Your favorite "small fed"? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Your favorite "small fed"?

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Of course I get heavily influenced by my beloveds, so they are 🇨🇭🇱🇻🇲🇽 😁 I would also include 🇺🇿 although there doesn't seem to be any athlete of world class level at the mo - there was a talk of Tashkent becoming a candidate for 2022WJC, I was so excited for the possibility for the sake of that someone on my avatar, also would have considered to go even. But alas, it wasn't to be, the selection went to Sofia. 😔

ManiDani

Rinkside
Team Italy. I was rooting for them to take the surprise bronze at the last Olympic team event. They consistently produce skaters with solid technique that also know how to perform. Anna and Luca, Charlene and Marco, Valentina and Ondrej, and of course Carolina are some of my all time favorite skaters.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really like many skaters from small feds and have a soft spot for small feds in general.

Two of the feds I'd like to mention:
Belgium 🇧🇪
Jorik Hendrickx
Loena Hendrickx
Kevin van der Perren

Georgia 🇬🇪
Maria Kazakova / Georgy Reviya
Morisi Kvitelashvili
Belgium 🇧🇪 is a great choice.

I'm afraid I've lost track of Kevin. Is he still competing, or did he retire from competition? Personal preference, but I enjoyed him more than either of the ladies. But I tend to enjoy the men's event more in general, so no shade towards either of them.

And, of course, I welcome you to the swelling legions of Georgia 🇬🇪 supporters! There are two of us now!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Belgium 🇧🇪 is a great choice.

I'm afraid I've lost track of Kevin. Is he still competing, or did he retire from competition? Personal preference, but I enjoyed him more than either of the ladies. But I tend to enjoy the men's event more in general, so no shade towards either of them.

I totally agree with you about Kevin. I loved his style of skating.

Unfortunately, Kevin retired after 2012 Worlds. His catalogue of injuries just got too much for him. 😞

Since then, he and wife Jenna McCorkell (the most successful skater ever from my wee part fo the world! ;) :biggrin: ) have gone into coaching in Belgium. And we have seen them at competitions with their students over the past few years. Dutch skater Kyarha van Tiel (who announced her retirement 2 weeks ago) is probably the most high profile of their students.

Kevin and Jenna welcomed their son Ben into the world at the end of August 2019. 👶

If you want to see some recent photos, here's an album that Jenna put up to mark Kevin's 38th birthday at the start of August:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDjDITBJU0i/

A real doting father!

CaroLiza_fan

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I totally agree with you about Kevin. I loved his style of skating.

Unfortunately, Kevin retired after 2012 Worlds. His catalogue of injuries just got too much for him. 😞

Since then, he and wife Jenna McCorkell (the most successful skater ever from my wee part fo the world! ;) :biggrin: ) have gone into coaching in Belgium. And we have seen them at competitions with their students over the past few years. Dutch skater Kyarha van Tiel (who announced her retirement 2 weeks ago) is probably the most high profile of their students.

Kevin and Jenna welcomed their son Ben into the world at the end of August 2019. 👶

If you want to see some recent photos, here's an album that Jenna put up to mark Kevin's 38th birthday at the start of August:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDjDITBJU0i/

A real doting father!

CaroLiza_fan
He retired in 2012? OMG, as I get older, time goes faster! It really doesn't seem THAT long ago that I enjoyed his skating.

Those pictures in the instagram are wonderful. I'm glad they've both found a happy life after skating.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Estonia and Latvia, because it is always a full couch in the K&C in their local events, which the kids clearly enjoying the attention and support.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Donovan Carrillo is the pride of México, not Spain, but I know you know that ;)

Jumping off, I am with my friend Tonto here. I have difficulty thinking of France or Italy as "small feds". Particularly France, which has been competitive at least in the men's discipline since the 60s. Smaller countries, maybe? but they have historically had powerful skaters. :)
Dang. Yes I do know that. I even was thinking of buying a Mexican flag for the next Philly International along with the special stuffie I got him.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You will love this watch it to the end!!!!

His skate at the exhibition gala at the Mentor Toruń Cup

Enjoy!!!
Thank you! I did love it! I fell in love with him at 2019 Worlds when he came bounding off the ice and exclaimed "that was the most fun ever" or some such thing. I was hoping he would make the free skate ....so close! He qualified last year. Does he have to requalify this year with so few comps?