XenForo Questions | Page 11 | Golden Skate

XenForo Questions

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For me, between the "floating video", the header strip (useful) and the ad at the bottom of the page, I can see exactly ONE line of the post I'm trying to read, and that only if I scroll very carefully. I'm on a desktop with a fairly large screen, but I do have a largish font to accommodate my aging eyes.

Is it really necessary to have to ads obscure ALL the content?

I was going to post about it, but I knew what the reaction would be.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for pointers : i have never complained about the other ads until that floater came in... i have been on this forum for several years and visit regularly. So i hope my feedback is not seen as a simple whining moment... it was given with sincerity and consideration.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ads, video or otherwise, are not put in place to annoy or confuse people. They are necessary for the revenue in order to sustain the site which has been free for nearly 20 years.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The ads, video or otherwise, are not put in place to annoy or confuse people. They are necessary for the revenue in order to sustain the site which has been free for nearly 20 years.
But if the ads are annoying and confusing people, not to mention obscuring all real content, then they will drive people away. Your ad revenue will dry up without actual users.

Also, if the "floating video" obscures the content to the point where everyone immediately closes it (has to close it in order to see the content), then the ad is not effective.

I get that you need ad revenue, but the ads needs to be reasonable.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We did not charge this year for the competition threads as we have in the past due to COVID. Our plan was not to charge for the Olympic season either, which is why the video ad was incorporated - in order to see if we could offset the difference. If we remove the ad, then we will need to charge for the Competition thread next season beginning 1 July.

It's too soon to see if the "floating video" ad will help make up for lost revenue. However, I'd be happy to take a vote to see if folks would prefer to pay $10 for next season for the competition threads rather than have the video ad.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well, i will give you my two cents... that's all i have left. I would prefer not having that video floater all year long, even if it means that i got no access to competition threads... anyways, at the speed that posts go in the competition threads, if there is a video floater in the way of posting, there won't be any fun... seriously, you can have all the ads you want and need, but those who are lining up right on top of the "reply" button are not helping you... let's say you want to sell a house... and in order to do so, you put a giant billboard advertizing the house, just in front of it... well.. people will see your billboard but will not visit the house... you need to entice people, not drive them away.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you. You are seeing exactly what I'm seeing. While it's annoying, please be aware that many other sites use the same type of advertisement in the same position.

In the meantime, I will temporarily remove it and look at other additional options, but it may be back.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thank you for removing it. I have not experienced this floater on any of the sides i frequently visit. Also, if it's there on other sites, it may be less damageable because it's a site to read or look at... I am thinking that lurkers would not have problems with the GS floater... but users who post regularly and interact with others, that's a different story. In any case, thank you for considering other options. It's appreciated.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have experienced a far more annoying and intrusive floater on another figure skating site:scratch2:. Right there interfering when I post.
Of course nothing stops me from saying my piece:biggrin:

Personally I don't think this ad would stop any lurkers from posting, but I can't speak for all lurkers any more than anyone else can. And the bills have got to be paid, one way or the other. ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have experienced a far more annoying and intrusive floater on another figure skating site:scratch2:. Right there interfering when I post.
Of course nothing stops me from saying my piece:biggrin:

Personally I don't think this ad would stop any lurkers from posting, but I can't speak for all lurkers any more than anyone else can. And the bills have got to be paid, one way or the other. ;)
you certainly misunderstood me... I actually said that a floater wouldn't matter to lurkers because they do not hit the buttons needed to react and reply to posts... but for the users, those who are doing more than just reading the forum, it is obtrusive. The floater has thankfully been taken away (for now) and my user experience is back to an enjoyable level... One thing we can agree on : not everybody experiences the same disagreements :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Can I make a very minor request?

On the main forum pages, could the width of the column telling you about the latest post be increased by one-letter?

The reason I am asking is that, when the most recent post was posted during a double-digit hour on the previous Wednesday, the time doesn't fit on the same line as the day. The result of this is that that thread's row is extended to 3 lines rather than the usual 2 lines.

On single-digit hours (including on a Wednesday), it fits fine. And on every other day of the week, it fits fine. It is just on double-digit hours on a Wednesday that it doesn't fit.

As I say, it's only a very minor request. But, it would make the pages look a lot tidier.

CaroLiza_fan

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What device are you using? Can you provide a screenshot?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
What device are you using? Can you provide a screenshot?

It's a Windows 10 PC.

I've attached two screenshots from The Edge to show you what I am talking about. The relevant row is the one for the "Programmes By Discipline" thread.

The first schreenshot has the History Sidebar displayed (I always display it) and the second does not have it displayed. As you can see, whether the Side Bar is displayed or not doesn't make any difference to the width of the final column.

I have also attached two screenshots from the Pairs Fan Fest sub-forum to show that the problem does not occur on single digit hours on a Wednesday. The relevant row is the one for the "Annika Hocke & Robert Kunkel" thread.

This is my first time attaching files to a post, so I hope it works!

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Attachments

• The Edge (With History Side Bar).jpg
    The Edge (With History Side Bar).jpg
    134 KB · Views: 20
  • The Edge (Without History Side Bar).jpg
    The Edge (Without History Side Bar).jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Pairs Fan Fest (With History Side Bar).jpg
    Pairs Fan Fest (With History Side Bar).jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Pairs Fan Fest (Without History Side Bar).jpg
    Pairs Fan Fest (Without History Side Bar).jpg
    128 KB · Views: 21

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Can I make a very minor request?

On the main forum pages, could the width of the column telling you about the latest post be increased by one-letter?

The reason I am asking is that, when the most recent post was posted during a double-digit hour on the previous Wednesday, the time doesn't fit on the same line as the day. The result of this is that that thread's row is extended to 3 lines rather than the usual 2 lines.

On single-digit hours (including on a Wednesday), it fits fine. And on every other day of the week, it fits fine. It is just on double-digit hours on a Wednesday that it doesn't fit.

As I say, it's only a very minor request. But, it would make the pages look a lot tidier.

CaroLiza_fan
It's an artefact that depends on the size of your screen and the size of the font you are using. After you posted the pictures, I looked at the corresponding screens on my computer, and I have the two-line phenomenon for Yesterday as well as Wednesday. I zoomed out in my browser, and everything fit on one line in all cases.

Interestingly, I had never noticed it before.

In short, the look of the screen very much depends on the screen size and font size being used, and making adjustments to make it look ideal in all cases would be a never-ending task.

If anything, and if it's easy/possible, I would shorten the days (Wed for Wednesday, etc). That would save space on everyone's screen.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I personally don’t mind ads too much, if 1) they are the closable type, and 2) if it keeps the site free. I might be in the minority here, but I like this site and I don’t want to have to pay. The only time the video popup really annoys me is when there is no news so it’s showing me something along the lines of “Rika Kihira wins the Japanese National Championships” in like February because I’ve already seen it 50 times. Other than that, I am alright.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I only noticed now, but has GS eliminated the Twitter Train from it main page? I can't see it anymore. :( I liked it and I'd check it regularly for news about skaters, especially since I don't have a Twitter account.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@surimi we had to remove for now as the script conflicts with the google validity issues. Once twitter updates the script, we can put it back in :)