Yuri on Ice movie | Golden Skate

Yuri on Ice movie

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
The producers of the Yuri on Ice movie have given an update today that they are still working on the movie, but cannot give a relase date yet

The movie was postponed in 2019 and people have been wondering what happened to it.

They also released a teaser for the movie. Really exciting.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Let's see what they're going to predict about the world of FS this time, because I remember the debacle of Viktor skating four quads in competition only for Nathan to do the same a few weeks later... :popcorn:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's see what they're going to predict about the world of FS this time, because I remember the debacle of Viktor skating four quads in competition only for Nathan to do the same a few weeks later... :popcorn:

I don’t watch anime or YOI (I am told they have a character named Leo somewhat based on Jason:love2: and I still have never watched it)
but why would that be a debacle?

this is an anime series. And folks bring real life skating into it to make some “point” that “my” skater is better? Wow, incomprehensible to me. Just enjoy the series for what it is, and if it’s not your cup of tea, why watch? Life’s too short:biggrin:

i hope that everyone who enjoys YOI enjoys this movie 🙂

jillredhand

Record Breaker
I don’t watch anime or YOI (I am told they have a character named Leo somewhat based on Jason:love2: and I still have never watched it)
but why would that be a debacle?

this is an anime series. And folks bring real life skating into it to make some “point” that “my” skater is better? Wow, incomprehensible to me. Just enjoy the series for what it is, and if it’s not your cup of tea, why watch? Life’s too short:biggrin:

i hope that everyone who enjoys YOI enjoys this movie 🙂

I don't think it was a debacle exactly. It's just that the anime was deliberately trying to portray its fictional figure skaters a little ahead of the curve of IRL skating, but they were writing right on the cusp of the quad revolution, and didn't anticipate how fast things would change. The show began production in early 2016, before anyone had landed a 4Lo or 4F, and Boyang was considered the crazy one for doing four quads in an FS. Before the show even aired in fall 2016, though, Shoma landed the 4F and Yuzuru the 4Lo, and then a month after the show ended Nathan did 5 quads at US Nationals. It was just kinda exhilarating for FS fans watching both the anime and the sport to see that the showrunners expected 4Fs and 4 quad programs to be whooaaa so mindblowing, only for them to be left in the dust by IRL skaters so quickly.

I, for one, and HYPED for more Yuri!!! on Ice content. Feels like so much has changed since it first aired. Since the movie is a prequel about Viktor's early career, I wonder if we're going to see a lot of homages and references to mid-00's skaters. I always thought Viktor reminded me more of Lambiel than Plushenko, so I wonder if the movie will bear that out.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I always thought Viktor reminded me more of Lambiel than Plushenko, so I wonder if the movie will bear that out.
I think they are going to continue down the Viktor is Plushy path. Plushenko was 14-turning-15 in his first Olympic season and 18-turning-19 in his second, so Viktor would fit neatly between those.

I think it's smart to go back in time for this one after they accidentally stumbled on their "outlandish tech" becoming...not so outlandish during the original series.

The only thing I'll beg for is that they actually run their damn programs through the IJS. That GPF scoring is still pissing me off. The result was literally impossible. And for them to please, please stop with the "oh no he fell he automatically lost!". I mean, I hate that sometimes skaters win medals with multiple falls, but it's a thing that happens...Yuri's meltdown in the Cup of China episode where he basically considered himself worthless because he fell on a quad flip attempt (which also "cost him the win") was just laughably bad.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a serious question, knowing little about this world: do most of the YOI fans care if the skating part is realistic, or do posters here care because we're skating fans and of course we care?

Example: spousal unit is a classicist. Most sword and sandals movies bear no relation to anything that actually happened in the ancient world. He is able to watch and enjoy without complaint.:) On the other hand, although I can tolerate some leeway for legal dramas, every once in a while I will scream at the screen "No one would ever do that in court, at all, not ever":palmf:

Where do YOI fans fall? Or is there no real way to tell?

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I have a serious question, knowing little about this world: do most of the YOI fans care if the skating part is realistic, or do posters here care because we're skating fans and of course we care?

Where do YOI fans fall? Or is there no real way to tell?
Most Yuri on Ice fans generally don’t care about realism as they are fans of anime not of figure skating, and as such, won’t recognize the absurdity. Posters here are different. Speaking strictly for myself, I didn’t mind the nonsense, but I definitely remember rolling my eyes at Russian Yuri scoring something like a 116 in an SP.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Most Yuri on Ice fans generally don’t care about realism as they are fans of anime not of figure skating, and as such, won’t recognize the absurdity. Posters here are different. Speaking strictly for myself, I didn’t mind the nonsense, but I definitely remember rolling my eyes at Russian Yuri scoring something like a 116 in an SP.
There was a really good breakdown on Tumblr that demonstrated exactly how impossible that score was under the IJS as it was at the time. I think one or two of the FS scores were impossible too.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can tolerate some leeway for legal dramas, every once in a while I will scream at the screen "No one would ever do that in court, at all, not ever":palmf:
:laugh2: Don't ever watch a Law & Order marathon you'll lose your voice!

I don't really try to understand IJS and hate it when skaters fall down so I just rolled with Yuri on Ice.

Maybe individual elements are just scored higher in that world is a good way to think about it. I don't remember anyone saying "Oh a quad flip is worth 12 points" or whatever.

Minami mentions +300 GOE though ;)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

No, its realistic - haven't you heard of Russian inflation???

I guess 116 is possible now Medvedeva is back with Eteri (Yes this is an exaggeration/joke).

I also rolled my eyes, but remember this accounts for the fact you can put all three jumping elements in the second half, and he put arms aloft on every element, and probably full 10's and +5's. I'm sure if Hanyu did this it'd be possible in the +3 system.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I also rolled my eyes, but remember this accounts for the fact you can put all three jumping elements in the second half, and he put arms aloft on every element, and probably full 10's and +5's. I'm sure if Hanyu did this it'd be possible in the +3 system.
It might be possible now, but a breakdown was done by fans at the time, and it was proved that with the layout they showed, even with +3 GOE on every element and all 10s PCS, the score was literally impossible. So was the Kazakh skater's (I can't remember that character's name, the Denis Ten expy).

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
It might be possible now, but a breakdown was done by fans at the time, and it was proved that with the layout they showed, even with +3 GOE on every element and all 10s PCS, the score was literally impossible. So was the Kazakh skater's (I can't remember that character's name, the Denis Ten expy).
Just checked, you're right - sort of - 115.94 was the maximum with his quads available (if every quad was in the second half) - at least using 2014 BV.
However 2011 BV 116.84 was possible,
2017 it was 116.16 .

I think Yuri on ice was released before 2017, and it might be possible they used older base values from 2011 (especially if the script was written long before it was made or the production process took a long time.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the explanations, everyone, I now understand it isn't directed at a particular skater, but the scoring system.

I know I'm a old fuddy-duddy, but I can't take the scoring system or wow factor of an anime cartoon too seriously ;) But I understand the impetus of skating fans to do so:)