How good is Ilya Averbukh? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How good is Ilya Averbukh?

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think he still choreographs for competitive programs because it gets his name out there - how many people really knew his name prior to Lipnitskaia made his Schindler's list program famous. If his name doesn't get out as a great choreographer, who will come to his show unless he has big-name skaters to draw them in (which costs money).

Excatly. As we say it in the states: name sells. :) Averbukh is a brand of himself already. A new brand, but already a brand.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
OMG Alexz, turn this into a fanfiction story! I would totally read that! :biggrin:

I really like Averbukh's style. I wonder if he'll choreograph for some foreign skaters in the future as well. Or is there a language barrier? Just on the top of my head, I think his style would really suit Satoko's but of course, Satoko seems to gel well with Lori so there is no reason for her to change choreographers. Or maybe So Youn? Zijun?...Of course, just my musings, I can't sleep ;)

He trained in Delaware with Irina Lobacheva, although i've never seen Ilya speak english.

I hope he will continue to choreograph Evgenia's programs and become what David Wilson has been for Yuna Kim. I mean Eteri has the best lady skater available at the moment, so you have to choose the best people to work with her, i don't want to see another talent with such terrible programs like Yulia and Elena this season.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
:curse: What a bunch of bull!! He banked and had some of his most successful shows after Sochi featuring Julia who is a competitive skater. I don't care what he says but he sold out show after show where everyone teased Julia on the bus because everyone came to see her more than anyone and went crazy over her. Whatever....dudes on my SL so I'm probably a little harsh on him. I honestly don't think Zhenia's program is anything special outside of the amazing pristine delivery she gave to it. To me she gets all of the credit for going boss all season. YMMV.

No reason to overreact tho. He certainly making money. But he basically monetizing his own talent as choreographer. Certainty he is giving awayshis best choreography only to the best and most perspective skaters (like Yulia, Radio, Medvedik). And naturally he is inviting them into his show after their international success. People want to see new rising stars up close in a flesh. Not everyone can travel and roll out big $ for visiting international competitions every year. There is a big audience (a very knowledgable and with a good taste too) for FS in Russia. So, certainly, he is making money by brining famous russian champs into small towns all across Russia. People are gladly paying money to see Lipnitskaya and alike to skate in front of them. Figure skaters are also receiving good money for it too. Besides Averbukh taking them traveling across the country and abroad, it's quite and adventure of itself. Whats not to love? Figure skaters do home-school-ice rink routine day into day for many months for polishing their skills. After long season of competing it's great for them to take a travel with bunch of other famous figure skaters and travel a bit to see more places and meet more people. What's not to love? Especially if you are being generously paid for it as well. Clearly Acerbukh not doing it out of charity, it's his business and income for daily bread after all. :)

Yeah, he banked after Sochi success and before Sochi even more. So what? He will bank some more in the future. It's called business. It's the thing that pays the bill for lights and energy for water pumps to keep the ice rinks running. ;) He is packing some serious talent for amazing choreography and has some great skills for organizing and producing ice shows (TV production as well). No reason why he should stop capitalize on his own skills. He certainly taking advantage of other young people's talents too, but in a good way: he is helping and working on ice himself too. I believe they call it a beneficial cooperation. :)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think he is. But he needs very good skaters to work with. koatcue mentioned Makarova - just compare Makarova's Megapolis to Lipnitskaya's. It felt as if Makarova was overwhelmed with the choreography (and he has a reputation of not making compromises as far as I know) and Lipnitskaya wasn't. His programs are usually rather busy, this can get problematic if the skater isn't at the top of his game.

I have a question. Is Ksenia Makarova the skater that you're talking about? I thought she was coached by Viktor Petrenko: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xJKc7BHEl8

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
- I really like him as a choreographer..:bow:

If we are talking about the business, the shows..Some years ago Arthur Dmitriev had own ice show, too..But not today...Why? Probably because Averbukh is a better businessman, and he has contract with the TV. Averbukh's privileg to make ice shows throughout the summer in Sochi. Yagudin and Totmianina and many other famous Russian skaters are working there.

One person has chance to make own ice shows, that is Plushenko. The Kings On Ice is their show with Edvin Marton. There were some shows in different Russian cities, but Averbukh works against them. Plushenko had very succesful ice shows in Moscow and St. Peterburg the Snow King and the Snow King2 . In both years the shows had 130-140.000 viewers.

Interesting story: Before Sochi OG Yana Rudkovskaya Plushy's wife and agent in Russia ( a very succesful business woman) organized a tour for Plushenko in 60 Russian cities after the Sochi OG. Plushy got injured, but in those days no one knows what is his real problem. He culdn't skate he had great pain but he had 60 signed contracts with the organizers!!!! They didn't cancel immediately, they were waiting for the medical examinations in Israel. In those days Averbukh and especially Yagudin attacked Plushenko so hardly, Yagudin shouted on every forum, TV talk show , articles : Plushenko had no injury, he didn't want to skate on individual competition, he wanted to advertise his shows. They had a great role in the scandal. But after the medical examinations became clear what happened in Plushy's spine, he had a new surgery and they canceled the shows. And the end of the story in Russia there is a humorist, pranker who calls the celebrities and with other person's voice says something. He called Yagudin and threatened his family with Yana's voice: because Alexei attacked Plushy. Alexei wasn't at home he had an Averbukh show somewhere. Some minutes later the pranker called him again and he told to Alexei that was a joke, he recorded the talking, and will share on Internet. But Yagudin wanted to "kill" his old rival when Plushy was in the greatest trouble in his life because of his withdrawal!!! He shared a twitt on Twitter he wrote Plushenko threatened his family. The pranker was surprised because he already told the truth to Alexei. This is a real story. After this Plushenko said Yagudin doesn't exist for him.
And that is the biggest joke, some months later in an interview Yagudin said Plushenko was a good decision to send Sochi.

Last edited:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ah, Plushenko / Yagudin dramance. I kinda missed it back then (was a bit busy with my own post-Sochi dues), but i feel like don't really miss it all. :) I heard some snippets from some of my Moscow friends that Averbukh skillfully trolled Plushenko through media press a bit, and Yagudin was rather harsh on Plushy. Plushenko responded in a very emotional manner. Subsequently lot of people around a globe consumed bunch of popcorn drama as the whole mess unrolled. :popcorn:

There is a very strong and very determined woman behind Plushy (from what I heard of). Usually a good thing, tho sometimes it's really not. ;)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
She was then she moved to St. Petersburg and was coached by Rukavitsyn. Now she is back in the US.

Ksenia Makarova lives in the US? Are kidding, where? I loved seeing her live in 2010. She was at Skate Canada.

Last edited:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
For me his programs are my least favourite aspect of those skaters careers,
You could say in his defence though that the choreographies are age appropriate, I guess

Last edited:

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Ksenia Makarova lives in the US? Are kidding, where? I loved seeing her live in 2010. She was at Skate Canada.

Her parents moved to New York in 2000 and still live and coach in Newburgh. Last year, Aliev and Leonova came to their rink with Rukavitsin to do a master class.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Her parents moved to New York in 2000 and still live and coach in Newburgh. Last year, Aliev and Leonova came to their rink with Rukavitsin to do a master class.

Wow!!!!! I would have loved to have been there just to watch them work together. Thank you....:thank:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Ah, Plushenko / Yagudin dramance. I kinda missed it back then (was a bit busy with my own post-Sochi dues), but i feel like don't really miss it all. :) I heard some snippets from some of my Moscow friends that Averbukh skillfully trolled Plushenko through media press a bit, and Yagudin was rather harsh on Plushy. Plushenko responded in a very emotional manner. Subsequently lot of people around a globe consumed bunch of popcorn drama as the whole mess unrolled. :popcorn:

There is a very strong and very determined woman behind Plushy (from what I heard of). Usually a good thing, tho sometimes it's really not. ;)

I don't think that is a "dramance". That was a very serious attack from Yagudin and Averbukh. Plushenko had a very dangerous surgery in March 2013. He did a superhuman struggle with the pain in the preration to Sochi OG. He wrote history. But he had no enough time to Rus Nat
And I'm sure the Rus Fed wanted to send him to Sochi from the beginning as they did before Vancouver. They really wanted to the team gold. But Plushy lost to Kovtun. Everybody knows the story. And after Plushy's injury on warm up in front of the millions of people in the world, Yagudin and Averbukh said those words!!!! Plushy had no injury! and many people believed them..eh...there are many stupid persons! And the very unbelieveable Yagudin action on Twitter! I can't believe it! He knew the truth! There is pranker's video on Youtube about it!
Alexei's twit: https://twitter.com/yagudinofficial/status/435591464924774400
Беспредел продолжается!!! Если со мной или с кем из моей семьи что-то случится, вините Яну и Женю и их окружение
google translate
Lawlessness continues !!! If with me or with someone in my family something happens, blame Yana and Eugene and their surroundings !!!! :reye: :dev2:
Alexei knew what he is doing, he lied because he wanted to harm Plushy he wanted to get into trouble when Plush was the most vulnerable.

About Yana. She is a determined woman,yes. She is very famous, infamous, beloved, hated woman in Russia. Se isn't a tipical Russian woman who cocks and bakes in the kitchen. Many Russians weren't happy when they married, and started the speculation...That is a PR action, etc. But she is an undoubtedly talented person, a workaholic, who loves Plushy so much. She is a wise woman she can handle Plushy's popularity among the women ( the first wife was very very jealous), Plushy's popularity in general. In fact she can use it!!!
And some Russians exaggerate a little bit when they say Yana is the boss, Yana manages Plushenko in every moment of his life as if Plushy would be a marionette puppet. Plushy is also a strong-willed man, so I believe they have some battles... But you are right, Yana has some serious arguments. https://www.instagram.com/p/BERRAfHlSKv/?taken-by=rudkovskayaofficial Sorry Plushy, it was a bad joke, but I could not miss it! :laugh:

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For me his programs are my least favourite aspect of those skaters careers,
You could say in his defence though that the choreographies are age appropriate, I guess

Being age appropriate is a big plus. I don't know what's worse, a 12-year-old Carmen/seductress or an older teen skating a "carefree-little-girl" program.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Well...as if Iliya knew what we're talking about

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAPqp60FSKp/?taken-by=rudkovskayaofficial this is a post on Yana's Instagram in January 2016. : "But Moscow and St. .Petersburg the end of December 2016 and at the beginning of January 2017 waiting for the premiere of "The Nutcracker" by Yevgeny Plushenko!
I think that we will again be able to surprise you with our new "Nutcracker" to the music of Tchaikovsky's brilliant! 💫✨🌟🎉 We do not say goodbye"

Averbukh post on his Facebook today: https://www.facebook.com/icesymphon...271908453151/1070143329699333/?type=3&theater

"Ilya Averbukh announced the beginning of a New Year's show" The Nutcracker ". The show will be presented to the Moscow public in December 2016 in one of the largest metropolitan arenas. Starring Olympic champions Alexei Yagudin (Mouse King), Tatiana Totmianina (Masha) and Maxim Marinin (Nutcracker). "The Nutcracker" will be one of the most spectacular and expensive projects Ilia Averbukh - costume designs created by the best designers in France, for a complex multi-level set design are used dozens of tons of equipment."

hm...the question is..How good is Averbukh as a person?

Last edited:

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Well...as if Iliya knew what we're talking about

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAPqp60FSKp/?taken-by=rudkovskayaofficial this is a post on Yana's Instagram in January 2016. : "But Moscow and St. .Petersburg the end of December 2016 and at the beginning of January 2017 waiting for the premiere of "The Nutcracker" by Yevgeny Plushenko!

Averbukh post on his Facebook today: https://www.facebook.com/icesymphon...271908453151/1070143329699333/?type=3&theater

"Ilya Averbukh announced the beginning of a New Year's show" The Nutcracker ". The show will be presented to the Moscow

No different than every ballet company in the world doing Nutcracker doing the holiday season. And they're not even the first skaters to produce a Nutcracker show. Tchernyshev produced one last year. This is business and Averbukh is no better or worse than Rudkovskaya. They both are aggressive, shameless self-promoters. They both have their core group of stars. They both give employment to a lot of skaters who were nowhere close to achieving what Plushenko or Yagudin achieved (Andrei Kosytsin for example). I doubt Rudkovskaya is any less ruthless than Averbukh.

Last edited:

Lila11

Rinkside
What then will become of Plushy's nutcracker show?
Noooooo :(
Among all the possibilities for new project, why Averbukh had to choose the same 'nutcracker'?
I mean, he never lack material for ice show
Is this a kind of power struggle?

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
You mean he is copycat? :)

Well. Nutcracker is the well-known Russian classics. It's beloved in Russia since the end of 18th century. Tchaikovsky took the German folklore story (with subsequent re-work by Hoffmann and Alexander Dumas) and some of the German Christmas traditions (you know silver fur christmas tree, stockings, sugar cane, plum ferry, Christmas presents, Etc) as a concept behind his eternal masterpiece. It find its way to America somewhere around 1950s-1960s along with beautiful music of Tchaikovsky. I not sure but it's gotta be Russian immigrant Balanchine who actually introduced it to American public, since that time Nutcracker is NA phenomena. All Chrrismas traditions (originally a very European thing) became even more popular and widely spread in NA after that. If you google for "Nutcracker" in any American big city during Christmas time, you will probably find 20+ different local Nutcracker-themed shows in the area.

Russians been doing those for over a century already. It's one of their traditional thing to do for Christmas time during Dec-Jan in Russia. Russians not really that crazy about it, because they have many more festivities and ways to celebrate Christmas, but it's one of their good ones they like to have their kids to enjoy and to be exposed to art through it at young ages. Russian mamas dragging their kids to Nutcrakcer performances every single year almost religiously. They like to expose their kids to the culture and arts in earlier ages, so the kids can learn how nice lines should look like, how gracefully movements and posture should be, how to dress, behave and keep themselves at cultural events. They develop manners, good taste and sense of harmony and beauty in their kids in the very young ages. Nutcracker show is an easy art form and interesting for young kids, certainly it would be popular choice.

There is probably about 100 of different Nutcracker shows every single year just in Moscow alone during winter season. Ranging from elite performance by Bolshoi (very bold, colorful, blockbuster version), or Mariinsky (more refined, sophisticated, very authentic, elegant and very close to the original concept of Petipa and original choreography by Lev Ivanov dating back to 18th century), or other multiple ballet companies thought out Russia (modern ballet or Russian Imperial ballet, different versions or interpretations, etc) to the Nutcracker-themed rave parties with DJs. Not just dance or ballet tho, it can be poetry nights, museum expo, art exhibitions, modern dance, wild night club parties, street performances (like street circus artists or dancers, even open air ice shows) - all that with somewhat Nutcracker theme behind it.

Talking from my personal experience here. Last time I visited Moscow for NY my local friends took me out to one of Kusnerovich's famous New Year party. It was ball masquerade (somewhat Nutcracker spirited too) like some Russian Halloween costume party, but no scary-themes, but fun and humor mostly. Everything was decorated in Russian avangardism and realism-art retro spirit of 1920s-1940s. It was very stylish and tons of fun games in general. Lots of interesting people. I understand it was some kind of private party, but there were hoards of people in a very big venue with multiple levels. They know how to party tho.

BTW, Kusnerovich it's the fashion guy who is behind Russian nationals team sport outwear. All those stylish jackets and hoodies we have seen on Russians are all his products. Some key design for symbolics and concept for Sochi Olympics were also made by his team. He is providing endless supply of more than 50 different items to every Russian athlete for free. In return Russian government allowing him selling his sport outwear for Russian fans under the brand of Official Olympic team. It's pricey, but quality and fabrics are exactly as Russian athletes' outfits have. At least so they advertise. Dunno.

In short, having any kind of Nutcracker-themed performance is a must and an obvious choice, really. No Russian ballet or any dance company for that matter are ever legit without having Nutcracker under their belt.

Certainly any ice show should have Nutcracker in their repertoire as well. It's really a no-brainer and a big money-maker.

Last edited: