Yuzuru Hanyu to skip the Grand Prix series due to Coronavirus | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu to skip the Grand Prix series due to Coronavirus

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yuzuru Hanyu won't be competing in the GP series this season,
He cites personal health (his asthma), logistics of travel for himself and coaches, and also that his participation might cause others to travel to see the competition and therefore further spread Covid-19. (my very simple summary of his statement)
https://twitter.com/megdale1021/status/1299264200909320192?s=20

-Here's a more detailed translation of his statement:
https://twitter.com/axelsandwich/status/1299268013888139264?s=20 -Many thanks to the translators.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzuru has announced that he will not be competing in whatever Grand Prix series is arranged.

Edit - I see Interspectator posted the news while I was writing it out. I'm not surprised - he's been in the forefront of convincing Japanese people to stay safe and take precautions and not do anything to risk the spread, so it makes sense that he would quite literally put his money where his mouth is.

But both the Japanese and Canadian PTB will be very disappointed...

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I doubt he'll be the last to announce that. Now I really hope that ISU somehow arranges that the biggest federations make their Nationals - and dare I hope, regionals and sectionals - available worldwide.

Fourleaf Clover

Rinkside
Country
Philippines
Hanyu is really getting more mature. He used to be so gung-ho with his health. I think he made the right decision.

And the drought drags on and on.......
(~Sigh)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I doubt he'll be the last to announce that. Now I really hope that ISU somehow arranges that the biggest federations make their Nationals - and dare I hope, regionals and sectionals - available worldwide.

Given his stature, it makes sense that he would be the first. And it's very likely that the Russian and Japanese nationals will be accessible with VPNs and/or fans in the countries holding streaming parties.

Hell, if he's now aiming to unleash the 4A at Nationals... half of Japan will spontaneously combust.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan

How about arranging to not have them this year altogether.

Hanyu is really getting more mature. He used to be so gung-ho with his health. I think he made the right decision.

Personally, I think the main reason is not wanting to be a risk to others, not the risk to himself.

Hell, if he's now aiming to unleash the 4A at Nationals... half of Japan will spontaneously combust.

I doubt he would bust that out first at a place where it wouldn't officially "count".
And, as mentioned before, I hope there's no nationals to compete at this year.

MaHa75

On the Ice
I believe the main reason is that he is not trained that well and he is taking this season (at least) first half of it easier.
As Orser said previously that Yuzuru is only one who dont train under him online and has dissapeared.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I doubt he would bust that out first at a place where it wouldn't officially "count".
And, as mentioned before, I hope there's no nationals to compete at this year.

I'm not sure if doing the 4A then would count. Scores don't count towards world records, I know, but is it the same about first times for a new jump?

(I am not saying he will do it, folks! - but he mentioned the 4A only days ago, so we know he still intends to try for it)

I believe the main reason is that he is not trained that well and he is taking this season (at least) first half of it easier.
As Orser said previously that Yuzuru is only one who dont train under him online and has dissapeared.

We know he's training because of the mention of the 4A and he would have the ice he needs at Sendai. You could be right that it hasn't been going as well as normal years (has it for anyone?) but his reasons are sound. If JSF announced that Yuzu would be at NHK, fans would take any risk to attend.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I'm not sure if doing the 4A then would count. Scores don't count towards world records, I know, but is it the same about first times for a new jump?

Jumps also don't count, e.g., Ayaka Hosada has zero internationally recognized triple axels, even though she landed three in Nationals.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He won't be the last one, mark my words.

And unfortunately he's probably right - if he did show up to a GP event there would be probably be Hanyufans who would break restrictions or do unadvisable things to see him.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He won't be the last one, mark my words.

Thing is, I can see quite a few of the ones who have a chance of a medal - and who are looking for any way to get funds in this really difficult year - swallowing their worries and taking the risk. Or, in the case of the younger ones in Russia with eyes on Beijing, worrying about looking bad in the eyes of their Fed and risking their chances next year.

bramweld

Record Breaker

LadyLou

Rinkside
if he did show up to a GP event there would be probably be Hanyufans who would break restrictions or do unadvisable things to see him.
I am a bit at a loss about what happens on this forum, but is Hanyufans the new xxxxxxbot or are we talking about the same Hanyu fans who had bought 4CC tickets but chose not to go, those who went there but dutifully wore their masks and complied with what organizers asked, those who were begging ISU to cancel MontrealWC over health concerns, those who have been repeating ad nauseam how unsafe it is to have international events with audience during a pandemic? I'm confused
Look, no doubt questionable things can happen and have happened sometimes (important note: sometimes), but such a pseudoironic blanket statement on a fandom that since February has shown awareness and responsability about this pandemic >>>>>>> than whole ISU and national feds is truly uncalled for

we're talking about the man who won a OGM on less than two months of training on injured ankle. Even if he started training only now, he still would have plenty of chances to get fit enough by GPs (SC or NHK, it's not like he would have ever gone to SA anyway). Per Orser's words, he "only" needs 6 weeks to peak and even pre-covid his on ice training was "only" a couple hours per day. Of all the skaters, I'd say he's one of those who could reasonably bounce back more "easily" after a hiatus (since he had...lots of personal experience with that). Plus, since he's in Japan: does anyone really believes that, contrary to every other Japan skater who's been back on ice, he still isn't? Or that he can't get enough ice time?
Also, Brian himself said Yuzuru has been planning everything concerning his own training. While I agree that getting feedback from his coaches in person would be prefereable, and while I hope he is consulting with someone, it wouldn't be the first time he manages himself. Without any more info to think otherwise, I wouldn't particularly worry or speculate about his fitness
I do believe Yuzuru when he talks about monitoring what it is known about asthma and covid, and when he raises the issue about going to Canada (unfortunately,international travel is problematic right now, especially from/to certain places), and his concern for people around him, and fans. He's always been aware of what happens around him and very thoughtful of others, and already back in 4CC he had mentioned his concern for the epidemy(it wasn't pandemic yet), so this choice and his statement are consistent with everything he's said and done till now.

I hope ISU & co can have an ounce of responsability and make the right call. As it is, I would not trust them to really care or have proper plans to minimize risks even just for the skaters and teams taking part in a GP.
Even for 4CC, everything was left to Korean organizers and individual responsability. Maybe if ISU had behave differently in early March I would be able to trust their pretty words of concern now (and I'd be reassured by the fact that they cancelled JGP), but it is what it is, and they have a long way to regain some basic trust. Apparently skaters too, have felt kind of abandoned by ISU, so I wonder if they have similar trust issue :eek:hwell: (I remember Lorenzo Magri's words after Montreal cancellation. Keeping teams in the dark till the very last moment was not a cool move)

Last edited:

eliana

On the Ice
Personally, I think the main reason is not wanting to be a risk to others, not the risk to himself.

Yes, this is the Japanese mentality. Respect!

MaHa75

On the Ice
I appologize but i need to say it :)
It is easier decision for athlete who has earn everything in his career than young ones who still try to get to the top...they just dont want to lose possibility...they need to use every opportunity they have. Can you really belive that some youmg athlete who has earn her first gp assigment will announce that because of the situation in the world i will not participate??? No way...only Hanyu and some more can afford it! And according to GP there probably not aloud croud to the rink so no panic at all! I am sorry that at the moment Covid is the only "elite" illness in the world who kills like we do not have any other illness at all.
And you are supporting athletes the worst way by whishing that all competition to be canceled! They need these competition as much as air...so i think ISU is doing a good job when they try to run these event safely! Peace!

theharleyquinn

Medalist
The ISU has given very little information about how the GP will work and whether all of the events will be held. It is very late in the summer. I don't blame him and anyone else who would rather just focus on training and staying safe.

Elspeth

Rinkside
I appologize but i need to say it :)
It is easier decision for athlete who has earn everything in his career than young ones who still try to get to the top...they just dont want to lose possibility...they need to use every opportunity they have. Can you really belive that some youmg athlete who has earn her first gp assigment will announce that because of the situation in the world i will not participate??? No way...only Hanyu and some more can afford it! And according to GP there probably not aloud croud to the rink so no panic at all! I am sorry that at the moment Covid is the only "elite" illness in the world who kills like we do not have any other illness at all.
And you are supporting athletes the worst way by whishing that all competition to be canceled! They need these competition as much as air...so i think ISU is doing a good job when they try to run these event safely! Peace!

I agree with you that I don't think that all competition should be cancelled. It is an easier decision to make for a person in Hanyu's position, but the important thing to remember is that this is his decision.

He didn't say the GP series shouldn't go ahead or that skaters should not compete; he merely listed why he personally doesn't want to compete. He has asthma and is concerned about his health, he doesn't think he can make it work with where he is and where is coaches are, and he doesn't want to risk causing a rise in infections by competing, which is likely to draw a big crowd.

Those are all reasons personal to him and are likely not relevant to your young skater on her first GP assignment. I think the person you are describing should compete to her heart's content if it is safe for her to do so, but what is safe for one athlete might not be safe for another.