Up and coming: Young You | Golden Skate

Up and coming: Young You

andyjo24

Medalist
Young You (11 years old) just won the Novice round of the Asian Open Trophy competition. She can already do 3LZ+3T and 3F+3T! Her skating skills are extremely solid, and her speed is fast!

So what do you guys think? I know she's still young, so it's difficult to tell, but does she have potential to become the next figure skating star in Korea? I want to hear your thoughts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT29sp5zo6w

Thanks for the post. Not only can she jump up a storm, but she's fast, too, and in complete control of her program. Very impressive.

begin

Medalist
Wow, what a talent! I really like that her program and style isn't too Yuna-esque (as a lot of the young Korean ladies and their programs tend to be).

Here's to hoping she has a great team to bring her to her potential!

s_parks

Record Breaker
While I don't like the "next Yuna Kim" phrase(though especially coming from Korea, I know it can't be helped), she is indeed promising. Who's her coach? Hopefully not Ji Hyun Jung.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^who is YY's coach? is her coach the same one as SoYoun's ? who is Ji Hyun Jung, Soyoun's coach?
BTW, regarding YY. when I saw a talent like this, I go :jaw:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Young You (11 years old) just won the Novice round of the Asian Open Trophy competition. She can already do 3LZ+3T and 3F+3T! Her skating skills are extremely solid, and her speed is fast!

So what do you guys think? I know she's still young, so it's difficult to tell, but does she have potential to become the next figure skating star in Korea? I want to hear your thoughts!

Lovely young skater and original program. Where is this music from? Kind of remind me of the ost for life of Pi. (Her outfit also kind of remind me of something born out of Mao's NYC central park Scherazade costume merged with Kostner's Scheherazade Cerulean blue version and then voila!!). Potential big talent for Korea, but honestly it is FAR too early to call her the next great anyone. It is better to simply be the next Young You of Korea than become the next who and who. Young need to survive growing spurts first and most of all- the grueling training conditions in Korea, and lack of big name International coaches and hopefully avoid injuries. But then they have a great champion that seems keen and generous to help and with the 2 winter Olympics to be hosted in Asia, it means bit more support for a few years. With good results, hopefully it lasts beyond the 8 years.

Actually I am also amazed by#2 Ye Rim Kim (seems a little bit Lizijun / moon river influence?) and in particularly #3 Moa Iwano from Japan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7QmoStJFkM

:jaw: I had always figured Wilson originally picked this horrid sound effect score from Hammer B-Movie as bit of a joke to showcase a 'screaming queen' to counter balance the popularism and lyricism of Les Mis. Never would I imagine after 2013 to see anyone would want to do 'kiss of the vampire' again. Let alone so soon from a girl from Japan. Art really has no boarders. Imagine that! Rather touching I must say :)

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I saw this video earlier and immediately thought that this girl might be Korea's next superstar skater. Her interpretive abilities at such a young age are impressive. Her style is very different from Kim and the other wannabe Kim skaters.

Eclair

Medalist

While I have been following her developement because she seems to be a raw talent, I don't think such early exposure to hype is going to help Young You.

I have seen so many promising skaters never skating up to their potential, being labeled the next .... .
She should find her own style and be herself, playing to her strenghts and polishing her talent.
Let's give her some time before hyping her up.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
She's got really great speed, she'll be one to look out for but she won't be the next Yuna Kim but she'll be the first Young You. Her 3Lo looks good and her edges look good for the 3Lz and 3F, I'll defnitely look out for her over the next few years

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People will tear me apart for this but I think the next Yuna Kim will not be compared to anyone that preceded her. Yuna was herself 100% and I think that's what makes a great superstar. That's kind of how it works IMO. We're people saying Yuna would be the next Michelle because I don't think in the end that would be very accurate. :think:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
While I don't like the "next Yuna Kim" phrase(though especially coming from Korea, I know it can't be helped), she is indeed promising. Who's her coach? Hopefully not Ji Hyun Jung.

I agree. Why can't these skater's be a "Phoenix Rises From The Ice!" Or, "A Comet Speeds Across Ice" and dazzles the crowd. The "Next Yuna" label leaves her without her own identity. In fact, I just forgot her name and have to look again. See how fast it happens. ;) Young You. What a great name.

Last edited:

begin

Medalist
People will tear me apart for this but I think the next Yuna Kim will not be compared to anyone to anyone that preceded her. Yuna was herself 100% and I think that's what makes a great superstar. That's kind of how it works IMO. We're people saying Yuna would be the next Michelle because I don't think in the end that would be very accurate. :think:

I don't think anyone believes in a Yuna 2.0 happening. In Korea, the title "the next Yuna Kim" is totally clickbait and just refers to any Korean rising star in figure skating. Trust me when I say no one wants a clone replacement of the original ;)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think anyone believes in a Yuna 2.0 happening. In Korea, the title "the next Yuna Kim" is totally clickbait and just refers to any Korean rising star in figure skating. Trust me when I say no one wants a clone replacement of the original ;)

I'm still waiting for the first Yunia Kimnitskaya. Two of my absolute favorites combined into one amazing package that I can go uber silly over :yes:

I'm not holding my breath for Yumao Kimsada. That would be too much and CoP would fail on all levels :laugh:

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I totally would not mind the "next ..." phrase. Just a way how media works these days.
Even if young skaters learn from Yuna's skating (she has great skills why not and I bet many are), Nobody will become clone of somebody else. And every one WILL has their unique quality.

andyjo24

Medalist
Hahahaha. Sorry guys!

I was actually debating whether to put Yu-na in the title, but even knowing that people will rip me apart, I just couldn't help it! Ahh. I'm regretting it now! :slink:

I definitely do NOT want Young Yoo to be 100% Yu-na. As people have said, she should become the first Young Yoo! But anyway, I really like her powerful style and skating skills. I really hope puberty is kind on her (She does have solid jumping technique, so there is a much, much higher chance that she will survive! :))

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
I'm still waiting for the first Yunia Kimnitskaya. Too of my absolute favorites combined into one amazing package that I can go uber silly over :yes:

I'm not holding my breath for Yumao Kimsada. That would be too much and CoP would fail on all levels :laugh:

Oh my god! Yunia Kimintskaya would absolutely be my dream!!

That would be the PERFECT skater!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hahahaha. Sorry guys!

I was actually debating whether to put Yu-na in the title, but even knowing that people will rip me apart, I just couldn't help it! Ahh. I'm regretting it now! :slink:

I definitely do NOT want Young Yoo to be 100% Yu-na. As people have said, she should become the first Young Yoo! But anyway, I really like her powerful style and skating skills. I really hope puberty is kind on her (She does have solid jumping technique, so there is a much, much high chance that she will survive! :)
It's all good. Figure skating needs some fun in it and this thread is just one way. I think everyone would welcome any skater that can accomplish the same level of excitement and quality of a skater that Yuna was placements and medals aside :yes:

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
It's all good. Figure skating needs some fun in it and this thread is just one way. I think everyone would welcome any skater that can accomplish the same level of excitement and quality of skater of Yuna :yes:

Haha. Yes! To clarify, I was trying to ask whether she will become a successful skater like Yu-na in a underrepresented federation. Not if she will become a 100% clone. Sorry for misleading everyone!

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
The thing about Yuna, as far as I'm concerned, were not her jumps, intepretation etc. It was her mindset. She is the strongest competitor I've ever seen. I could compare her with Rodnina in Pairs. People with that kind of attitude and mindset are born one in a million.