XenForo Questions | Page 5 | Golden Skate

XenForo Questions

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you.

Unfortunately the Northern Ireland flag is missing from the options this time. So, I'll pass on displaying a flag myself.

But, I am delighted you found a way of bringing them back. I always love looking at them! :biggrin:

🏴‍☠️🏁

CaroLiza_fan

🤗

I live in a strange place. If you say you are British, a lot of people get offended. If you say you are Irish, a lot of people get offended. So, to avoid offending anybody, I always say I'm Northern Irish. :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Your flag is now available.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Your flag is now available.

THANK YOU!!!!

And can I take this opportunity to say something. For the few days after the migration happened, I was worried. The new platform was so different to what I was used to. But, now that I am getting used to how to do things on XenForo, I actually prefer it to vBulletin!

So, thank you for deciding to take the plunge. It was worth it!

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Any chance that our previous friends list will be back in the future? It's not a feature I miss too terribly, but it was a nice one. When someone took a look at your profile, they could see your 'affiliation' immediately, and with their names marked by plus marks, it was easy to spot which of your friends are online when you were on the main page.

Btw CaroLiza, good to hear you feel quite at home in the new forum. That gives me hope I'll have someone to ask when the need comes to update my fanfest OPs. Or better yet, it would be great if a rough table creation tutorial was in the general fanfest subforum so I could consult it when needed...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not a big one, but just wondering if there would in the future be other options for colors for the layout? A dark layout option would be really nice. :giggle:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Any chance that our previous friends list will be back in the future? It's not a feature I miss too terribly, but it was a nice one. When someone took a look at your profile, they could see your 'affiliation' immediately, and with their names marked by plus marks, it was easy to spot which of your friends are online when you were on the main page.
This platform does not have this I'm afraid. However, you can "follow" someone and then see their activity :)

Go to "What's New" > "Your news feed"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not a big one, but just wondering if there would in the future be other options for colors for the layout? A dark layout option would be really nice. :giggle:
Not at this time. This is a brand new custom theme that we felt would cover all the bases. Or did you mean a darker background?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not at this time. This is a brand new custom theme that we felt would cover all the bases. Or did you mean a darker background?
I would love to have a darker background or something. There those of us that the lighter themes or whatnot hurt our eyes.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If you think it was different for you, imagine climbing under the hood to mess with the engine.:oops:

I dread to imagine! But, you have done a great job setting up the forum on the new platform.

Btw CaroLiza, good to hear you feel quite at home in the new forum. That gives me hope I'll have someone to ask when the need comes to update my fanfest OPs. Or better yet, it would be great if a rough table creation tutorial was in the general fanfest subforum so I could consult it when needed...

The tables are the main thing I am having problems with at the moment. There are a couple of crucial formatting things that are not being picked up by "What You See Is What You Get" mode any more, and I plain don't know the coding off the top of my head to put the coding back in manually.

In hindsight, I really should have saved a copy of the codes used for the tables to a Word Document. But, it just never crossed my mind that I would ever need to have them to hand. I just assumed that having the finished tables saved to a document, and copying the coding from tables that were already posted, would be enough.

I started experimenting yesterday morning in the Testing Area. Rather than using a complex Fan Fest table, I decided to use a simpler Predictions Game Hall Of Fame table. If you want to see how it went, it starts here:

As you can see, it didn't go well.

So, I'm stuck at the moment. But, I'm sure that a solution (or an alternative method of presenting things) will be found eventually.

CaroLiza_fan

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The tables are the main thing I am having problems with at the moment. There are a couple of crucial formatting things that are not being picked up by "What You See Is What You Get" mode any more, and I plain don't know the coding off the top of my head to put the coding back in manually.

This is a learning curve for all of us. Currently, XF uses BB code.

When I copy/pasted tables from results to a message, it was a mess. But when I copied them to Word and then copied from Word to the message block, they came up fine (see Nebelhorn starting orders).

Go this link about BB code and scroll down until you see info on tables. This should help!

If there is an old table that you can recall you made in VB, let me know and I'll see if I can hunt it down.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This is a learning curve for all of us. Currently, XF uses BB code.

When I copy/pasted tables from results to a message, it was a mess. But when I copied them to Word and then copied from Word to the message block, they came up fine (see Nebelhorn starting orders).

Go this link about BB code and scroll down until you see info on tables. This should help!

If there is an old table that you can recall you made in VB, let me know and I'll see if I can hunt it down.

For the sake of continuity, I can give you the link to the original posting of the table that I was experimenting with (it's actually in the archives now):

From looking at the other Hall of Fame posts where I can access the coding, all the coding that used to be there for the colours and the merged cells got removed in the migration.

If you want, I can send you my original Word Document to let you see what it is supposed to look like (it actually contains all the tables in that thread).

CaroLiza_fan

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I wouldn't mind the "laughing" reaction being removed. It's used rather mean-spiritedly on FB, and I think I've already seen it be used that way here.

Also not sure if the mods told you about it yet, but since I just saw another post not in English: I'm pretty sure that this website tends to quote and post things after it's been processed by whatever browser translator is being used on the user-end. So my last interaction was about someone posting in French, but what was happening was that they had a translator active on their browser, so the website got the translated version of their post (which they'd written in English, but the translator turned it into French before it got posted). When they turned it off, they were able to post in English. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have been the case in vB.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't mind the "laughing" reaction being removed. It's used rather mean-spiritedly on FB, and I think I've already seen it be used that way here.

Also not sure if the mods told you about it yet, but since I just saw another post not in English: I'm pretty sure that this website tends to quote and post things after it's been processed by whatever browser translator is being used on the user-end. So my last interaction was about someone posting in French, but what was happening was that they had a translator active on their browser, so the website got the translated version of their post (which they'd written in English, but the translator turned it into French before it got posted). When they turned it off, they were able to post in English. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have been the case in vB.

I have been working with the poster in question. Yes, the translator worked in VB, but not here.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I correct in assuming my 27,700 thumbs up are gone forever? :console:

zounger

Medalist
There was an ignore for threads too in the previous version of the forum. Is it still available?