World prediction for men: Chen or Hanyu? | Golden Skate

World prediction for men: Chen or Hanyu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

osmolivia626

Spectator
I've seen lots of discussions on the ladies, but I've also been wondering about the men. It's pretty much certain that either Nathan Chen or Yuzuru Hanyu will win, but which one has the edge over the other?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not touching this one with a 10 foot pole....
:rofl:I feel like I haven't seen Hanyu in forever. At this point, I have to go with Nathan. Not sure who can push him other than Hanyu. Maybe Kolyada or a squeaky clean Vincent.

Reactions: DSQ

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Top 2, barring anything weird happening and it's men's so who knows, will be Nathan and Yuzuru in some order, especially considering how they both performed at their respective Nationals.

However, the bronze... there are so many men who could factor into that. It should be a great competition.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I've seen lots of discussions on the ladies, but I've also been wondering about the men. It's pretty much certain that either Nathan Chen or Yuzuru Hanyu will win, but which one has the edge over the other?

I'm not going to get into who I think will win, because I have no idea, but here's some pros and cons to help you figure out who you think has the edge.

Nathan Pros
Super long winning streak
Likely higher BV
Going in as champion
Has skated in two physical competitions, one virtual, and one pseudo comp this year
Landed quad loop at the Las Vegas Invitational aka the pseudo comp

Nathan Cons
Sloppy jumps and spins at recent competitions
New FS that, in my opinion, isn't as strong
Seems to be a little off ever since the pandemic - lost crucial development time with stamina and perfecting skills

Yuzuru Pros
Great FS at Nationals
More experience/stamina
Basically injury-free
Seems renewed after break from skating/revisiting why he skates
Will have PCS advantage
Two new programs
Will probably try 4A

Yuzuru Cons
Has had injury in the past and is older :(
Has two new programs
Has only skated in one competition this year
Will probably try 4A
Hasn't met coaches in a long time
Rink was shut down after recent Fukushima earthquake, don't know what he did after that or if it's reopened yet

Assuming Yuzuru does 4 quads in the free and Nathan does 5, the PCS and GOE advantage for Yuzuru should somewhat balance out the BV difference. Really it will come down to who is clean and who earns higher GOE. If both skaters are clean, little things like spin and step sequence levels and transitions will be crucial. But we haven't seen a 100% healthy Yuzuru vs. Nathan, so this should be entertaining.

And don't even get me started on the bronze medal...how am I ever going to choose for my prediction????

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is Hanyu confirmed for competing at Worlds? He was fantastic at Nationals. But, for some strange reason, I thought he was skipping Worlds this year.

Country
Norway
Well, actually my predictions is that there at least will be one or more WD because of the virus. If it involves top skaters either not going because they feel unsafe, they are quarantined or they have a positive test before or during Worlds, there can suddenly be some surprise on the podium or top 10.

If everything goes as planned and there are no WD, i´m predicting Nathan for gold, Yuzu for silver and Brown for the bronze.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I almost wish - let Hanyu and Chen duke it out against each other in a separate competition, and award the top 3 from the rest of the pack in another category, as these two seem to belong to a different species 🤪

Country
Norway
What makes you say this? Has he ever even landed it in practice? He hasn't seen his coaches in a year, and wasn't even doing any lutzes or flips at nationals.
Yes, that´s not likely at all. Why on earth would he risk a Worlds gold for the most difficult jump ever, which he or nobody else have landed clean. A lot of points at stake and not at least very risky business health wise.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
What makes you say this? Has he ever even landed it in practice? He hasn't seen his coaches in a year, and wasn't even doing any lutzes or flips at nationals.
Yes, that´s not likely at all. Why on earth would he risk a Worlds gold for the most difficult jump ever, which he or nobody else have landed clean. A lot of points at stake and not at least very risky business health wise.
Yuzuru said at Japanese Nationals interview this year that his goal currently is to try and land a clean 4A in competition. He implied that he's prioritizing that over the Olympics, i.e. if he can go to the Olympics, great, but because there's so much uncertainty surrounding them that he'd rather work on the 4A. He hasn't landed it cleanly in practice once, but he also hit a very low point over the summer/fall where he couldn't even jump a 3A, so that's likely a contributor to his lack of success. If I had to guess, he will pull a Torino 2019 and attempt it in practice, and if it works out for him, will go for it in competition. There's almost certainly going to be a 4A attempt somewhere at Worlds, hence the "probably will try it", but I don't see him going for it in actual competition unless a miracle happens over these next few weeks.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just want to see them both clean at the same comp, which has never happened.

But my money would be on Chen. He's incredibly consistent right now, and Hanyu is...not.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Hasn't Keegan been trying for a 4A - great if he can land it in competition and put the cat amongst the pigeons (to use an overused British Eurosport "uncle" commentator phrase...)

Status
Not open for further replies.