Decisions of ISU Council 24 Oct 2016 | Golden Skate

Decisions of ISU Council 24 Oct 2016

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
JGP in Australia, 2017 !!!

Meeting was a little while ago, but PDF was just published today:
http://www.isu.org/en/news-and-events/news/2016/10/2053-decisions-of-the-isu-council

"the ISU is investigating, in cooperation with the concerned ISU Members,
the feasibility of a first demonstration of an Ultimate Skating Program on the occasion of the
exhibition at the end of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017 in Helsinki,
Finland."

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Karne and other Aussies will be thrilled :biggrin: I still think they should make at least one more JGP outside of Europe.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
http://static.isu.org/media/406753/2053-decisions-of-the-isu-council-geneva-october-2016.pdf

ISU Communication 2053
24 Oct 2016

3. ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Calendar season 2017/18
The Council has approved the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Calendar for the season

2017/18 as follows:

Brisbane, Australia August 21-27, 2017
Salzburg, Austria August 28-September 3, 2017
Riga, Latvia September 4-10, 2017 (including Pair Skating)
Minsk, Belarus September 18-24, 2017 (including Pair Skating)
Zagreb, Croatia September 25-October 1, 2017 (including Pair Skating)
Gdansk, Poland October 2-8, 2017 (including Pair Skating)
Egna/Bolzano, Italy October 9-15, 2017

Except Australia, all events are held in Europe.

naz

On the Ice
9. Ultimate Skating
The Council evaluated a new initiative currently called “Ultimate Skating”. This is a team
performance in which teams are comprised of 8 to 10 Skaters from different ISU Figure Skating
disciplines, for example either 2 Pairs, 2 Ice Dance Couples and 4 Single Skaters. The goal is
to use not only traditional, but also original, innovative and currently not allowed elements, to
create a format being attractive to a young generation of viewers. Subject to the availability of
ISU Members and Skaters (which might also include ineligible Skaters) matching the abovementioned
profile, the ISU is investigating, in cooperation with the concerned ISU Members,
the feasibility of a first demonstration of an Ultimate Skating Program on the occasion of the
exhibition at the end of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017 in Helsinki,
Finland.

okayyy this is really interesting! team performance? which skaters? this could happen in Helsinki?
is this like the better version of the exhibition finale?

honestly can't wait to see what all of this ends up looking like, hopefully the idea will stick!

noskates

Record Breaker
This does sound interesting but would the top skaters in the countries risk injury by innovative and currently not allowed elements? I can see this as an attempt by the ISU to garner more attention to figure skating but would really hate to see injuries resulting from it. Also - training time for a program like this? I think I want to hear more about it before I get excited.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
The Ultimate Skating kind of reminds me of that figure skating battle idea they had going in The Hague at the Challenge Cup a few years ago...

Pamigena

Record Breaker
This does sound interesting but would the top skaters in the countries risk injury by innovative and currently not allowed elements?
Don't they do that already in exhibitions? :confused2: Like pairs doing risky tricks that aren't allowed in competition, guys doing backflips and jumping over people lying on the ice.....

moriel

Record Breaker
Traveling to Australia may be painful though. Far and expensive for everybody except australian skaters.

I know it may be an unpopular oppinion, but they rather should have 2 in North America (USA and Canada) and 1 or 2 in Asia (Japan / China).
Based on JGP16 winners distribution (too lazy to look through participants).
I know its unpopular, but juniors don´t get such support from fed or from companies, and have less income options such as shows than seniors. So imho, rather than making everybody travel overseas to a country that is still developing FS, i would keep it close to already existing skaters to make it cheaper for majority.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Traveling to Australia may be painful though. Far and expensive for everybody except australian skaters.

No harder than getting to Europe or North America for skaters from China or southeast Asia/Oceania such as Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, New Zealand of course. And South Africa.

Some of these federations are new/small and rarely send skaters to senior events (and would need to send seniors to other events to get minimum scores for Four Continents). They often have skaters ready to try themselves on the JGP before they're ready for senior level. Or for very new federations, sometimes the skaters aren't even ready for JGP but they go anyway to find out what it would take to be ready.

So imho, rather than making everybody travel overseas to a country that is still developing FS, i would keep it close to already existing skaters to make it cheaper for majority.

That's one reason why so many events are in Europe already.

But there need to be some exceptions sometimes so that it's not always even more expensive for the minority.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Don't they do that already in exhibitions? :confused2: Like pairs doing risky tricks that aren't allowed in competition, guys doing backflips and jumping over people lying on the ice.....

Other skills that don't have a place in current program rules (either because they're not allowed at all or because they would take too much time and/or energy compared to their point value and not leave enough for the rest of the elements) but might be fun to play with:

Jump combinations or sequences that include three of the same jump
Four-jump combos
Jump combos with quad as the final jump
Jump combos with jumps in both directions
Jump sequences that include steps between the jumps that would invalidate the sequence under the current rules
Jump sequences with multiple triples (or quads) that would waste points under the current sequence rules
Jump combinations or sequences that last as long as possible with many double and single jumps and maybe some triples/quads

Spin combos (or sequences, like Gusmeroli's at the end of her 2000 FS with transitions between spins that make them separate elements) that last as long as possible with more features than IJS would give credit for

Spins in single positions held for as long as possible that would only qualify as level B or level 1 under IJS

Multirotational jumps on the entrances or exits or in the middle of sustained spins

Spins that include rotating on with body parts other than blades on the ice

Sequences of steps/field moves that include choreographed falls, rolling or sliding on the ice, at the end or with a recovery back to skating

Lots more possibilities for pairs, including some that are already popular in exhibitions

TGee

Record Breaker
No harder than getting to Europe or North America for skaters from China or southeast Asia/Oceania such as Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, New Zealand of course. And South Africa.

Some of these federations are new/small and rarely send skaters to senior events (and would need to send seniors to other events to get minimum scores for Four Continents). They often have skaters ready to try themselves on the JGP before they're ready for senior level. Or for very new federations, sometimes the skaters aren't even ready for JGP but they go anyway to find out what it would take to be ready.

But there need to be some exceptions sometimes so that it's not always even more expensive for the minority.

Reading over the whole communication, the strategic direction is to increase the base for skating globally. Marketing is the focus of the upcoming conference for example.

Building the base of fans, and building the strength of the federations outside of the traditional areas of strength is in line with that strategy. National federations need the kind of experience that comes from hosting JPG events. It builds a fan base. And it builds recognition within their national sports federations that skating is becoming an important sport within their country.

40 years ago would we have thought that Japan and China would be two of the strongest countries, and a huge part of the fan base? Even five years ago, would we have thought that Spain would have a world champion and host to GP Finals back to back?

And frankly European skaters currently benefit from having a hugely disproportionate number of ISU accredited events at all levels IMO. I commented on this a bit ago on the what motivates lower tier skaters thread.... Even North American federations cannot afford to get their skaters to many of the European events and there are only 2 Challenger events in NA, . It appears to be a huge advantage for European federations, whether or not they have top ranked skaters.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker

This is why i suggested North America (which would make it nicier for a bunch of american and canadian skaters) and Japan or something there, which would be nice for japanese/chinese/korean skaters.

Imho, if they wanna expand the fanbase, move around senior GPs, do not mess up and make it more expensive for juniors, who may not always have funding to travel so far away. Senior GP attracts way more people, and senior skaters usually can handle with more ease the associated traveling expenses.

gkelly

Record Breaker
This is why i suggested North America (which would make it nicier for a bunch of american and canadian skaters) and Japan or something there, which would be nice for japanese/chinese/korean skaters.

As they often do. And yes, it would be good to have at least one or two in a Four Continents country every year. But there are only 3 federations (only 2 big ones) in North America, as opposed to dozens in Europe. So if the 4Cs-country JGPs rotate every few years, occasionally there will not be one in North America or in Asia.

I agree it's a problem to have none in either of those northern continents/large federations. But that doesn't mean the southern hemisphere federations should never get to host an event, or to have one a little closer to home.

How are these federations supposed to develop, how are their juniors supposed get affordable experience, if their skaters always have to travel halfway around the world to get to even the lowest-level international?

There are still 6 other JGPs. There may be little attendance of the Australian one compared to the European ones next year. But there will be more participation by Australian skaters and most likely more participation by other Pacific rim skaters than in years when all events are in Europe and NA.

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Imho, if they wanna expand the fanbase, move around senior GPs, do not mess up and make it more expensive for juniors, who may not always have funding to travel so far away. Senior GP attracts way more people, and senior skaters usually can handle with more ease the associated traveling expenses.

I agree so much. While I was watching the JGP, and in fact also the other events, I was always wondering how the skaters travel to the host city. They always pick some places where there is no direct connection from capitals or major cities of other countries, like Saransk and Saint Gervais, both are beautiful cities, but I don't think its suitable for hosting a sports competition because the transportation is inconvenient. The cost is too high for junior skaters, and probably higher than senior skaters (imagine travelling to Moscow and making an extra leg to Saransk). Every time I am so worried that the young skaters are exhausted from extra long haul transportation that they could not perform well. I think the ISU should pick major cities, like Paris or Moscow as host cities to cut down the travelling time and the burden it brings to the athletes.

TGee

Record Breaker
I agree so much. While I was watching the JGP, and in fact also the other events, I was always wondering how the skaters travel to the host city. They always pick some places where there is no direct connection from capitals or major cities of other countries, like Saransk and Saint Gervais, both are beautiful cities, but I don't think its suitable for hosting a sports competition because the transportation is inconvenient. The cost is too high for junior skaters, and probably higher than senior skaters (imagine travelling to Moscow and making an extra leg to Saransk). Every time I am so worried that the young skaters are exhausted from extra long haul transportation that they could not perform well. I think the ISU should pick major cities, like Paris or Moscow as host cities to cut down the travelling time and the burden it brings to the athletes.

Not to reiterate too much the discussion on the Skate America thread, but major cities are expensive to stay in, and they don't bring out crowds or care to bid or support junior competitions.

Even for GPs, Skate Canada has moved out of the metropolitan areas, but at least tries to go to places with tourist infrastructure. There is a trade off beyond the build the base strategy.

A smaller venue may require a secondary domestic flight, but it will also mean affordable meals and lodging once the juniors get there.

Take your example of Moscow, it's extraordinarily expensive, especially if one doesn't speak Russian and can't go outside of the hotels and nearby restaurants. I hadn't realized how pricey it was until I was there for a conference and had to get my non-Russian speaking colleagues a snack and some nibbles for their rooms the night we arrived at the American hotel that we were booked at. Not somewhere I would have booked at, but I don't think that the domestic chains would have been interested in handling the needs of the group.

In smaller place, hosting a JPG is a big deal, and the community will reach out to support the athletes, and struggle past the language barrier.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
In the 2018-2019 season I hope to see a JGP event in North America. European skaters get many opportunities to compete close to home at ISU events. North American skaters get 4, unless Four Continents, GPF or Worlds are scheduled in the US or Canada. One can make the argument there aren't as many skaters from the US and Canada, but there are also skaters who come from abroad to train in these countries. Those skaters, though representing various regions, would also benefit from the lower cost to compete close to where they train.

I say all this but with the 2018 Grand Prix Final in Vancouver and 2019 Four Continents in Colorado Springs it may be unlikely. Not sure about the 2019-2020 season either as Worlds may be in Canada. :eek:hwell:

TGee

Record Breaker
In the 2018-2019 season I hope to see a JGP event in North America. European skaters get many opportunities to compete close to home at ISU events. North American skaters get 4, unless Four Continents, GPF or Worlds are scheduled in the US or Canada. One can make the argument there aren't as many skaters from the US and Canada, but there are also skaters who come from abroad to train in these countries. Those skaters, though representing various regions, would also benefit from the lower cost to compete close to where they train.

I say all this but with the 2018 Grand Prix Final in Vancouver and 2019 Four Continents in Colorado Springs it may be unlikely. Not sure about the 2019-2020 season either as Worlds may be in Canada. :eek:hwell:

You and I are so on the same wavelength on this....:clap:

I'd like to chime in that for many up and coming skaters from Asia, a trip to North America may involve more direct flights.

:think: In the spirit of the ISU's focus on marketing and expanding the sport, I've been pondering what opportunities there are to increase the number of ISU sanctioned events in the hemisphere of the Americas. [And would love to hear some brainstorming from GS posters on opportunities in South Asia and Australia...]

Here's what I've come up with...

First off, looking at the glass half full, I think that kudos are in order for Skate Canada having established the Autumn Classic International. It's only been in existence for 3 years, and it doubled the number of NA Challenger events, but we're already recognizing that it's not enough. That said, I'd like to see more juniors at ACI and the introduction of an ISU sanctioned Advanced Novice event at AIC in order to offer an ISU event at that level in NA....

Next, I've been really hoping that Mexico could make something of it's new ISU Mexican Open international competition. A number of Asian countries, including Korea, sent skaters. And it included Novices and Juniors as well as Seniors. But unfortunately, the rink did not meet the size minimum. The scores still haven't been posted, and they will not count for TES minimums.

Mexico may need to make a choice between moving the competition around the country to promote the sport [as was said in the announcement of the creation of the event], and meeting the criteria for ISU sanctioning. The big rinks are reportedly in Mexico city, which presents other challenges, not least altitude. I recall from some of the media coverage on Elvis Stojko that, when he and his wife were helping at the rink in Guadalajara, he bought his own sharpner to help skaters, and a stud gun because no one else knew how to stud the tires for the Zamboni. Perhaps it will require building new Olympic sized rinks in centres like Guadalajara to make this viable for the ISU.

Next thought: Would the ISU sanction additional non-Challenger events in Canada and the US?

Would it be possible or worthwhile for some of the existing summer "international" competitions that are jointly sanctioned by Skate Canada and the USFSA to become fully sanctioned ISU events? I'm thinking about events like Skate Detroit and Central Ontario summer skate. There are several of these in both Canada and the US. While some European skaters do show up, they are usually ones that have come to train in NA, at least for the summer... We might get greater international representation if there was a North American Summer Cup event that rotated among these and was ISU sanctioned? It could increase the profile of the series of summer events in their local communities...

Last off, I'm wondering if there might be a major corporate sponsor in Canada and/or the US that would be willing to fund a senior ISU open event similar to the Japan Open. But I'm thinking of something after nationals... Not everyone gets to Europeans, 4CCs or Worlds. Europeans and Australians seem well represented at Torun in January, but for many skaters the season ends at nationals. What about an invitational open event in February in NA?