Yulia Lipnitskaya | Page 191 | Golden Skate

Yulia Lipnitskaya

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you Alba and Sam. I appreciate the info. I am learning a lot today ... :):bow:

If you're really interested in learning the ijs scoring system and how it defines an I-spin here it is. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

CCoSp3p4

Changefoot Combination Spin 3 positions level 4

There are only three positions that can be achieved in a combination spin. She gets Camel, sit, and upright. She starts with a camel followed by cannonball w/ variation followed by a change foot into an upright which is her I-spin. The reason she got a level two in her SP was because she dropped a millisecond early on the camel into the canonball just short of four revolutions so it didn't satisfy the required four revolutions needed to achieve the level.

Got that? :bang: Anyone care to correct my analysis?
I
Allegedly if you fail to meet requirements there is supposed to be a V1 or V2 added at the end. Like this. CCoSp3p4V1 but I haven't seen one yet to see what exactly it means. I think it means a reduced BV and maybe negative GOE but if Anna P or Serafima didn't get it then I'm not sure how or where it will ever be applied :laugh:

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Allegedly if you fail to meet requirements there is supposed to be a V1 or V2 added at the end. Like this. CCoSp3p4V1 but I haven't seen one yet to see what exactly it means. I think it means a reduced BV and maybe negative GOE but if Anna P or Serafima didn't get it then I'm not sure how or where it will ever be applied :laugh:

Wagner in her free had FCCoSp2p3V1. 1.80 BV, total score 2.30

Yulia just updated her VK profile picture with the same photo. As far as I know, this is the first time she includes anyone else in her profile picture. She must like Ilinykh a lot! :clap:

How Ilinykh spoke about her yesterday I thought I was crying. :love:

Apparently, from what I heard Yulia was loyal to her, if you know what I mean. ;) So, Elena must've really appreciated that.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here are the rules for applying V1 and V2

Spins
1) For flying spins (with no change of foot and only one position) of both Short Program and Free Skating the following are required: a) a clear visible jump; for Junior Short Program only it’s also required for the skater to reach the prescribed air position; b) basic landing position must be reached within the first 2 revs after the landing and from the moment this position is initially reached it must be held for 2 revs after the landing. The sign “V1” indicates that one of these requirements is not fulfilled, sign “V2“ indicates that both these requirement are not
fulfilled.
2) For any spin with change of foot: at least one basic position on each foot is required. Sign “V1“ indicates that this
requirement is not fulfilled.
The base values of spins with the sign “V1“ are listed in the column V1 of the SOV table. The base values of spins
with the sign “V2“ are listed in the column V2 of the SOV table. The base values of spin combinations with 2 or 3
basic positions (at least 2 revolutions in each of these positions) are reflected in the SOV.

This stuff makes my head spin :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker
There is this link, in russian, that Jagger posted in ladies topic. http://forum.fsonline.ru/index.php?/topic/1188-прыжки-ттх-и-прочее/

I tried to make some sense with google translation but I couldn't. Fortunately CarneAsada explained the whole thing better in english. So I thought to copy her post here because it looks interesting. Although I still don't know how this metodology works.

Seems like they took video with 25 fps and they calculated jump height in cm using 0.5*g*(frames/25)[SUP]2[/SUP] - assumed gravitational acceleration of -10 m/(s*s) although this is a slight overestimation (~2%). Someone on this forum also ran video files through MATLAB to calculate jump height using similar methodology. For anyone who wants to know the breakdown of each jump from 2A through 3A, here it is.

3Axel
: Мао, 18 frames air time (0.72s, 63.6cm)

Lutz: 1-5. Tuktamysheva, Yuna, Pogorilaya, Gold, Adelina all tied at 16 frames (0.64s); 6. Carolina; 7-9. Lipnitskaya, Мао, Radionova (14.5 frames); 10. Miyahara; 11. Wagner (doesn't know how/unable).

Flip: 1. Carolina (2nd highest jump after Asada's 3A, 16.5 frames or 0.66s); 2-4. Tuktamysheva, Мао, Adelina; 5. Yuna; 6. Lipnitskaya (14.5 frames); 7-9. Gold, Wagner, Pogorilaya; 10. Radionova (13.5 frames); 11 Miyahara.

Loop: 1. Adelina; 2-3. Мао, Carolina; 4-5. Tuktamysheva, Pogorilaya; 6-7. Gold, Wagner; 8-9. Lipnitskaya, Radionova (13.5 frames); 10. Miyahara; 11. Yuna (doesn't know how/unable)

Salchow: 1. Мао; 2. Carolina; 3-5. Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaya (14 frames), Sotnikova; 6-7. Yuna, Gold; 8-10. Radionova (12.5 frames), Wagner, Pogorilaya; 11. Miyahara.

Toe Loop: 1. Lipnitskaya (15.5 frames); 2-3. Mao, Adelina; 4-5. Tuktamysheva, Yuna; 6. Carolina; 7. Pogorilaya; 8. Gold; 9. Radionova (12.5 frames); 10 Wagner; 11 Miyahara.

2A: 1-2. Tuktamysheva, Mao; 3. Adelina; 4. Yuna; 5-7. Gold, Wagner, Pogorilaya; 8-9. Lipnitskaya (13.5 frames), Carolina; 10. Radionova (12.5 frames); 11. Miyahara.

Data for Caro, Yuna, Mao, and Adelina were all taken from the Individual Olympic FS. Radionova/Gold from the 2013 Skate America FS. Pogo/Wagner/Satoko from the 2013 Skate Canada FS. Tukt/Julia from 2013 CoC FS, except Julia's Flip was taken from the short and her Lutz was taken from the Team Olympic FS (?).

Note that none of the data are from this season so the exact numbers might be a little out of date for this year's GPF. I was surprised to see Mao's Salchow higher than everyone else's considering its reputation for inconsistency, and I wouldn't have guessed that Carolina's 3F was higher than any of the 3Lutzes. Seeing Miyahara consistently in last place is a little depressing though not surprising; she never gets above 0.50s of air time (31cm).

That Liza is tied with Mao on 2A height sounds promising for her chances to master the 3A if she puts the time into it (time she might not consider worthwhile). As for the Lip vs. Radio discussion, Julia jumps consistently higher than Elena except on the Lutz and Loop where they are tied. Radionova does have better technique but so far it seems she is getting by through rotation speed, she's only consistently ahead of Miyahara on jump height so if she grows bigger, I'm unsure of how long she'll keep all her jumps. RE Pogo and Wagner, Pogo matches up with the best of them on the Lutz and is usually middle-high in this comparison so I think her prospects aren't too bad. Wagner's jumping never really impressed me so I don't have much to say about her.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
I think Vanishilar said he use MATLAB.

I'm curious to know if he has done something like this. :think:

Yamita

On the Ice
There is this link, in russian, that Jagger posted in ladies topic. http://forum.fsonline.ru/index.php?/topic/1188-прыжки-ттх-и-прочее/

I tried to make some sense with google translation but I couldn't. Fortunately CarneAsada explained the whole thing better in english. So I thought to copy her post here because it looks interesting. Although I still don't know how this metodology works.

Seems like they took video with 25 fps and they calculated jump height in cm using 0.5*g*(frames/25)2 - assumed gravitational acceleration of -10 m/(s*s) although this is a slight overestimation (~2%). Someone on this forum also ran video files through MATLAB to calculate jump height using similar methodology. For anyone who wants to know the breakdown of each jump from 2A through 3A, here it is.
Wow, I am surprised to see those familiar formulas in this forum. I program in MATLAB for engineering/scientific purposes. It is a programming language/platform but not a software specifically designed for figure skating. Did they mention if they share their program to the public? I am very curious ... :think:

Last edited:

Yamita

On the Ice
If you're really interested in learning the ijs scoring system and how it defines an I-spin here it is. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

CCoSp3p4

Changefoot Combination Spin 3 positions level 4

There are only three positions that can be achieved in a combination spin. She gets Camel, sit, and upright. She starts with a camel followed by cannonball w/ variation followed by a change foot into an upright which is her I-spin. The reason she got a level two in her SP was because she dropped a millisecond early on the camel into the canonball just short of four revolutions so it didn't satisfy the required four revolutions needed to achieve the level.

Got that? :bang: Anyone care to correct my analysis?

So let me try this: The score for Yulia's final spin in her SP at GPF is

CCoSp2p4 with Base Value:2.50, GOE:1.14, Judges:3,3,2,2,2,2,3,2,2. So the total score for the element is 3.64
(source: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1415/gpf1415_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf)

Notice that 6 out of the 9 judges only gave her a 2. Could this be the reason of Eteri's complaint because Yulia actually did a more difficult spin? Am I making sense?

Last edited:

Yamita

On the Ice
... and why is it a CCoSp2? It looks like a CCoSp3 to me.:scratch:

Edit: My bad again. Alba already answered those questions.
There is a category for her I spin. It's her last spin (CCoSp - [SIZE=-1]Change Combination Spin) level 4, and[/SIZE] she gets all +3 in GoE's for that spin. Maybe not all judges give her +3, and not always. But never below 2 in anycase and the majority of them gives her +3
In the SP in Barcelona she lost a level on her fist position, camel spin. That's the only time she got all +2 GoE, except for 2 judges who gave her +1, because her free knee is below hip level when she completes the 3-turn and first starts the spin. Therefore instead of 5 points like in the LP, she got 3.64 in SP.

This is the terminology for spins that might help.
http://www.skatingaheadofthecurve.com/Spins.html
but I did not understand it earlier. ... still reading and learning ... and thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Wow, I am surprised to see those familiar formulas in this forum. I program in MATLAB for engineering/scientific purposes. It is a programming language/platform but not a software specifically designed for figure skating. Did they mention if they share their program to the public? I am very curious ... :think:

I don't think so, but I really don't know. It's in that forum but it's in russian.

I am really wonder about the men. :dance: DO they have any calculation about the men?

I have no idea. :think: Anyway, not in that topic.

grantrf98

On the Ice
Beautiful!!! At first I didn't like the color but wow... The costume is growing on me.

This is probably redundant but it needs to be stated again:

One of the many reasons why Yulia is my favorite is because of the intricacies and details of every movement of every second she's on the ice. Truly amazing!