Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 99 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Jason Brown's choreographer, Rohene Ward, is known for this.
Yup, and according to interviews he's done he is apparently capable of doing a Lutz Lutz combination where he jumps off of the outside edge of the first jumps landing edge (so it's two jumps in combination with opposite rotational directions!!) . Really want to see that executed!! Haha

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Stephane Lambiel could spin & jump in both directions. Ilia Klimkin was able to spin in both directions as well.

mikaboo

Medalist
I saw that Wakaba Higuchi can spin in both directions (but only jumps counterclockwise).

I didn't know that Wakaba could spin in both directions. Is there a video of it?

Satoko Miyahara can spin in both directions because she used to be a clockwise jumper when she began skating in the US. They "fixed" it when she came back to Japan because the rinks are too crowded to be jumping in the opposite direction to other skaters and can lead to accidents.

Takahiko Kozuka could jump the axel in both directions as a novice skater.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I didn't know that Wakaba could spin in both directions. Is there a video of it?

Satoko Miyahara can spin in both directions because she used to be a clockwise jumper when she began skating in the US. They "fixed" it when she came back to Japan because the rinks are too crowded to be jumping in the opposite direction to other skaters and can lead to accidents.

Takahiko Kozuka could jump the axel in both directions as a novice skater.

Satoko's final combination spin is currently spun in both directions, she switches after the second position, I love it

mrrice

Record Breaker
Before I started dancing professionally, in most of my Jazz and Ballet classes, we were trained to turn in both directions and leap or Jete on both sides. However, once I started touring we basically turned the way the choreographer preferred and never even attempted the other side. I will say that it does take time to get the other side back after you've been turning a certain direction for six months or more.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I was never an advanced-level dancer or an advanced skater. But I did find when I was taking ballet in high school after a couple years of skating that my pirouettes were probably better technically in the direction that was not as comfortable for me to rotate on the ice. Probably because I was using technique and not natural feeling to make the rotation happen.

And also that with both pirouettes and other fairly quick turns on the floor, and 180-degree turns on the ice (especially the threes I learned as a kid), the difference in comfort level between the "good" and "bad" direction is much less than the difference between spins or rotational jumps on the ice. I think that's because of the much greater effect of centrifugal force on the ice.

Some people are more naturally ambidextrous (or the equivalent word for rotation) than others.

If skating training required or greatly rewarded quick rotation in both directions, we'd probably see more skaters learning to spin and jump in both directions, doing double jumps and camel spins equally well both ways.

But the really fast rotation used in most upright spins would weed out the less ambidextrous skaters early on. And since double axel is already the point where most skaters can't make the cut to elite levels, requiring that level of rotation in both directions would probably narrow the field down to very few people indeed.

mrrice

Record Breaker
You know, the other thing I forgot to mention concerning Dance/ Skating, is spotting!!! In dance class, I can remember my teacher clapping her hands and screaming "Spot, Spot, spot!" During our triple turns. I think Jeffery Buttle is the only skater I've seen who really never stopped spotting once he became an elite level skater. I'm sure there are more if anyone has other examples.

^ Keven Van Der Perron was famous for spotting on jumps. I think he may have overcome the habit when he took on quads.

I believe that it is not possible to spot on spins -- too fast, right? I'm not sure why figure skaters don't get dizzy. I guess tyhe get used to it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I believe that it is not possible to spot on spins -- too fast, right? I'm not sure why figure skaters don't get dizzy. I guess tyhe get used to it.

Correct. In fact, When I started skating I'd already been dancing for a couple of years and I remember our coach telling me to..........

"Let your eyes go up into your head and breathe" that will help you to stop spotting and spin faster.

NOT what your ballet teacher wants to hear! :mad: I'm sure I drove her crazy during my short attempt at skating.;) It sure was fun though.

gourry

Final Flight
I have a question! ...hopefully not stupid.
Is ballet helpful for skating?

Okay, of course it is, I know. It helps with lines, turnout, toe-pointing, etc. I know. But I read over-turnout actually hinders certain elements like camel spins or jumps.
Toe pointing is pretty, but I don't see it helps jumps. Maybe I'm wrong but I think ballerinas do more of split jumps than rotating jumps like skaters. (I know ballerinos do.)
So I guess my real question is, is ballet helpful for figure skating jumps especially for ladies?
Are there other sports that would benefit jumps? How about martial arts?

Layback11

Record Breaker
I have a question! ...hopefully not stupid.
Is ballet helpful for skating?

Okay, of course it is, I know. It helps with lines, turnout, toe-pointing, etc. I know. But I read over-turnout actually hinders certain elements like camel spins or jumps.
Toe pointing is pretty, but I don't see it helps jumps. Maybe I'm wrong but I think ballerinas do more of split jumps than rotating jumps like skaters. (I know ballerinos do.)
So I guess my real question is, is ballet helpful for figure skating jumps especially for ladies?
Are there other sports that would benefit jumps? How about martial arts?

Not a stupid question at all!

Well, for one thing, it helps with lower-body strength, and that's absolutely critical for jumping. For another, posture is very important in all areas of skating, and ballet helps a lot with that (I started ballet to improve my posture and lines, and it worked!). And any jumping-even non-rotational jumps-helps you develop the muscles you need to get better height.

As for sports that help with jumps, I'd guess:

1) High jump, because of the sheer height you need to jump to-it'd get your jumps really big.

2) Track & field, mostly hurdles-for the same reason as high jump.

Lastly, 3) Gymnastics, because of the incredible lower-body strength you have to have to do it.

nieves

On the Ice
I think toe pointing certainly helps with jumps- that's how skaters can vault so high up into the air (among other things). I remember when I was learning jumps my coach told me I wasn't rolling up into my toe before I left the the ice and thus couldn't make the rotation as easily. Also you land jumps on the toe and roll down, not on a flat blade.