XenForo Questions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

XenForo Questions

First of all, I want to explain that I intended to do this as a numbered list. However, it looks like you can't do that. The last post I made before the migration had a numbered list in it, but now it is appearing as a set of bullet points. However, I can't find a button for doing lists. So, how do you do lists?
Click this button on the editor and a list will appear letting you pick numbered lists:

Screenshot 2020-09-18 at 07.53.00.png
That previous post also shows an example of something else I wanted to ask about. Will the emoticons that we were using on vBulletin be uploaded here? Because the posts that included emoticons that are not on XenForo are rather hard to follow now.
At some point, yeah.
When writing this, it seemed to be permanently in "What You See Is What You Get" mode. Is it possible to switch to normal mode?
Click this button on the editor to get out of WYSIWYG:

Screenshot 2020-09-18 at 07.56.06.png
I just had a look at the Hall Of Fame threads from last season's Predictions Games, and saw that the background colours have been stripped out, and the merged cells are no longer merged. The latter has resulted in the headings being on the wrong columns.
Got a link to the specific thread?
When we were on vBulletin, a feature that I used heavily was, when you were on an index page, you could click on the number of posts in a thread, and a pop-up would appear listing everybody who had posted in a thread, along with the number of posts they had posted. And if you clicked on the number of posts for a particular member, it would list all of their posts in the main window. Is there a way of doing this in XenForo?

Speaking of the index pages, I see that you can still sort the threads, but it is now done by using a filter button at the top right of the page. However, there is no longer the option to sort by thread starter. So, could this option be added?

On vBulletin, when you went into your private messages, there was the option at the bottom of the page to download the contents of your Inbox, your Outbox, or both as a CSV, TXT or XML file. And every time I reached the message limit, I would download my messages before I cleared some space. Looking at the mailbox now, I can't find an option to download messages. So, can this be done on Xenforo?
I'll look in to these.
Is it possible to have square / rectangular avatars? (You only need to look at my avatar to see why I am asking).
And finally, yes. @gsk8 will need to give the final say as to whether they should be squared out though. :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, thank you so much for making the highlighting of the selected text darker. It is a great help. (y)

Click this button on the editor and a list will appear letting you pick numbered lists:

View attachment 1256

At some point, yeah.

Click this button on the editor to get out of WYSIWYG:

View attachment 1257

Got a link to the specific thread?

I'll look in to these.

And finally, yes. @gsk8 will need to give the final say as to whether they should be squared out though. :)

Thank you for the reply. And sorry that I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. I was having computer problems, so couldn't get online.

Firstly the about the lists. I'm an idiot! I thought both those buttons were for different alignments. I didn't notice that they were drop down menus. :oops: So, sorry about that.

And thank you for pointing out the button for going out of WYSIWYG mode.

Since the Senior Grand Prix is due to be the first Predictions Game of this season, I will use last year's Hall Of Fame Thread:

In the header row, the first cell is displayed correctly. But for the rest of the row, each cell is supposed to be 2 columns wide, and coloured as follows:

• Overall: (No coloured background)
  • Ladies: Red background
  • Men: Blue background
  • Pairs: Green background
  • Dance: Yellow background

Also, in the first column, each cell from row 2 downwards is supposed to be the same colour as the medal in question.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Thank you for the reply. And sorry that I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. I was having computer problems, so couldn't get online.
No need to apologise. :)
Since the Senior Grand Prix is due to be the first Predictions Game of this season, I will use last year's Hall Of Fame Thread:

In the header row, the first cell is displayed correctly. But for the rest of the row, each cell is supposed to be 2 columns wide, and coloured as follows:

• Overall: (No coloured background)
  • Ladies: Red background
  • Men: Blue background
  • Pairs: Green background
  • Dance: Yellow background

Also, in the first column, each cell from row 2 downwards is supposed to be the same colour as the medal in question.
Thanks for the additional context. I'll take a look and see if there's anything that can be done here.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Lol, a funny thing happened with this transfer. In the previous forum, when I used :popcorn:

It's now showing up as :p opcorn: lol

Or even here: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/yuna-kim.29910/page-313#post-2628254

ETA: one more thing, I think this is in general a problem with these forum softwares, but I sometimes have to reload the page multiple times to see a new post (which I know exists because the thread preview on the board I'm viewing says so). This post also took multiple reloads to finally show my edits.

Last edited:

jvpiter

Rinkside
I like the new look! Feels a lot cleaner and less cluttered. However, and I feel really dumb, but how do I access the mobile version, since it's the one I use the most (on Tapatalk)? 🤔

Fried

Final Flight
In the old forum, the ad always jumped to the last unread post. Now I can only choose between the first and the last (newest) post of a thread. Am i doing something wrong? Thanks for your help.

I like the new look! Feels a lot cleaner and less cluttered. However, and I feel really dumb, but how do I access the mobile version, since it's the one I use the most (on Tapatalk)? 🤔
Tapatalk isn't supported here, unfortunately. Since the site scales down to the size of your browser, you should be able to just use the browser version. I'm going to set something up shortly so that you'll be able to add the site to your home screen and that might make it a bit easier as well.
In the old forum, the ad always jumped to the last unread post. Now I can only choose between the first and the last (newest) post of a thread. Am i doing something wrong? Thanks for your help.
It should take you to the last unread post by default. If you've read everything, you'll get taken to the first post.
How do we block , place on ignore a thread?
Can't do that, at the moment.
ETA: one more thing, I think this is in general a problem with these forum softwares, but I sometimes have to reload the page multiple times to see a new post (which I know exists because the thread preview on the board I'm viewing says so). This post also took multiple reloads to finally show my edits.
I don't think I can replicate this. What web browser and operating system are you using?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I don't think I can replicate this. What web browser and operating system are you using?
Windows 10, Firefox. Cleared my cache too. Same problem on my android with Google chrome.

It's okay if it can't be fixed though. It's pretty trivial. It's always been the case with Xenforo forums for me (though this is the only site I'm registered on that uses it), so I thought it was a general thing. Eh.

ETA: maybe should add that it happens when the latest post is very new. Posted say a minute ago. But again meh.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
The new platform looks wonderful and I seem to be able to navigate the board pretty easily and
the new "like" options are cool. Thank you!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
*feels the need to get Server Guy's opinion on relevant skating issues like GOE inflation and under rotations vs prerotations but resists the urge*

Can people still block other users? We often advise people to block users they squabble with on a regular basis and if that isn't an option right now I don't want to suggest it and look like a dolt.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Click on the person's avatar. Then pick Ignore.

You manage your ignores from your profile.
*feels the need to get Server Guy's opinion on relevant skating issues like GOE inflation and under rotations vs prerotations but resists the urge*

Can people still block other users? We often advise people to block users they squabble with on a regular basis and if that isn't an option right now I don't want to suggest it and look like a dolt.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Firstly, thanks for all the work that has been done for the update, the forum looks great and is easy to navigate.
One quick problem I've bumped into: I've been regularly updating the 2020/21 Programs by Discipline list in the original post of the thread and, when I went to do so today, I wasn't able to save the changes as as box appeared asking me to input a message less than 10,000 characters. I copied the full post into Word and it was over 19,000 characters in total!
I wonder if someone would be able to split the original post into 4 separate posts (one for each discipline) at the top of the thread, as appears to have been done in previous years, so I can continue to update the list.
Many thanks!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, thanks for all the work that has been done for the update, the forum looks great and is easy to navigate.
One quick problem I've bumped into: I've been regularly updating the 2020/21 Programs by Discipline list in the original post of the thread and, when I went to do so today, I wasn't able to save the changes as as box appeared asking me to input a message less than 10,000 characters. I copied the full post into Word and it was over 19,000 characters in total!
I wonder if someone would be able to split the original post into 4 separate posts (one for each discipline) at the top of the thread, as appears to have been done in previous years, so I can continue to update the list.
Many thanks!

Yipes! There's no hope that it will accept my Fan Fest Posts then, as the tables alone are probably over 10,000 characters when you include all the coding! :eek:

Since the start of the lockdown, I have been regularly writing PM's to a handful of members. And for nearly all of those PM's, I have been having to split them into 2 parts because I have gone over the 10,000 character limit (there was even one message that I had to split into 3 parts as it went over 20,000 characters!)

So, I would like to ask for the character limit to be removed not just for the public posts, but also for the private messages.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, now for the issue I wanted to raise.

Last night, I went into Liza Tuktamysheva's Fan Fest, as I saw on the index page that there was a new post in it. So, I went in, and was surprised to see her looking out at me!

Out of curiosity, I then went into Alina Zagitova's Fan Fest, and the pages are getting VERY cluttered looking. Nearly every post since the migration contains either still images, GIFS, embedded Instagram posts or being embedded videos.

Here are the pages of Zagitova's Fan Fest that contain posts since the migration:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/alina-zagitova.60212/page-1134
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/alina-zagitova.60212/page-1135

I just posted a comment in the British & Irish thread. It included links to 3 Instagram photos. I deliberately used the "[URL ] [/URL ]" coding and the full address when writing the post so that the images would not be shown [Just so that you know, I deliberately inserted spaces in the codes in the previous sentence so that they will not work]. However when I clicked "Post reply", it automatically changed it to the "[MEDIA =instagram] [/MEDIA ]" coding with just the part of the address for the specific photo in between. And the images were shown.

After some experimenting, the only way I could find to avoid this happening was to have the link behind some text. And that is not ideal. Especially if for some reason you specifically want to have the actual address displayed.

Back when we were on vBulletin, all these things were disabled. And to me, it made the threads a LOT tidier and a LOT easier to follow. Indeed, the excessive numbers of images being displayed (and the length of time it took pages to load as a result) was the main reason I gave up visiting the ICE SKATING & RITMICA Forum soon after I joined. (The fact that everybody was posting in Italian didn't bother me).

So, would it be possible to disable the display of these things again?

CaroLiza_fan

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many thanks!

Yipes! There's no hope that it will accept my Fan Fest Posts then, as the tables alone are probably over 10,000 characters when you include all the coding! :eek:

Since the start of the lockdown, I have been regularly writing PM's to a handful of members. And for nearly all of those PM's, I have been having to split them into 2 parts because I have gone over the 10,000 character limit (there was even one message that I had to split into 3 parts as it went over 20,000 characters!)

So, I would like to ask for the character limit to be removed not just for the public posts, but also for the private messages.

CaroLiza_fan
The character limit as been removed.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just generally, why did you choose to migrate from vB? I saw they're still updating version 5, so I'm curious. Xenforo is much better, is that the reason?
In was an internal decision after taking many factors into consideration ;)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We may revisit Tapatalk in the future. For now, are you saying you cannot access the site on your mobile?

jvpiter

Rinkside
We may revisit Tapatalk in the future. For now, are you saying you cannot access the site on your mobile?
No, I can access the site on my mobile browser and it works well here. It was just more convenient on the app.