Yuzuru Hanyu | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu

Magill

Record Breaker
Interview with Jason Brown where he talks about Yuzuru and his influence:

He said of Hanyu influence on the sport and beyond: “He’s become this force and he's so influential. What he's created and the reach it has... it’s unbelievable. It’s hard to describe why someone has that ‘it’ factor. People are drawn to him.”

“I think I cannot be more grateful to have competed in his era,” Brown added. “And so the fact that I get to continue on and do that professionally, I’m really grateful. What he brings to the sport and the way that he has drawn in such a fan base, my hat's off to him and what he's doing. I cannot wait to see [the show] and be a part of something that he puts together on the professional side.”

Thanks so much for sharing!

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
It's so sweet to see you here, @el henry !

Ticket lottery for the live streaming of GIFT in cinemas (in 46 prefectures out of 47!) will start tomorrow/today 24th, and general sales will be on February 18th. From Fantasy on Ice and Prologue experience, many cinemas were wholly booked at the lottery, but some others (particularly the last added screens in the most sought-after cinema theatres) still had a few free seats. In Yokohama, two friends who had won tickets, one of them for Day 1, the other for Day 2, were waiting in front of the venue when an old woman told them that she had come from a remote prefecture, having no smartphone to register for ticket lotteries, and hoping there would remain a few tickets for sale the day of the show; the friend who had won a ticket for Day 2 knew where was the nearest cinema theatre streaming the show, and guided the old woman there, and there were still a few seats available, so the woman could watch the show.
It's also very good news for the fans who booked a flight as soon as they registered for the first pre-sales lottery, and who have lost at all other lotteries : at least they are more likely to be able to watch the show "live" this way.

Another very good news, is that on February 12th at 7pm (Japan time), TV Asahi will broadcast Prologue in Hachinohe Day 1 for the first time:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The ticket lotteries for GIFT are clearly insane, it appears from online polling that hundreds of thousands of applications may have been received. People have been doing polls of applicants' success rates.

While these are small samples and we'll never know, the fact that they are selling (and there is serious competition for!) seats with imperfect views and all those cinemas being opened up...

I'm glad. I'm also scared for Yuzuru doing this solo show in an even bigger spotlight than ever, but given that he has admitted he wasn't sure he would still have the support after going professional I am glad that fans have shown that they are totallly with him.

Magill

Record Breaker
The ticket lotteries for GIFT are clearly insane, it appears from online polling that hundreds of thousands of applications may have been received. People have been doing polls of applicants' success rates.

While these are small samples and we'll never know, the fact that they are selling (and there is serious competition for!) seats with imperfect views and all those cinemas being opened up...

I'm glad. I'm also scared for Yuzuru doing this solo show in an even bigger spotlight than ever, but given that he has admitted he wasn't sure he would still have the support after going professional I am glad that fans have shown that they are totallly with him.

Yes! I am also happy for him that he's getting this ocean of fans' love after all he's been through and all the doubts and fears he had. I'm sure he's gonna be fine, after all he's Yuzuru Hanyu, and he will be prepared ;)
And the audience is there totally for him, not like he would perform for a hostile or indifferent crowd. They will carry him with their energy if need be. And it is a show, and he is a natural and heavenly performer who loves the spotlight ... so he'll be fine :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, just imagine having 40,000+ fans willing you on.... plus the lighting and effects and musicians and everything, and still being the centre of it all.

Magill

Record Breaker
Yes, just imagine having 40,000+ fans willing you on.... plus the lighting and effects and musicians and everything, and still being the centre of it all.
Yeah, I know, I have imagined it, yeah.... but as he said himself, "if I did not like it being at the centre of attention, I would have chosen some other sport.... " which is probably very true... He loves challenges and what a better challenge for him now than this.
But OTOH, imagine also being amongst and center of those 40,000+ loving souls. What an energy it must be! No wonder it makes him cry in joy and emotions sometimes.
And he knows how to handle pressure and expectations, he's the master of audiences, isn't he?

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker

Of course, most fans will have participated in several drafts, until they get a seat (or not), but on the other hand, more casual fans who want to see him at Tokyo Dome without being engaged in forums or SNS dedicated to him, won't have answered these polls. So, it's difficult to tell how many individuals applied to watch GIFT. But now, I wonder if 83 cinema theatres will be enough. Well, if there are much more applications than seats, they can add more cinema theatres, or more screens for the most demanded.

A new Wikipedia thing: next Monday from 0pm to 12pm (UTC), the notice of his oncoming show at Tokyo Dome will appear on the Did You Know corner of English Wikipedia main page:

Last edited:

Magill

Record Breaker
More and more news and materials come every day related to Yuzuru's involvement in the Great East Japan Earthquake anniversary events and restoration effort, with the planned Notte Stellata show on top of it. Maybe it is a good occasion to share this archive Japan TV news material on Yuzu, aired back then, in 2011, when he was just a 16 years old promising skater from Sendai, giving some perspective and insight into his experiences and actions then and now, leading him to what he does today.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Yuzuru Hanyu's Youtube channel has reached 777,777 subscriptions, with 333 new subscriptions the previous day, and 9k99 subscriptions the previous month!

About the Level 4 for Yuzuru Hanyu's English Wikipedia page, I had missed the number of articles in each category:

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Meanwhile, with the official launch of the 3rd volume of his autobiography scheduled for 02.02 which is just in two days, preparations have already begun and Japanese bookstores get slowly but surely Yuzurized :)

The fourth volume is expected for the Spring.

Also, the General Sales for GIFT at Tokyo Dome are between February 4th and 6th, and will be also a lottery (I think, a Japanese phone number will be required too). I'm still confused as to how many rounds of ticket sales lottery there has been, but I got the impression that there were rather less rounds than what is usual for Tokyo Dome events?

This is a rather old interview, but I think that it hadn't been translated yet: