Who is going to qualify for the GPF? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Who is going to qualify for the GPF?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Or, Pogo could bomb a la Pogo at NHK last year ... 9th. :laugh: Not likely, and I don't wish it on her; she and Julia are my favorite Russian ladies.

I just saw from Wiki that Pogo won CoC back in 2013. Incidentally, Aliona and Robin also won the event that year, while Bruno and Daria came dead last. :eek: what a difference 3 years and a partner make.

Everyone was majorly pi...upset as Newbie random Russia girl Pogo beat both faves Sotnikova and Kostner at that event. Overall it had been a bomb fest, a very lacklustre event but still...Anna certainly impressed me and I've been cheering her on since. My bets on her for NHK. If she's clean, I think no one can beat her expect Med, and she's not there. And I don't think we're going to see her bomb like that again. Which makes it interesting. I want GPF to be nationally diverse but it seems like another russian sweep is possible.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everyone was majorly pi...upset as Newbie random Russia girl Pogo beat both faves Sotnikova and Kostner at that event. Overall it had been a bomb fest, a very lacklustre event but still...Anna certainly impressed me and I've been cheering her on since. My bets on her for NHK. If she's clean, I think no one can beat her expect Med, and she's not there. And I don't think we're going to see her bomb like that again. Which makes it interesting. I want GPF to be nationally diverse but it seems like another russian sweep is possible.

Interesting. I wasn't following ladies or GP events much at that time. I personally think she turned a big confidence corner at Worlds. And I really don't think she'll bomb at NHK. I was just facetiously pointing out that Anna didn't have to bomb like Ashley. She could bomb like last year's Anna.

Rissa

Record Breaker
^^^

I will forever be scared of making bold predictions about Pogo, I wouldn't want to jinx her knowing how badly she can do.

But the fact remains that Ashley was predicted to win CoC after her fine outing at SA, be second at worst. She didn't even bomb but she plummeted down the ranks. I don't think Anna would bomb but at CoR she was skating on home ice which gives skaters wings. Those wings will be Satoko's now, and consistency is hardly Anna's middle name so the repetition of CoR is doubtful.

I'm predicting First Satoko and Second Anna.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Rostelecom didn't even really feel like Homeice for Anna, at least as far as I saw it watching from home. People cheered for Lenok and of course their darling, Julia much more. Anna is used to the feeling of not being the favourite, remains underdog. Of course it depends on her form. But if the tech panel is strict here, she can even allow herself a not so perfect skate against Satoko. Wakaba, who knows. She could win if perfect. The trend is to punish UR, look at Ashley. And Anna's jumps are never under scrutiny like Satoko's. Anything can happen. But I love an exciting competition!

curious

Final Flight
I don't think anna can do worse than second at nhk. The other Russian girl also has a good shot at the podium. we'll see,but the Russians can have four skaters at the gp finals amazing.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I don't think anna can do worse than second at nhk. The other Russian girl also has a good shot at the podium. we'll see,but the Russians can have four skaters at the gp finals amazing.

Ice has been so slippery this GP season that anything is possible, though

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight
Everyone think about that for Ashley and looked where she is now? She finished CoC in 6th place giving away the GPF :(

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Everyone is all about reputation judging and propping skaters up. Is it not possible to let past competitions, be the, well, past? Should Anna always be punished for that competition? Should she always be held back? Even if she makes mistakes, that's only human! Give her a chance, people. Every event is a new start. I feel for her that whenever something comes up it's about the long gone splatfests, and especially that competition where I believe she even hurt herself. Even when you search for her name on Youtube that comes up. I guess, whatever she does, it will never leave her. Too bad.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think Rostelecom was a good start. It is the first time I have seen her step up in a competition where she was clearly expected to win. (Though I'm not 100% certain she felt that way with Elena there). Anyway, Anna really struggled with that throughout the last two seasons. She always seemed to skate strong when the win appeared out of reach, but not so hot when she was expected to win. I believe the medal at Worlds may have really helped her confidence. But Finlandia this season keeps me wary. I love the beginning of Anna's LP. She has the ability to shine and stand out with this program.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Everyone is all about reputation judging and propping skaters up. Is it not possible to let past competitions, be the, well, past? Should Anna always be punished for that competition? Should she always be held back? Even if she makes mistakes, that's only human! Give her a chance, people. Every event is a new start. I feel for her that whenever something comes up it's about the long gone splatfests, and especially that competition where I believe she even hurt herself. Even when you search for her name on Youtube that comes up. I guess, whatever she does, it will never leave her. Too bad.

What the heck are you talking about? Who's punishing Anna? I don't know if we've been reading the same forums but people here seem to love Anna and root for Anna. People are just catious about immediately predicting her win because her past record indicates that she isn't a consistent skater. I will be the first to jump with joy if she wins NHK, she's certainly capable of that, but she's certainly capable of doing badly - and Ashley's example shows that a skater who did excelletly at one event can do badly the very next event. Nobody. Is. Punishing Anna. We. Just. Don't. Know. How. She. Will. Do.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I may change my prediction on ladies until the deadline, but I've placed Anna in 3rd because of her unfortunate bombing at NHK last season. I wished she was not assigned to GP events in Asia because jet leg and long travelling play a big role in skaters' performance on occasions.

moriel

Record Breaker
What the heck are you talking about? Who's punishing Anna? I don't know if we've been reading the same forums but people here seem to love Anna and root for Anna. People are just catious about immediately predicting her win because her past record indicates that she isn't a consistent skater. I will be the first to jump with joy if she wins NHK, she's certainly capable of that, but she's certainly capable of doing badly - and Ashley's example shows that a skater who did excelletly at one event can do badly the very next event. Nobody. Is. Punishing Anna. We. Just. Don't. Know. How. She. Will. Do.

But, if you google Anna Pogorilaya... google suggests Anna Pogorilaya falls ;)
Punish may not be the right word, but many people seem to kinda underestimate her.

eta

Medalist
I may change my prediction on ladies until the deadline, but I've placed Anna in 3rd because of her unfortunate bombing at NHK last season. I wished she was not assigned to GP events in Asia because jet leg and long travelling play a big role in skaters' performance on occasions.

But Russia is somewhat close in time zone to Japan? Much better than North America to Japan. Or does she not train domestically?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
But Russia is somewhat close in time zone to Japan? Much better than North America to Japan. Or does she not train domestically?

She has trained in Russia except getting choreography from Morozov and Misha Ge. My concern about Anna is largely due to her disastrous showings last year especially at NHK while she placed in 4th at Cup of China last year. More further back, she bombed at Worlds in Shanghai, China and then placed in 13th. However she did good at Cup of China three years ago by winning the title there. On the other hand, she won Skate Canada two years ago, so I personally wished her to be assigned to either Skate Canada or France. Perhaps her growth spurts weren't entirely done although she looked very mature even when she debuted as a senior.

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist
If the competition were to end now, the singles finals would be:
-Hanyu, Fernandez, Chan, Uno, Rippon, Chen
-Medvedeva, Osmond, Radionova, Pogorilaya, Miyahara, Sotskova
But the ice is slippery, so I'm confident these will not be the final fields.