Will there potentially be growing pains? Certainly. But if the old method isn’t working, why not try something new.

Where does Bell currently rank in the world overall? And the gap is growing, not shrinking.

You may catch lightning in a bottle and outperform with a hungry first timer.

Also, as I said earlier, the US needs to take some of the cutthroat approach of their rival countries.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Amber - she's inconsistent yes, but she has worked to try and upgrade her tech with adding the triple axel in the SP here (not a 100% here but she went for it) and she was the second highest place finisher at Nationals. Neither of the 2 skaters that would replace her have any better shot at getting on the podium - why devalue your nationals competition by not sending your silver medalist in lieu of the 3rd or 5th place skater who don't have the technical skills to compete with the top 5 skaters in the world, they did it with the men before and I thought it was a bad move then as well.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amber - she's inconsistent yes, but she has worked to try and upgrade her tech with adding the triple axel in the SP here (not a 100% here but she went for it) and she was the second highest place finisher at Nationals. Neither of the 2 skaters that would replace her have any better shot at getting on the podium - why devalue your nationals competition by not sending your silver medalist in lieu of the 3rd or 5th place skater who don't have the technical skills to compete with the top 5 skaters in the world, they did it with the men before and I thought it was a bad move then as well.
With you.

You want to run a sport that rewards form and excellence and results or do you want to run a sport based on politics and rewarding mediocrity?

Those that take the latter approach are left behind.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
If Mariah isn't even going to be attempting a 3-3 in her free skate then they shouldn't even think of sending her at all. Where exactly do they expect her to place against the Russians, Japanese and even the Koreans with no 3-3? Three spots for Beijing would pretty much be D.O.A. so just take a gamble and send Amber who at least tries. And on top of that she's been not good all year long so its not like this weeks performances were a fluke or anything

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I would send Chen over Glenn. Glenn didn’t win over Chen by a significant margin; the margin of victory was less than a point. USFed would want to gain three spots for the Olympics. This is unlikely to happen regardless of who they send, but the best shot is Tennell and Chen. The most realistic combination is 5 + 8. Glenn is not a top 10 Worlds skater. She’s just not, but Chen can squeeze in there. She’s also more well known to international judges.

But choosing Glenn won’t be so bad, either. (Maybe she’ll land the 3A in the SP.) Like I said, the US ladies are unlikely to get that third spot anyway. But they absolutely should not choose Bell. She hasn’t earned it and her “body of work” isn’t stellar anyway.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Karen may have slight edge over Amber in their body of work over the past two seasons.

2021 Nationals
2Amber Glenn570.832144.5215.33
3Karen Chen470.993143.99214.98
2020 Skate America
4Karen CHEN468.132136.77204.9
5Amber GLENN567.856122.24190.09
2020 4CC
7Karen CHEN867.286133.78201.06
9Amber GLENN965.399125.44190.83
2020 Nationals
4Karen Chen570.414123.24193.65
5Amber Glenn473.169113.42186.58
2019 Skate America
7Amber Glenn764.719104.92169.63
8Karen Chen666.031099.64165.67

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
As tough a decision as that is, I send Karen. She has the experience, but it's a very tough decision.

Amber:
- 2nd at Nationals
- 5th at Skate America
- 3rd at ISP Points Challenge
- 1 ISU Championship Appearance (9th at 2020 4CC)

Karen:
- 3rd at Nationals
- 4th at Skate America
- 5th at ISP Points Challenge
- 4 ISU Championship Appearances (Best Result: 4th at 2017 Worlds)
- Olympian

It's really close between them, though, so I'd be happy either way.

If we're including Mariah in the mix (and I wouldn't, but USFSA probably will):
- 5th at Nationals
- 1st at Skate America
- 1st at ISP Points Challenge
- 6 ISU Championship Appearances (5th at the 2018 4CC)

She has a case, too, but looking at the best scores of the season among the three:

Amber Glenn - 215.53 (US Nationals)
Karen Chen - 214.98 (US Nationals)
Mariah Bell - 212.73 (Skate America)

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would send Chen over Glenn. Glenn didn’t win over Chen by a significant margin; the margin of victory was less than a point. USFed would want to gain three spots for the Olympics. This is unlikely to happen regardless of who they send, but the best shot is Tennell and Chen. The most realistic combination is 5 + 8. Glenn is not a top 10 Worlds skater. She’s just not, but Chen can squeeze in there. She’s also more well known to international judges.

But choosing Glenn won’t be so bad, either. (Maybe she’ll land the 3A in the SP.) Like I said, the US ladies are unlikely to get that third spot anyway. But they absolutely should not choose Bell. She hasn’t earned it and her “body of work” isn’t stellar anyway.
I like this reasoning very much. You still send a fresh face, you still send a current National medalist, and you make the gold medal the only “automatic“ spot.

Plus it has the incentive for the medalist that wasn’t chosen to improve even more and not rest on her laurels.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are the Bell advocates currently in bed? If so, the deluge might arrive in a few hours. Haha

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
“Of course I would love to be on the World team,” said Glenn, echoing Tennell on Worlds. “It would be an honor to be able to make it onto the team. If Worlds happens, US Figure Skating should go with a team that they know will go and get those three spots back. Whether that includes me or not, I’m all for it either way. I’ll be happy with whatever decision they make because I know they will make the right one. Whoever goes, I will be cheering for her to get those slots.”

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get that you have to say the right things and provide the politically correct soundbites given the hot potato that was thrust on your lap, but a part of me wishes she would have said “I earned this spot and deserve it, so do the right thing USFG or else the taint of corruption and favortism will follow you for a long time.”

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The skater who brings it at the comp that matters most should go to the next comp, in my opinion.

Because landing jumps, centering spins, great bladework, and interesting choreo, transitions and and all that put together in a program, during a comp is way more important than a risky BV or practicing a gazillion quint axels.:)

so in this instance, i would probably go with Amber and Bradie.

That said,
the *last thing* these highly trained highly motivated and hard working athletes need is to be “sent a message”. I know that from some of the crazy things I‘ve seen written (ETA not necessarily on GS just in general over the years)about my own fav, as though he were skating around the rink singing tra la la and not knowing what wins comps.

if hard work and knowledge of competition were the end-all and be-all, there’d be a 50 way tie for the gold medal😂

readernick

Medalist
I would send Amber. Yes, Karen is a bit more consistent. However, she doesn't do a great job rotating her jumps which means her top score internationally is likely to be around 200 points. Amber is about 10 points lower in terms of current top international scores, but when she lands her jumps the rotation is much better. Last 4CC, Karen got 3UR calls. That is likely to happen at every competition she skates in.. Amber got none and Amber is skating better this year . Also, there is a chance that Amber will land the 3A. Amber landing a 3A and skating two clean programs ( unlikely but not impossible) , plus clean skates from Bradie ( very likely) is the only way the US ladies might get 3 spots. With Karen, the US would definitely be settling for 2 spots. ( Unless everyone else implodes.. as happened at 2017 World's)