Jason Brown | Page 145 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

LRK

Record Breaker
Yes. All I want to say to folks is, "Please step forward if you led a absolutely charmed life with no setbacks or adversary ever." I mean anyone who has ever had a goal or career should know better. Alas, this is human nature. You are only as good as your last competition. Adam is being written off yet again, just weeks after all those same people argued he should have won.

Also I want to say the whole "his 3a is always UR!" meme is getting really old. Last three competitions: ratification was 7/9 (UR at nationals FS and 4CC sp). In the SP, it was just UR just once - at 4CC. The FS stat is worse, 6/10. Overall 10/15. This means he hits it 2 out of 3 times or URs it once out of three times. It could be better, but ithe odds shows he's more apt to hit it than not. And odds are growing in his favor -- 4 of 5 of those URs were from earlier in the season.

ETA: I agree WA, that Jason has been raised well. A :clap: for Jason's parents. I hope I can raise a kid as genuine and intellegent as Jason!

So true, Mrs P! And people never learn... well, the thing is, those so busy pointing fingers and criticising never seem to have the time to take even a cursory glance in their own direction - and therefore aren't even aware of having made a mistake... and thus keep repeating it again... and again... and again... ad infinitum.

Just to note that I have not given up on Adam. :) Nor have I ever wavered - nor will I - in my faith that Jason, in his own good time, will get the quad.

But I'm no fair weather fan - and as a Brian fan I've been up and down more often than an elevator (well, not quite - but you get the picture!:)) - so I'm used to it.:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So true, Mrs P! And people never learn... well, the thing is, those so busy pointing fingers and criticising never seem to have the time to take even a cursory glance in their own direction - and therefore aren't even aware of having made a mistake... and thus keep repeating it again... and again... and again... ad infinitum.

Just to note that I have not given up on Adam. :) Nor have I ever wavered - nor will I - in my faith that Jason, in his own good time, will get the quad.

But I'm no fair weather fan - and as a Brian fan I've been up and down more often than an elevator (well, not quite - but you get the picture!:)) - so I'm used to it.:)

Skaters are lucky to have fans like you, LRK! :)

I just wanted to note something re: the quad attempt. While there was a bit of stalking right before the jump, Jason DOES actually try to honor the rule of putting steps in a solo jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHyOMa6iL0M#t=53s

He does like 3 crossovers, but then does a bunch of steps before the three turn into the 4T. Some of the skaters don't bother and for good reason. You're supposed deduct -GOE for not doing steps, but they usually don't.

This sort of attitude is what has served him well. They could have easily focused on just getting the 4T done, but no, if they're going to integrate it into the program, they want to do it right.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'm thinking... Is there any chance Jason will add the quad in the SP at WC?

Maybe he'd risk it if the spots for next year wouldn't be on the line but only his own placement. But the way that it is - I doubt it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Maybe he'd risk it if the spots for next year wouldn't be on the line but only his own placement. But the way that it is - I doubt it.

I doubt it also. They kept saying he wants to peak at Worlds, so having a relatively unsteady element does not promote this.

But first --- time for sightseeing! https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/567331734459400192

I'm impressed -- and exhausted -- at how much they did in one day. They went to an amusement park (Lotte World maybe?), a Korean sauna (the outfits in the bottom left corner is a giveaway) and ate a lot! Whew.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I really hadn't considered this.

US Placements are hardly secure enough that he could go for broke with an iffy element without serious consideration.

Now... if Josh and Adam have already skated their SP and have great placements/scores... and not too many big guns are coming after he skates... maybe he would.

I would think that at this stage of their developments, and considering the number of strong American men, USFSA would be sending all three American men a strong signal: First priority is three spots for next year. If the chance at individual glory comes along the way, it's a bonus.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the strategy was to make a new layout to seem easier. I think they will keep at least the new layout, which has the 3F-3T in the second half.

Jason had gotten so used to the previous SP layout: 3A, 3F-3T, 3Z(x), that he needed something to push him out of his comfort zone. Doing a 4T solo jump out of steps will make his usually solid 3Z look like a piece of cake.

By putting the 3F-3T in the second half, he has a net gain of .34 in BV (38.44 v. 38.10, which he got at Trophee Eric Bompard with all level 4 spins).

His PB in TES is 45.98, from Trophee Eric Bompard last year. I think they want to get to close to 50 as possible without a quad. That layout with some steller +GOE would help him gain a point or two.

He will likely need an 86+ to get into the top six. He did that at the Olympics without a quad (and skating relatively early). They want to peak at Worlds and I think that means bringing for the best skills/performance as possible.

I think Kori knew that it wouldn't do good for Jason to do two all-out performances at 4CC when he has to compete at Worlds in six weeks, so she had him go in a different direction to be challenged, but at the same time not go all out.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
TSL has their 4CC recap up. They spend about 15 minutes discussing what a huge error it was for Kori to have Jason attempt the quad right now. I think it starts at about the 20 minute mark. I'm not sure I agree. Be interested to know what you guys think.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
TSL has their 4CC recap up. They spend about 15 minutes discussing what a huge error it was for Kori to have Jason attempt the quad right now. I think it starts at about the 20 minute mark. I'm not sure I agree. Be interested to know what you guys think.

I probably won't listen, as I haven't all season.

That said, I would agree with them ... if the end goal was to get a medal at 4CC and then retire afterwards. Or if 4CC spots for next year were based on performance (which it isn't). And reallly, all in all, he still managed to get 6th behind five really strong skates (or for Uno, one really, really strong skate). The only main contender he passed was Mura. Even if he got 86 (his score in the Olympics sans quad) 86+167= 253, which would still put him in 6th place or maybe if he scored a little higher he'd pass Uno for 5th. But the top 3 guys were just solid throughout, as was Murakami.

4CC, IMO, was perfect to try it and get it out there.

Last edited:

salchowx4

On the Ice

Not going to watch that, but my thoughts:

Jason's future success depends on getting the quad. Period. If his mind is such that putting it in competition when it is still early/not really ready will help achieve that, then it is a smart move. It may not be the choice we think we'd make if we were making the decisions, but we are not in his coach's shoes, so our information is limited.

If he had left it out, he would have had a better result and been closer to his main American competitor Joshua, sure, but that only matters in the very short term. Josh's reputation will definitely go up as a result of the 4CC placement and Jason's may go down slightly, but that will only last so long. If Jason gets a consistent quad, he will be competitive with the top men. If he doesn't, he won't be. That is what will matter in the years to come.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I watched TSLs recap, and really it's... they're getting low enough to talk about how he needs to cut his hair again to look mature :rolleye: Every time someone gets to that comment I kind of end up bagging all of their opinions together as, let's say, unnecessary.
Or things like: for him it was about being great at 4CC, than being great at worlds. But no reason given. (and for Adam it apparently wasn't?) Honestly, if he does great at worlds, nobody will care about 4CC. If he messes up at worlds, a good 4CC showing wouldn't have helped him either.
Then there's the whole "he needs to hope for others to make mistakes" blabla... but hey, Dave also said Gracie needs to change coaches or that DTen could win worlds over Hanyu because he has the consistency. I give up with these two :biggrin:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
In defense of TSL, they also were saying that Gracie should ditch Frank and go to Kori, so their opinion of team Koro i still rather high.

They are looking at too small a picture. They tried the quad here because it was the best no consequence ISU competition to try it at. No I don't think Neilbelhorn or Skate America would have been better times to try his first quad.

This quad attempt was about getting it done and out of the way so people are less interested in him trying it next time.

LRK

Record Breaker
The more I think on it, the more I think making the quad attempt now was a good idea - I think that it has changed Jason's attitude to it. That moment of transcendence Mrs P mentioned - and his comments afterwards. I don't know, of course, quite how he viewed the quad before - but, with all the baggage it has had with it, there must have been at least some negative associations with it. Making it a hurdle, a nuisance, something that has to be done. But from his comments now, I feel that he now views it as a challenge - a challenge that he is eager to overcome, and that he feels he can conquer. As he said, no it was not a good quad attempt - but he knows he can do better. Next time - he will.:)