Would it be ok to get pianos? | Golden Skate

Would it be ok to get pianos?

Leonora

Spectator
So I'm 18, 54kg and I've been skating for 3 years now, including the covid period when I couldnt skate at all. I currently skate in Edea chorus which have now broken down and i found out were actually a size too big.
Anyways, I'm currently working on axel and some doubles. My axel is not consistent and i don't always land it, but yeah that's my approximate level.
Ive been thinking of getting a boot above chorus just because of how quickly they break down and the Edea pianos really caught my eye. I know they're rated for triples and quads but when I tried them on they felt very compressing and like they held my feet well, the heel lock was also better compared to my chorus. My only concern is if id be doing my skating progress a disservice by getting them and whether Id be putting myself at risk of injury because of a too high boot. I tried on ice fly and concerto too, but neither of the two felt like they held my foot equally well.
I liked the way the piano felt when just trying it on, but I have no idea how it'd feel when the blades mounted, or on the ice, or wearing it for long periods for that matter. The owner of the skate shop I went to said that it was not possible to overboot in Edea but I'm a little hesitant just because i don't want to hamper my progress or damage my body by picking the wrong boot.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So I'm 18, 54kg and I've been skating for 3 years now, including the covid period when I couldnt skate at all. I currently skate in Edea chorus which have now broken down and i found out were actually a size too big.
Anyways, I'm currently working on axel and some doubles. My axel is not consistent and i don't always land it, but yeah that's my approximate level.
Ive been thinking of getting a boot above chorus just because of how quickly they break down and the Edea pianos really caught my eye. I know they're rated for triples and quads but when I tried them on they felt very compressing and like they held my feet well, the heel lock was also better compared to my chorus. My only concern is if id be doing my skating progress a disservice by getting them and whether Id be putting myself at risk of injury because of a too high boot. I tried on ice fly and concerto too, but neither of the two felt like they held my foot equally well.
I liked the way the piano felt when just trying it on, but I have no idea how it'd feel when the blades mounted, or on the ice, or wearing it for long periods for that matter. The owner of the skate shop I went to said that it was not possible to overboot in Edea but I'm a little hesitant just because i don't want to hamper my progress or damage my body by picking the wrong boot.
Hi and welcome! Yes, you're over booting. Edea wants everyone (techs etc) to tell you that you can't over boot in them when indeed you can. You have no need or reason for a boot rated as high as a Piano. They're going to feel "compressing" b/c they are the stiffest due to being rated for elite level skaters who are doing triples, triple triples and quads, and also, you were in a size too large of a boot to begin with when it came to your chorus. And FWIW, edea prides itself on not fitting more "compressing" or as snug as traditional brands of boots. So if you like that feeling, depending on your foot, you could try another brand. But Concerto is the way to go if you want to remain in Edea.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Agree with Ic3Rabbit. Maybe try a Jackson or Riedell traditional style boot if you like the stiff, compressive feeling. I do too and that's why I'll never wear Edea, lol.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Agree with Ic3Rabbit. Maybe try a Jackson or Riedell traditional style boot if you like the stiff, compressive feeling. I do too and that's why I'll never wear Edea, lol.
:rock: Even Graf would be an option. ;)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The "you can't overboot in Edea" is arguably the most successful marketing gimmick in the history of marketing. And also a complete lie. It is very possible to overboot in Edea and I see it too often. Sadly, usually having a negative impact on the progress of the skater in question. Not to mention looking like "all the gear, no idea"!

I'd second - or third - the recommendation for you to try a properly fitted, more traditional style boot if you like the compression feeling. As Ic3Rabbit says, if you want to stay with Edea, then Concerto would be the way to go, but do remember that the boots aren't meant to last forever and that they will break down more quickly if they're too big.

Elija

On the Ice
Not trying to undermine or argue with anyone, but genuinely curious - I have seen a few times on here the recommendation that people get concerto over piano or ice fly. However, all three are rated for triples and quads. Many people actually find that concerto feels stiffer due to not having the same synthetic outer as ice fly and piano (supposed to be a more ‘traditional construction’), and that’s why a lot of elite pairs skaters wear them as they hold up for throw jumps. Lots of elite singles skaters also wear concerto (Roman sadovsky comes to mind). For me they all feel very much the same in terms of stiffness - the ice fly is actually the easiest to bend in due to the lower cut. They are all rated for the same thing and I have always felt it is a personal preference for which is more comfortable for your foot. The style of concerto is more like chorus in terms of materials. Ice fly and piano are similar materials but different cut.

Anyway, curious about other people’s thoughts, as I don’t see why pianos are apparently so radically stiffer that they would be over booting when a concerto would not be when they are both rated for triples and quads, they are just different materials and cut.

Edea were meant to be coming out with a more in between boot (between chorus and the top three) but so far it still hasn’t materialised. I guess pandemic manufacturing issues. A shame, because for many adults chorus break down too fast, and there is nothing in between it and the three boots rated for triples/quads.

LokiPoki

Rinkside
One of the fellows at my rink upgraded to Edea Piano's, after his old Jackson's broke down.

I was talking to him about them to see if he liked them, and for the first month he said he couldn't wear them as they were far too painful and he couldn't do anything. He's doing single jumps, but is a strong adult male, so his coach who is the same as mine, said the Piano's would work for him.

My coach said Piano's would work for me too, but the lady at the pro shop wouldn't even consider showing them to me as I'm only just starting to do single jumps. Wouldn't even let me try them on. Which is fine, perhaps in a few years if necessary I would consider Ice Fly or Piano.

I ended up with Chorus, after being in Jackson's that were way too large. They've worn in nicely now since I bought them in July. I do like them, once I got used to the looser ankle.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not trying to undermine or argue with anyone, but genuinely curious - I have seen a few times on here the recommendation that people get concerto over piano or ice fly. However, all three are rated for triples and quads. Many people actually find that concerto feels stiffer due to not having the same synthetic outer as ice fly and piano (supposed to be a more ‘traditional construction’), and that’s why a lot of elite pairs skaters wear them as they hold up for throw jumps. Lots of elite singles skaters also wear concerto (Roman sadovsky comes to mind). For me they all feel very much the same in terms of stiffness - the ice fly is actually the easiest to bend in due to the lower cut. They are all rated for the same thing and I have always felt it is a personal preference for which is more comfortable for your foot. The style of concerto is more like chorus in terms of materials. Ice fly and piano are similar materials but different cut.

Anyway, curious about other people’s thoughts, as I don’t see why pianos are apparently so radically stiffer that they would be over booting when a concerto would not be when they are both rated for triples and quads, they are just different materials and cut.

Edea were meant to be coming out with a more in between boot (between chorus and the top three) but so far it still hasn’t materialised. I guess pandemic manufacturing issues. A shame, because for many adults chorus break down too fast, and there is nothing in between it and the three boots rated for triples/quads.
The rating for the Edeas you listed all being the same are a joke, they definitely do not wear like that and especially for those who do not weigh what many elite skaters do. It's just like they claim anyone can wear them and they don't break down as fast---WRONG!
Besides, Ice Fly and Piano are in no way meant for someone doing single jumps and it is just not logical to fork out so much money for boots you don't need when you can buy ones that really are your level and cost less, plus you won't injure yourself.

Elija

On the Ice
The rating for the Edeas you listed all being the same are a joke, they definitely do not wear like that and especially for those who do not weigh what many elite skaters do. It's just like they claim anyone can wear them and they don't break down as fast---WRONG!
Besides, Ice Fly and Piano are in no way meant for someone doing single jumps and it is just not logical to fork out so much money for boots you don't need when you can buy ones that really are your level and cost less, plus you won't injure yourself.
Yeah I agree there’s no point forking out for them if you’re just learning singles, I just wasn’t getting the distinction between concerto, ice fly and piano since all of them are worn by elite skaters. I have worn just about every edea model out there and found the main differences to be in the cuts of them and what suits a particular foot rather than very small differences in stiffness between these three models.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yeah I agree there’s no point forking out for them if you’re just learning singles, I just wasn’t getting the distinction between concerto, ice fly and piano since all of them are worn by elite skaters. I have worn just about every edea model out there and found the main differences to be in the cuts of them and what suits a particular foot rather than very small differences in stiffness between these three models.
Eh, I agree with you other than that last point, but I'm not here to debate. If several elite skaters can wear concerto and be comfortable with them like Roman (remember Mens boots are stiffer than Ladies boots, even if it's the same style), then fine, but it's not true of most elites that wear Edea, and I know after wearing all/testing them, I would NOT feel comfortable wearing below an ice fly at my level.

Last edited:

christy

On the Ice
Eh, I agree with you other than that last point, but I'm not here to debate. If several elite skaters can wear concerto and be comfortable with them like Roman (remember Mens boots are stiffer than Ladies boots, even if it's the same style), then fine, but it's not true of most elites that wear Edea, and I know after wearing all/testing them, I would NOT feel comfortable wearing below an ice fly at my level.
Interesting, as I know a couple of ladies who've said they've got mens skates, because of sizing or just wanting black skates. Does that mean that with something like Concerto or Ice Fly the black boots are actually stiffer?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Interesting, as I know a couple of ladies who've said they've got mens skates, because of sizing or just wanting black skates. Does that mean that with something like Concerto or Ice Fly the black boots are actually stiffer?
It applies to the same style of boot in Jacksons and others. Not so much Edea IIRC.
For instance: The white ladies Jackson Premiere 2800 is a stiffness rating of 65, but the Mens black Jackson Premiere 2802 is a stiffness rating of 69.

Lutz Mark

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi,

I don't know what you ended up buying, but as I recently had a fitting, I thought I would add my experiences.

I tried both the Ice Fly and the Concerto and, to me, they are very different boots. The Ice Fly seemed quite a bit stiffer - especially around the ankle. My impression is that the last is different than the Concerto too as the ankle pockets seem more shallow and I didn't notice any ankle pocket showing on the outside of the boot. They definitely did not fit around my big boney ankles :p

I typically have a deep ankle/knee/hip bend and could not bend the Ice Fly well at all. The Concerto however was very nice for me. The heel height of the Concerto seemed "normal" - I didn't compare it with the Ice Fly though. The fit was very like the Chorus.

So I saw a big difference between these two boots.

I tried the Chorus and it felt very comfortable and easy to flex, but it felt like it would only last a year or less. It's a lot cheaper, but not if it only lasts that long.

The shop had me try on a Risport Royal Prime (just for length/last comparison) and it was very stiff -- probably more than the Ice Fly. That's a boot make for quads :-o

HNY to all.

Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
The shop had me try on a Risport Royal Prime (just for length/last comparison) and it was very stiff -- probably more than the Ice Fly. That's a boot make for quads :-o
Much more than the Ice Fly! Royal Prime is what Sasha Trusova wears. :jump:

scottie99

Rinkside
I'm around the same level as you, just barely shorter and lighter weight than you too, so our experiences may be similar. I was in Riedells for quite some time, and my next boot was an Ice Fly (long story short, I was going through a really rough time, so my coach was letting me use her old skates for the time being...then I ended up buying those skates from her since I felt comfortable in them. THIS is why I am in Ice Flys. Not because I thought they were cooler or thought I was 'good enough' for them, but rather because they are what fell in my lap at the time). ANYWAYS, once I got myself back on my feet and had a steady income, I invested in a Chorus boot, which is more of my level. I disliked the chorus. I am not sure exactly what felt wrong, but I wasn't comfortable in them, and I wasn't skating my best in them, so I went back to the Ice Flys. I give all this information because I overbooted, but I didn't see any detrimental effects on my skating. If you are looking to upgrade your chorus (75), your options are Concerto (85), Ice Fly (90), and Piano (95). I went from a low-level Riedells to an Ice fly and my skating dramatically improved, it didn't decline. I cannot say what would have happened if I went to an Overture or a Chorus (which were more my level), but I do know that everything ended up being okay. Do what you will with this information, but I think you will be okay in Pianos. Everyone can disagree with what I have said, but in the end, it is your skating. What YOU do doesn't affect anyone else, so if you want to risk overbooting, go for it!! If you think the pianos are the most comfortable and will help you reach your skating goals, go with those. It may not be what is 'reccomended' but everyone skates differently and has different stories.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm around the same level as you, just barely shorter and lighter weight than you too, so our experiences may be similar. I was in Riedells for quite some time, and my next boot was an Ice Fly (long story short, I was going through a really rough time, so my coach was letting me use her old skates for the time being...then I ended up buying those skates from her since I felt comfortable in them. THIS is why I am in Ice Flys. Not because I thought they were cooler or thought I was 'good enough' for them, but rather because they are what fell in my lap at the time). ANYWAYS, once I got myself back on my feet and had a steady income, I invested in a Chorus boot, which is more of my level. I disliked the chorus. I am not sure exactly what felt wrong, but I wasn't comfortable in them, and I wasn't skating my best in them, so I went back to the Ice Flys. I give all this information because I overbooted, but I didn't see any detrimental effects on my skating. If you are looking to upgrade your chorus (75), your options are Concerto (85), Ice Fly (90), and Piano (95). I went from a low-level Riedells to an Ice fly and my skating dramatically improved, it didn't decline. I cannot say what would have happened if I went to an Overture or a Chorus (which were more my level), but I do know that everything ended up being okay. Do what you will with this information, but I think you will be okay in Pianos. Everyone can disagree with what I have said, but in the end, it is your skating. What YOU do doesn't affect anyone else, so if you want to risk overbooting, go for it!! If you think the pianos are the most comfortable and will help you reach your skating goals, go with those. It may not be what is 'reccomended' but everyone skates differently and has different stories.
So, you inherited your coaches old, broken in/down Ice Flies. There is a world of difference between a broken down high level boot and a new, more appropriate level boot.

Pros and ex-pros, coaches and elites are all saying that Piano is the wrong choice and likely to hinder progress - at best - or even cause injury, so why would you weigh in with your little experience that isn't even relevant to encourage the OP in a course of action that really won't help them. Yes, you feel your skating was not affected badly by your move into broken down Ice Flies but you don't tell us whether you were properly fitted for the new Chorus or just bought them in what you considered to be your size based on the old Ice Flies. It's highly likely that the Chorus weren't a good fit for you. You also don't know how your skating may have progressed if you'd been in the right size, fit, level make and model of boots all along.

Please, please, please be careful in issuing advice that goes against the people with a world of experience. Giving your experience is okay, but saying, "I think you will be okay in Pianos" really is not.

Arwen17

Final Flight
I've been in Ice Fly and currently Piano, but I'm also 5'9 in height and weigh 40lbs more than you. I'm working on axel and doubles like you.
I'm roughly 40lbs more than you, and yet I have to do squats in Ice Fly and Piano when I first get them so I can go all the way down to sit spins. They last a looong time for me since once I've got them broken in, they don't break down further very easily.
Piano felt quite a bit stiffer to me than Ice Fly. You might go with Ice Fly if you really don't like Chorus. And if that goes well, you can jump up to Piano in the future.

I agree with the other posters that the sweet spot is probably something between a Chorus and an Ice Fly/Concerto/Piano. Chorus is too flimsy and doesn't last very long. IceFly/Concerto/Piano you have to do squats in them at first to get them where they need to be.