French Fed is refusing to release Bruno Massot | Golden Skate

French Fed is refusing to release Bruno Massot

s_parks

Record Breaker
Gailhaguet is really determined to make the French fed the worst in the skating world, isn't he. (Oh wait, he's probably already done that...)
seriously, there should be a way to override stupid decisions like this. What a waste of potential if massot is never going to be released.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sigh. I posted about this last year. I really hope they understand the rules.

The official rules state that if Bruno has lived in Germany for over a year and applied for citizenship (not even obtained it, but merely applied), then he is allowed to skate for Germany. There is NOTHING that the French federation can do to physically stop Bruno for competing for Germany, if he has fulfilled this requirement. The French fed can rant and moan and try to tell Germany not to fund him and try to tell judges to score them lower, but they can not stop Bruno from competing for Germany.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
If anyone is interested, Massot's mother's original Facebook post in French appears to be here:

via Stars de la Glisse Française

It sounds like the situation is kind of dire for them because they can't earn money from skating in shows. People have always said Gailhaguet gives his skaters poor support and I'm guessing Mrs.Massot is calling them out on it. He would rather skaters waste away then have them skate for someone else. That is not what this sport is about...

Tanka

On the Ice

The official rules state that if Bruno has lived in Germany for over a year and applied for citizenship (not even obtained it, but merely applied), then he is allowed to skate for Germany. There is NOTHING that the French federation can do to physically stop Bruno for competing for Germany, if he has fulfilled this requirement. The French fed can rant and moan and try to tell Germany not to fund him and try to tell judges to score them lower, but they can not stop Bruno from competing for Germany.

It's not so easy to apply for German Citizenship, there's a long list of requirement (like 7 or 8 years of permanent residence, etc). The applications cannot be sent without meeting the requirements. And Bruno isn't a World champion yet to hope for special treatment.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It sounds like the situation is kind of dire for them because they can't earn money from skating in shows. People have always said Gailhaguet gives his skaters poor support and I'm guessing Mrs.Massot is calling them out on it. He would rather skaters waste away then have them skate for someone else. That is not what this sport is about...

I agree! Politics at play? I'll never understand the way certain people/groups operate. What is good for you is good for me right. Except in certain circles. Just my opinion mind you but this type of thing hurts more than just the skaters involved but everyone who invests in figure skating.

Spiral

Final Flight
I can't remember Gailhaguet as an athlete, but if he never impersonated Count Almaviva, he missed the opportunity to play the role of his lifetime. He seems determined to rule the French FS as if we weren't living in the 21st century and feodalism hadn't breathed its last a long time ago.

It's not so easy to apply for German Citizenship, there's a long list of requirement (like 7 or 8 years of permanent residence, etc). The applications cannot be sent without meeting the requirements. And Bruno isn't a World champion yet to hope for special treatment.
But Alyona is, and it's not like world champions are waiting in line to apply for German citizenship (or maybe in other sports they are?). This year they didn't have anyone get into the top 10 in any of the FS disciplines at Worlds or into GPF, and considering that Savchenko couldn't find a partner in Germany, they could well have made an exception for Massot.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France

That duration of residence is not absolutely required. It's up to the discretion of the government. Given that Aliona is one of the top athletes in Germany, and that they as a pair could easily be argued to be THE best figure skating pairs team available to Germany (since the German pair that competed at Worlds last season was only able to manage 15th place), Bruno should be perfectly eligible to apply for citizenship. I don't know how well he has learned the German language, but I'm assuming he must have delved into it since they planned to skate for Germany and he would need to obtain citizenship within a few years for the Olympics.

Tanka

On the Ice
But Alyona is, and it's not like world champions are waiting in line to apply for German citizenship (or maybe in other sports they are?). This year they didn't have anyone get into the top 10 in any of the FS disciplines at Worlds or into GPF, and considering that Savchenko couldn't find a partner in Germany, they could well have made an exception for Massot.

That duration of residence is not absolutely required. It's up to the discretion of the government. Given that Aliona is one of the top athletes in Germany, and that they as a pair could easily be argued to be THE best figure skating pairs team available to Germany (since the German pair that competed at Worlds last season was only able to manage 15th place), Bruno should be perfectly eligible to apply for citizenship. I don't know how well he has learned the German language, but I'm assuming he must have delved into it since they planned to skate for Germany and he would need to obtain citizenship within a few years for the Olympics.

I wish it could be as you say. I just think that if it were so easy they'd have already done it...

On the other hand I can understand if the German officials don't grant citizenship to every potential athlete. If Aliona and Bruno have already attended a couple of events and proved their strength as a pair (which is impossible, I know) the application might be easier.

I'm just so angry with the French Fed, I try to be optimistic but fail.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I wish it could be as you say. I just think that if it were so easy they'd have already done it...

On the other hand I can understand if the German officials don't grant citizenship to every potential athlete. If Aliona and Bruno have already attended a couple of events and proved their strength as a pair (which is impossible, I know) the application might be easier.

Aliona has been through the process herself, so they should have some idea what it entails for an athlete. Granted, things may have gotten a bit stricter since she applied for citizenship (prior to 2009 there was no language test, for example), but I can't imagine they wouldn't have consulted with a lawyer already, at least. I know that Germans do not like to bend rules but if Aliona and Nelli were able to become citizens in just a few years, it must be possible. However, Bruno has only been there for just over a year , and I don't think he has much of a track record that would work in his favor. It's kind of a vicious circle that they are stuck in.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

BoP, Then would this also apply to Tiffany Zahorski (whom the French fed also refused to release) who is living in Russia, and who wants to skate for Russia with Jonathon Guerreiro? She has been in Russia for about a year or so.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Is there any place in which to appeal Feds' decisions? Any arbitration for skaters?

Has anyone ever taken a Fed to court? I would think these arbitrary decisions are against some of the EU work regulations. Surely it is impinging on the right to work across countries in the EU. Or this may be me being clueless legally. ;-)

ETA: I was thinking like how the Bosman ruling changed football transfers.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France

We shouldn't take for granted that someone is fully aware of all their options, particularly someone who is being bullied/oppressed. I'm not saying it's "easy", but it can feasibly be done. The easiest method would be for France to simply release Bruno. If they won't, then there is another path to take.

If Aliona and Bruno have already attended a couple of events and proved their strength as a pair (which is impossible, I know) the application might be easier.

Aliona and Bruno could compete in a non-ISU competition and provide documentation of skating officials vouching for how well they could score in official competition. Also, as a 5-time world champ and multiple Olympic medalist, Aliona's own judgement in picking a partner should carry heavy weight. All they need is to get the application accepted. He doesn't need to obtain the citizenship itself.

Mattieu

Medalist
Aliona and Bruno could compete in a non-ISU competition and provide documentation of skating officials vouching for how well they could score in official competition. Also, as a 5-time world champ and multiple Olympic medalist, Aliona's own judgement in picking a partner should carry heavy weight. All they need is to get the application accepted. He doesn't need to obtain the citizenship itself.

Bruno cannot do non-ISU competitions without permission from the FFSG (rule 102). The FFSG is refusing to give permission for Bruno to do either galas or non-ISU competitions.

Last edited:

Tanka

On the Ice
On the other hand, the French Fed has been known for its stubbornness for years, and Aliona and Bruno are not naive kids. They should have a plan B.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Bruno cannot do non-ISU competitions without permission from the FFSG (rule 102). The FFSG is refusing to give permission for Bruno to do either galas or non-ISU competitions.
:unsure: strong slap to Didier Gailhaguet :no:

Mattieu

Medalist
:unsure: strong slap to Didier Gailhaguet :no:

It seems that DG thinks he can force them to skate for France by making it impossible for them to skate for Germany.
Way to go Didier, treating them in this harsh way is really going to make them want to skate for anyone else but France.