Will Mirai Nagasu return to competition? | Golden Skate

Will Mirai Nagasu return to competition?

Todd

Spectator
Mirai was amazing at the Aurora Games two Triple Flips and a Lutz and Loop. She is coming back for sure next season in my opinion. When she gets her triple axle back she can compete with the best still. Do you guys agree.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_VvIerKKUv8

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wish her well. She needs the triple axel and some time to get her full rotations. Her performance quality has been upped. But with Liu leading and unless there are three spots Mirai will probably get nudged by Bradie, Karen or Mariah or another up and comer. She needs to do it for Mirai. It seems like her few minutes of fame are gone and she will have to start all over.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
About performance improvement: Mirai has always shown great performance quality at exhibitions. Aurora and the Japanese Open are essentially exhibition events, even though they generate scores. OTOH, post 2010, Mirai hasn't displayed much connection with her music at ISU competition events.

I have my doubts about her triple axel---all those years of practice no doubt contributed to the hip injury that ultimately required surgery. Why would she want to jeopardize her future show earnings by re-injuring herself?

About performance improvement: Mirai has always shown great performance quality at exhibitions. Aurora and the Japanese Open are essentially exhibition events, even though they generate scores. OTOH, post 2010, Mirai hasn't displayed much connection with her music at ISU competition events.

I have my doubts about her triple axel---all those years of practice no doubt contributed to the hip injury that ultimately required surgery. Why would she want to jeopardize her future show earnings by re-injuring herself?

I think she just likes to skate. Without the pressure of expectations, I think she can enhance her career and have fun at the same time by aiming for U.S. Nationals but not worry about Grand Prix events and the like. She doesn't need a triple Axel, or even a triple-triple, to place well if she skates with abandon like she did at the Aurora Games.

Let Alysa, Bradie and Mariah have all the headaches -- just be our Mirai!

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish her well. She needs the triple axel and some time to get her full rotations. Her performance quality has been upped. But with Liu leading and unless there are three spots Mirai will probably get nudged by Bradie, Karen or Mariah or another up and comer. She needs to do it for Mirai. It seems like her few minutes of fame are gone and she will have to start all over.

Mirai is, or was, competitive with all 3 of the skaters you mention. She could come in third, assuming Alysa wins, and make the World team. She doesn’t need a triple axel to beat Karen or Mariah. Bradie, maybe, but Bradie makes mistakes, too.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
If she wants to return, then I am all for it. If Gracie is coming back for the fun of skating, then why not? The more, the merrier. :]

Ziotic

Medalist
Mirai is, or was, competitive with all 3 of the skaters you mention. She could come in third, assuming Alysa wins, and make the World team. She doesn’t need a triple axel to beat Karen or Mariah. Bradie, maybe, but Bradie makes mistakes, too.

US only has two world spots.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Disagree on Mariah and Bradie.

I mean it's great Mirai wants to compete again, hope for the best for her, but remember what kind of skater she was before the retirement (and i'm not necessarily expecting even that level now after a year off the ice) and compare it to the others.

Mariah and Bradie skate their programs with speed, transitions, flow, a little more rotated jumps, Mirai was lacking all of that.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Disagree on Mariah and Bradie.

I mean it's great Mirai wants to compete again, hope for the best for her, but remember what kind of skater she was before the retirement (and i'm not necessarily expecting even that level now after a year off the ice) and compare it to the others.

Mariah and Bradie skate their programs with speed, transitions, flow, a little more rotated jumps, Mirai was lacking all of that.

The judges seem to really like Bradie(I think Mirai should have won in 2018), but Mariah is extremely beatable. She is very inconsistent
and has rarely skated clean. If Mirai gets back a consistent triple triple (and rotates it), she can beat Mariah.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The judges seem to really like Bradie(I think Mirai should have won in 2018), but Mariah is extremely beatable. She is very inconsistent
and has rarely skated clean. If Mirai gets back a consistent triple triple (and rotates it), she can beat Mariah.

She might beat Mariah but if Ting ever puts it together she will be a threat to beat not only Mirah but Bradie and push Mirai down a spot.

slider11

Medalist
I think Mirai is having fun staying "relevant" but not necessarily hell-bent on staying competitive. Maybe the more relaxed approach will let her be a bit more expressive in her skating and have her find a niche with shows. I wish her well!

composer

On the Ice
I’m glad that Mirai is skating - and has gained her jumps back even after the major surgery she had. I hope she finds new freedom in skating for the sake of skating whether in competitions or shows.

tryingfish

Rinkside
I think she is unlikely to return. She hit her peak twice in 2010 and 2018. She does not have the PCS to be competitive, and with many Russians coming out with quads and triple axels, her triple axel isn't even a big deal anymore. I wish her best in her future, possibly in shows and coaching.

mrrice

Record Breaker
She might beat Mariah but if Ting ever puts it together she will be a threat to beat not only Mirah but Bradie and push Mirai down a spot.

I really need to see how Mariah is looking this season before I make a decision. Alysa is still too young to go to worlds which moves Mirai up a spot. Due to her speed and more difficult jumping passes, I don't see her catching Bradie. I do think she could fight the Pewter/4th.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai would do best to remain a show skater. She's shown her best performance abilities in exhibition programs, but that doesn't carry over to her competition programs, where she is totally focused on technical execution. That is why her PCS isn't competitive with the top ladies domestically and internationally.

macy

Record Breaker
Mirai would do best to remain a show skater. She's shown her best performance abilities in exhibition programs, but that doesn't carry over to her competition programs, where she is totally focused on technical execution. That is why her PCS isn't competitive with the top ladies domestically and internationally.

if she returns, she won't be focused on being competitive. when skaters return this late in their career they do if for themselves and the pure enjoyment of the sport. i very highly doubt her goal would be to make another world or Olympic team.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Mirai isn't necessarily a clean skater either, considering her URs. When it comes to presentation (PCS), Mariah has it all over Mirai.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

She only needs a 3A to win. She can still hang with Mariah. I'm not sure why Chen is a factor in this since she has struggled with URs worse than Mirai has and hasn't shown a ton of improvement on that end. Mariah is also inconsistent. And one thing Mirai has is drive. If she wants to come back she will put her all into it.

The "few" minutes of fame were more than a lot of figure skaters or even Olympic athletes in general get. She had loads of opportunities because of landing the first clean 8 triple program at the Olympics with a 3A and the first American woman doing the 3A at the Olympics. And she had so many doubters going into that, that it would be a bit foolhardy to underestimate her.

Regardless, kudos to her for continuing to skate well and doing what she loves and feels is right for her despite what others might have to say about her quitting while she's ahead. It's not like the American women are lighting it up and Liu has some time before seniors, so why not go for it.