Kevin Reynolds continues to struggle with skate problems | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kevin Reynolds continues to struggle with skate problems

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I searched the net, and I found out he skated in Skate Canada Autumn event in Barrie, Ontario (mid october). He finished 6. Nam Nguien was second after Ross Minor. Both Kevin programs are on youtube. He is not bad, but quite far away from where he could be...what a pity.

Yeah. 6th place IS better than last.

And I HAD a feeling that something was not going to go right. And I was right. Actually I was wrong cause it was worse than I thought what was going to happen. I feel so bad for him.

I hop and pray so hard he'll do so much better at Skate Canada International.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Yes he skated Autumn Classic which was streaming live (no geo-fencing).
He stepped out on his jumps in the SP, but had a better FS.
If you look at Daily Motion under Skate Canada, all the vid's are archived.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Two years is a long time in skating. No GP's and just hope it works out at Nats. I feel for the guy; hopefully they can figure this out fast- again we don't know the situation physically or is he stuck with this skate company too.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I figured out a solution that could work.

Since I'm a knitter, I know that the toes and heels of socks wear out the fastest. So some knitters put in a reinforcement thread into the toes and heels as they knit it up to make them sturdier.

So my idea is that, maybe, if it's legal, they can make a reinforcement out of a mold. The material will be sturdy. And MAYBE. Just MAYBE. If it's possible to make it and use it, then it can be inserted into the heel in a way that it'll wear down at a slower rate.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think I figured out a solution that could work.

Since I'm a knitter, I know that the toes and heels of socks wear out the fastest. So some knitters put in a reinforcement thread into the toes and heels as they knit it up to make them sturdier.

So my idea is that, maybe, if it's legal, they can make a reinforcement out of a mold. The material will be sturdy. And MAYBE. Just MAYBE. If it's possible to make it and use it, then it can be inserted into the heel in a way that it'll wear down at a slower rate.

CKH, sorry for not responding to your post earlier.

Cool :cool: that your idea originated from your knitting experience :).

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
CKH, sorry for not responding to your post earlier.

Cool :cool: that your idea originated from your knitting experience :).

Aw thanks. :) I just want to help him cause he deserves to skate to his fullest potential.

Do you think it's a good idea?

makaihime

Final Flight
Such a shame....I really thought this season could be the season for him to make his mark since Patrick is out. I'm worried for his future since Patrick said he might come back in 15/16 and then there's Nam who's still growing/improving and looks to be a real threat for the Canadian title.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Such a shame....I really thought this season could be the season for him to make his mark since Patrick is out. I'm worried for his future since Patrick said he might come back in 15/16 and then there's Nam who's still growing/improving and looks to be a real threat for the Canadian title.

I have the same feelings. I'm so mad at the boots. That's why I came up with the solution. Though I don't know how exactly it'll al carry out.

I wish I could have take initiative earlier and think of idea...though he wouldn't have seen them.

Honestly, I'm still trying to hold on hope for Kevin. But I'm scared. VERY VERY SCARED. I want him to have redemption. He's very talented and can be at the top if he has the proper skates.

noskates

Record Breaker
Does anyone think there's more to this than his boots? I mean, come on now!!! An elite skater with some potential (I say some because the performance just isn't there) can't find a boot that will work? Just seems curious to me after ALL this time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I have a suspicion he's been hit with what I call Tim Goebel syndrome: normal skeletal growth that changes the weight and density of the bones. In some skaters (especially those who rely on multiple rotation jumps) this can disrupt balance and subtly change the height requirement to complete the jump. Jump technique no longer works the way it did before.

This happens in the early to mid-20s and changing jump technique at this time may be close to impossible. Another skater who may have been affected by the same thing is Brandon Mroz, who landed a ratified 4Z two years ago but who seems to have dropped out of competitive figure skating since then.

noskates

Record Breaker
Chuck, that makes the most sense of anything I've read in this thread. It just has to be something more than the skates. Oddly, Kevin has somewhat the same slim build that Tim had, too. I think he's taller, which would also add to the skeletal growth issues. It's a shame. It's like some of the girls developing "curves" at a certain age and that throwing their weight balance off.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Please let's not talk down about him.

You can't have it both ways. Here you are getting "mad at the boots" - well, at some point, you have to look at the common denominator. That common denominator is him. I don't believe for a second that all the blame lies with the boots - that all of these custom made boots are the cause of the problem, that all of these very experienced Riedell staff are somehow botching pair after pair of boots and causing issues.

I feel bad for him too, but I don't think it's helping anything to place the blame solely on the boots.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Yes, I have a suspicion he's been hit with what I call Tim Goebel syndrome: normal skeletal growth that changes the weight and density of the bones. In some skaters (especially those who rely on multiple rotation jumps) this can disrupt balance and subtly change the height requirement to complete the jump. Jump technique no longer works the way it did before.

This happens in the early to mid-20s and changing jump technique at this time may be close to impossible. Another skater who may have been affected by the same thing is Brandon Mroz, who landed a ratified 4Z two years ago but who seems to have dropped out of competitive figure skating since then.

Please be patient with me, but I wanna understand.

Shouldn´t all skater go through the same skeletal growth? and what do you mean with rely on multiple rotation jumps, because now that quads are almost a rule wont all skaters have the same trouble?

Thank you in advance.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both Goebel and Reynolds included multiple types of quads in their programs and without the quads, they could not be successful, as neither have been known for great expression and/or musicality.

Also, not all skaters will be affected by changes in bone density that come with maturity. But you do have to wonder if Michal Brezina and Florent Amodio might be experiencing some of these problems. However, both are known for their musicality and presentation skills. Brezina in particular seems to be overcoming some of his difficulties of the past few years.