Yuri on Ice movie | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuri on Ice movie

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Most Yuri on Ice fans generally don’t care about realism as they are fans of anime not of figure skating, and as such, won’t recognize the absurdity. Posters here are different. Speaking strictly for myself, I didn’t mind the nonsense, but I definitely remember rolling my eyes at Russian Yuri scoring something like a 116 in an SP.
I actually had been chewed out on a writing/comic forum for calling YoI a sports anime. Apparently, it did not go into enough details to educate the audience about the sport to consider it a sports anime. Given that the only other anime with sport that I saw a bit of (thanks to my anime obsessed child) was about volleyball, and I felt non-the-wiser about volleyball, I dunno.

it doesn’t recreate GP accurately, but the glam is there, and the skating programs + stream of consciousness is so well-done. So sue me, but I love it. 🤩

also, my kid kept demanding the stream of consciousness track during the real competitions, lol.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I actually had been chewed out on a writing/comic forum for calling YoI a sports anime. Apparently, it did not go into enough details to educate the audience about the sport to consider it a sports anime. Given that the only other anime with sport that I saw a bit of (thanks to my anime obsessed child) was about volleyball, and I felt non-the-wiser about volleyball, I dunno.

it doesn’t recreate GP accurately, but the glam is there, and the skating programs + stream of consciousness is so well-done. So sue me, but I love it. 🤩

also, my kid kept demanding the stream of consciousness track during the real competitions, lol.
Odd. I absolutely consider Yuri on Ice a sports anime. Sports anime (i.e., Hajime no Ippo, Haikyu, Run With the Wind) are formulaic - an unlikely dude or unlikely dudes band together to achieve something seemingly insurmountable. That’s Yuri on Ice to a T. Sports anime also tend to have the ability in holding one’s attention even if you have zero interest in the sport itself. Most people that watch Yuri on Ice that know zero about figure skating will come away learning something. But it didn’t go into that much detail about the scoring system. I don’t think GOES or PCS were ever mentioned. I also had to explain why Japanese Yuri (based on Takahashi and Oda, by the way) was always performing the “same routine.”

The team did a great job with the GP series. (I was surprised that the real names were used) and impressed with the programs. Heh. The most unrealistic thing about the show was the coaching situation.

Imagine Kolyada announcing his retirement and then immediately flying to Japan to coach Shoma Uno. Hell outa here!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I also had to explain why Japanese Yuri (based on Takahashi and Oda, by the way) was always performing the “same routine.”

I think it's much like historical/period drama: accuracy and detail is very much handwaved, and the audience - those who even notice - make allowances. Anime-style - or the local, for period - aesthetics, romance and drama are way more important.

And I have read that Yuri was also heavily influenced by/modelled on Machida.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Odd. I absolutely consider Yuri on Ice a sports anime. Sports anime (i.e., Hajime no Ippo, Haikyu, Run With the Wind) are formulaic - an unlikely dude or unlikely dudes band together to achieve something seemingly insurmountable. That’s Yuri on Ice to a T. Sports anime also tend to have the ability in holding one’s attention even if you have zero interest in the sport itself. Most people that watch Yuri on Ice that know zero about figure skating will come away learning something. But it didn’t go into that much detail about the scoring system. I don’t think GOES or PCS were ever mentioned. I also had to explain why Japanese Yuri (based on Takahashi and Oda, by the way) was always performing the “same routine.”

The team did a great job with the GP series. (I was surprised that the real names were used) and impressed with the programs. Heh. The most unrealistic thing about the show was the coaching situation.

Imagine Kolyada announcing his retirement and then immediately flying to Japan to coach Shoma Uno. Hell outa here!
Basically, I said exact same thing, that I thought there was quite a bit of captures of how the sport works, and how they were scored to understand within the contest of the anime why Yuri was losing and wining.

Yes, they did borrow the older notion that a fall is a catastrophe for the score—but it is easy to dramatize, so I get it—but they spared no efforts in explaining TES vs PCS, and the ‘on tired legs rule’ etc.

but, they guy who wrote me the impassionate letter said IOU’s basically should be able to watch the sport after the anime, and how only because I was a fan of skating already, I got it.

part of it is, maybe, because Yuri is so short.

Like the volleyball one, which is super popular, basically repeats everything about their roles on the team, episode after episode, does stills in the middle of the game to narrate the strategy, as the team painstakingly works it’s way through the all important high school competition.

so, I dunno.

personaly, to me, Yoi is not just a sports story, it is a good one that subverts a lot of tropes. 😅

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have never had the opportunity to watch Yoi but I was very impressed to find that Satsuki Muramoto (Kana's older sister) is a character in the series as the second coach for Phichit: https://karice.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/p570-rl-japanese-skaters-on-yuri-on-ice-part-2/. I was fortunate to see Satsuki twice as a junior skater and loved her graceful, flowing skating. (I assume that Kana is in the Kiss and Cry with Satsuki in the video clip and the skate is the last performance from Satsuki before retiring from competition?)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There is apparently a new FS anime starting in Japan in January - 'Skate-Leading Stars'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skate-Leading_Stars However, given that the premise is figure skating as a team sport (and no, not synchronised) I would not hold too high hopes of obsessive accuracy - on the other hand, what with the Olympics and WTT, who knows where we might be heading...

Last edited: