How good is Ilya Averbukh? | Golden Skate

How good is Ilya Averbukh?

boskil

Match Penalty
So last seasons he choreographed programs for:
- Julia in 2013/2014 (SP, LP), 2014/15 (SP, LP)
- Elena in 2013/2014 (SP, LP), 2014/15 (SP, LP) and
- Zhenya in 2015/2016 LP.

These 15-16yo debutants basically occupied the podiums with his choreography (except for Lipnitskaya's 14/15 LP).
I'd say, Julia's "Don't Give Up on Love", SL and Megapolis, Elena's JLo, Zhenya's "Deaf girl tribute" are quite memorable and enchanting programs for fans as well. He kinda hid the weaknesses of those youngsters and masterfully accentuated their strengths, found a way to communicate and project through completely different personalities, from different groups (Goncharenko, Tutberidze) and gave three adorable girls the platform to shine in the ladies' world.
Is he up there on the very top of international choreographers yet or he just got lucky with some great peaking talents making work easy for him? :)

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
It certainly did help that he worked with such talents with enormous abilities, but still his SL or Medvedeva's long this year are ones of the unmatched in choreography. By the way! It was him who made Makarova's short program!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ky78SThBpY

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Is he up there on the very top of international choreographers yet or he just got lucky with some great peaking talents making work easy for him? :)
I think he is. But he needs very good skaters to work with. koatcue mentioned Makarova - just compare Makarova's Megapolis to Lipnitskaya's. It felt as if Makarova was overwhelmed with the choreography (and he has a reputation of not making compromises as far as I know) and Lipnitskaya wasn't. His programs are usually rather busy, this can get problematic if the skater isn't at the top of his game.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
So last seasons he choreographed both programs for:
- Elena in 2014/15 (SP, LP) and

Elena's Rachmaninoff FS was not by Averbukh.

Edit: My bad. It was partly by him and Elena Maslennikova. I always thought it was only her.

Last edited:

boskil

Match Penalty
It certainly did help that he worked with such talents with enormous abilities, but still his SL or Medvedeva's long this year are ones of the unmatched in choreography. By the way! It was him who made Makarova's short program!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ky78SThBpY
You can say she's trying hard with her hands movement, but she's either nervous because of falls or not graceful enough to embrace the choreography. It's still looking good, but not fluid and gives "forced" impression.

Interesting fact about Averbukh: circa 2010 Forbes estimated his yearly income at over 2mil $ and in interview two weeks ago he said his pay for the program is 1500-1800$. It's usually paid by RusFed, sometimes if he calls for more, coach and the skater can share some additional money from their own federation allowance.
He claimed, he "doesn't make money on (competitive) skaters".

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
You can say she's trying hard with her hands movement, but she's either nervous because of falls or not graceful enough to embrace the choreography. It's still looking good, but not fluid and gives "forced" impression.
I remember Makarova:) She was the "it" girl at the time. Certainly the best we had..I put her program here because from that moment, i.e. her program being successful and receiving good feedback, that music became quite mainstream:) Averbukh has good music collection and taste.

andromache

Record Breaker
Evgenia's LP this season is a masterpiece.

It's also some of the only choreography that makes me not mind the skater wearing gloves :laugh:.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
He is my fav choreographer, Yulia's SL, Elena's Nero and Zhenia's LP are truly masterpieces.

Other memorable programs by Averbukh

Sergei Voronov 2013-14 LP

Victoria Sinitsina & Ruslan Zhiganshin 2013-2014 LP

I think he also choreographed Zhiganshina/Gatsi 2013/14 SD & FD and their epic "Zombies" program.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Interesting fact about Averbukh: circa 2010 Forbes estimated his yearly income at over 2mil $ and in interview two weeks ago he said his pay for the program is 1500-1800$. It's usually paid by RusFed, sometimes if he calls for more, coach and the skater can share some additional money from their own federation allowance.

He's either telling a big one, itching for more money from the Fed or one of the worst money managers. Does he make enough for supporting himself on a yearly basis only choreographing a handful of routines, no especially if he's only choreographing a handful of programs, but it's seems quite a stretch for him to say he does make any money on competitive skaters.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Fun fact: he is making few $ mils a year from his ice show business. But Russian skating Feds are paying him just few $ K for his choreography. I guess he is creating those amazing programs of his out of professional pride and obviously to keep up his image as great choreographer. I call his the main gray cardinal de Richelieu of Russian figure skating. While TAT is obviously being a ferry godmother, in this scenario, Radio - sinking Cinderella, Raphael Arutyunyan - passionate and hot-tempered D'Artagnan and Eteri Tutberidze - beautiful and ruthless Milady de Winter. Ok I throw in Christopher Dean as a Duke of Buckingham in the mix for the heck of it. :)

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Fun fact: he is making few $ mils a year from his ice show business. But Russian skating Feds are paying him just few $ K for his choreography. I guess he is creating those amazing programs of his out of professional pride and obviously to keep up his image as great choreographer. I call his the main gray cardinal de Richelieu of Russian figure skating. While TAT is obviously being a ferry godmother, in this scenario, Radio - sinking Cinderella, Raphael Arutyunyan - passionate and hot-tempered D'Artagnan and Eteri Tutberidze - beautiful and ruthless Milady de Winter. Ok I throw in Christopher Dean as a Duke of Buckingham in the mix for the heck of it. :)

And suddenly I recalled figure skating "Mean Girls" edition:)

alskling

On the Ice

And who will be Monsieur Bonacieux?:laugh:

Amei

Record Breaker
Fun fact: he is making few $ mils a year from his ice show business. But Russian skating Feds are paying him just few $ K for his choreography. I guess he is creating those amazing programs of his out of professional pride and obviously to keep up his image as great choreographer.

I think he still choreographs for competitive programs because it gets his name out there - how many people really knew his name prior to Lipnitskaia made his Schindler's list program famous. If his name doesn't get out as a great choreographer, who will come to his show unless he has big-name skaters to draw them in (which costs money).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:curse: What a bunch of bull!! He banked and had some of his most successful shows after Sochi featuring Julia who is a competitive skater. I don't care what he says but he sold out show after show where everyone teased Julia on the bus because everyone came to see her more than anyone and went crazy over her. Whatever....dudes on my SL so I'm probably a little harsh on him. I honestly don't think Zhenia's program is anything special outside of the amazing pristine delivery she gave to it. To me she gets all of the credit for going boss all season. YMMV.

Last edited:

janav

On the Ice

OMG Alexz, turn this into a fanfiction story! I would totally read that! :biggrin:

I really like Averbukh's style. I wonder if he'll choreograph for some foreign skaters in the future as well. Or is there a language barrier? Just on the top of my head, I think his style would really suit Satoko's but of course, Satoko seems to gel well with Lori so there is no reason for her to change choreographers. Or maybe So Youn? Zijun?...Of course, just my musings, I can't sleep ;)

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
I think he still choreographs for competitive programs because it gets his name out there - how many people really knew his name prior to Lipnitskaia made his Schindler's list program famous. If his name doesn't get out as a great choreographer, who will come to his show unless he has big-name skaters to draw them in (which costs money).

Seriously? Averbukh has long been a big name in Russian skating and making lots of money before Sochi and Lipnitskaya. He produces a lot of popular TV programs, both skating and non-skating related. All the Ice Age shows and Tours, which have been running since 2006, were produced by him. He doesn't need the money from the skaters.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States

Yeah, I watched this interview on Dozhd TV where he confirmed those numbers. But he profits a lot not on his actual choreography for competitive skaters, but more because of building good relationship with powerful Russian FS Feds - kinda I scratch your backs, you scratch mine. Russian Fed made a lot of TV appearances (including few prime time shows like Late night with Urgant and etc) for Pogorilaya and Medvedeva. My understanding that it was a Russian FS fed who made this possible. I mean, cmon, Russia is a big nation and is making world champs in some other sports every week, but not all of them making prime time special feature on TV. So, clearly, it was Feds who send their cute little ice divas to TV, because it's only them who have such power to ask TV producers to show off figure skating girls for the whole country. With no prior notice. Just a day later after Worlds. The girls were dragged across all big TV channels and radios for almost a week. They both clearly enjoyed that adventure as well. Needless to say that it cost arm and a leg for just a minute on big TV channels. So at some point Feds even allowed for Averbukh himself to sit next to Evgenia Medvedeva and explain in his words what Zhenya's LP was about and fully take credits for it. I remember it was a morning show, just a 3-4 minutes. He sat next to Zhenya in a stylish urban / park environment and said some well-chosen words and gave quite elegant explanation of his choreography. Because, you know, sometimes it's worth it to "spell it out" for some people. :D A lot of Russians heard him and it sinked into their mind one more time: ok, he is indeed genius choreographer with a beautiful programs which make world champs out our girls year after year. Smart PR. So next time Acerbukh's ice show is in town - the whole family is going, no doubt. Out of respect, out of curiosity, or just for leisure family quality time. It sure as hell exposing yourself a little but to the art and culture beats sitting on a coach at home. I believe it's called: smart business strategy. Evgenia herself also mentioned multiple times on different occasions how she likes Ilya Averbukh's choreography, respects him personally and how easy and interesting to work with him.

Few minutes in front of the big TV audience along with a new World champion surely makes more money than being emotional and ranting as Arutyunyan in interview for YouTube channel with couple thousand views. So, Ilya picking his modus of operandi very strategically and wise. It makes him successful businessman. He actually mentioned in the same interview how he loves Rafik, how they are good friends and stuff.

Obviously, they know each other for a long time, both are great talents of the same caliber, but Averbukh is just playing a bigger and smarter game. He is cherry picking cream of the crop, selecting most perspective couches along with their young figure skating pick of the litter. And creating them an amazing choreography. After their success on tournaments he could just shyly (but firmly) stand beside new Russian star shinning and nod his head: yep, it was my choreography, come to my show next time I'm in town. :)

More and more Russian mamas are banging on the doors of figure skating classes. Russian Feds just need only to phone call all big TV channels for some show time for their cute figure skaters medalists and flood them in the rays of fame a bit. Build more ice rinks and make a special deals with international corporations to buy more ice skates and blades. Everyone wins. :)

Last edited: